Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 20th, 2017, 20:31 PM   11
MinnieMe017
Trying to conceive (TTC)
New BnB member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Hello I am new here, but also just have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism two months ago. Been TTC about six months no luck. I've been on meds and doc says I'm in an OK range to try again but I am scared. Tsh is about 4.0 was 11.7 before meds yikes!



Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 08:24 AM   12
heaveneats
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMe017 View Post
Hello I am new here, but also just have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism two months ago. Been TTC about six months no luck. I've been on meds and doc says I'm in an OK range to try again but I am scared. Tsh is about 4.0 was 11.7 before meds yikes!
Hi Minnieme!

My levels are 5.6 right now hopefully medication will fix that unfortunately my thyroid is also swollen so they are unsure if i will ever be able to ovulate on my own anymore without help from medication. I'd love to follow your journey though, and i hope it happens for you soon!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 21st, 2017, 10:22 AM   13
Alleke
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 60
Hi ladies... I don't post much, but thyroid issues really irritate me! I've had Hashimoto's for 20 years, and if thyroid problems are managed, then fertility should not be a problem, at least related to thyroid.

I recommend that you read some - Shomon's books are excellent! There is a lot of history of thyroid issues and how they are tested and treated (falsified research, class action lawsuits for pharma companies, questionable monetary contributions, etc.), which leads to a lot of healthcare professionals not giving the best information. Many doctors just say that numbers are normal within the lab range. For years, patients told doctors that they don't feel well within that range, and suddenly the industry acquiesced and lowered the upper limit. These patients feel vindicated, but believe that the range still isn't low enough. Most people feel best and find they are healthiest with a fairly low TSH, although different people give different numbers. 1 is about the highest I let my TSH get.

Also, if your doctor is basing your medication on TSH, you should insist on a full thyroid panel, including FT3 and FT4. TSH doesn't give a complete picture.

Okay, that's enough of a rant. But really, if your doctor gives you the bs about lab range and blah blah, find a new doctor. Fertility is a serious effect, but not the only one. You'll probably have to advocate for yourself some, but if a doctor isn't willing to work with you, don't waste time.



Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:01 AM   14
Hopeful.89
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 733
I couldn't have said it better myself Alleke!

It is unfortunate that there is not more definite research on the thyroid. In my home province the range our doctors use is -0.5 to 5.0, for everyone. The range for an elderly person is the same range for a someone in their child bearing years, this simply doesn't make sense. From the research I have done I have realized the "ideal" range for TTC is between 0.5-2.0, of course being right around that 1.0 range is best! I conceived my son when my TSH level was 1.5, I didn't have the FT3 or FT4 checked as the only reason they investigated my thyroid was because of our infertility.

I knew my thyroid was out of whack again when these symptoms all came back full force and aggressive.

My tell tale signs that my thyroid is getting sluggish or out of ideal range is:
- weight gain (even though I have not changed my diet)
- hair loss (clumps and clumps in the shower)
- Foggy Brain
- extreme fatigue

I would love to share this journey of TTC with Hypothyroidism together, if anyone is interested



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:11 AM   15
heaveneats
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful.89 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself Alleke!

It is unfortunate that there is not more definite research on the thyroid. In my home province the range our doctors use is -0.5 to 5.0, for everyone. The range for an elderly person is the same range for a someone in their child bearing years, this simply doesn't make sense. From the research I have done I have realized the "ideal" range for TTC is between 0.5-2.0, of course being right around that 1.0 range is best! I conceived my son when my TSH level was 1.5, I didn't have the FT3 or FT4 checked as the only reason they investigated my thyroid was because of our infertility.

I knew my thyroid was out of whack again when these symptoms all came back full force and aggressive.

My tell tale signs that my thyroid is getting sluggish or out of ideal range is:
- weight gain (even though I have not changed my diet)
- hair loss (clumps and clumps in the shower)
- Foggy Brain
- extreme fatigue

I would love to share this journey of TTC with Hypothyroidism together, if anyone is interested
Hi there! absolutely join in!!

i have actually been taking ovulation tests because i somewhat refuse to believe my doctor that i'm not Ov'ing on my own, and bam i got a positive on sunday! i also had the normal ovulation pains sunday and yesterday so maybe just maybe i did ov all by myself! now i'm not sure how good my chances are because we did BD a few days before the positive OPK and the morning of the positive but that has been it so far, we were too tired last night and DH works tonight, i'm totally fine with what we did, i'm just happy i got a positive!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:27 AM   16
Hopeful.89
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 733
heaveneats, that is so great that you got that positive OPK, isn't it a great feeling!

Fingers crossed that you Bd enough to get that sticky bean, but if not at least you have a better idea of when you ovulate!

Are you temping as well?

This cycle is a bit of a write-off for us, as my husband was living away from us (Job training) for the last 8 weeks (home on weekends) and I don't think we were able to capitalize this last cycle. This is his last week away so starting in May we are going full on TTC mode again.

Some things I add to boost fertility and overall health are Maca Root and kelp to my smoothies, temping to confirm ovulation. Next cycle we will add preseed and OPK's!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 10:55 AM   17
heaveneats
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful.89 View Post
heaveneats, that is so great that you got that positive OPK, isn't it a great feeling!

Fingers crossed that you Bd enough to get that sticky bean, but if not at least you have a better idea of when you ovulate!

Are you temping as well?

This cycle is a bit of a write-off for us, as my husband was living away from us (Job training) for the last 8 weeks (home on weekends) and I don't think we were able to capitalize this last cycle. This is his last week away so starting in May we are going full on TTC mode again.

Some things I add to boost fertility and overall health are Maca Root and kelp to my smoothies, temping to confirm ovulation. Next cycle we will add preseed and OPK's!
no, no temping, i get up to much in the night for it to be effective, plus i hated doing it, i was more stressed out while doing that. This month was month 1 of 6 for TTC on our own without fertility medication



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 11:45 AM   18
Hopeful.89
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 733
I find temping super annoying and tedious. Unfortunately if we can't conceive on our own our doctors make us have temping charts for at least 3 months but they like 6 months before they will refer you to a fertility specialist. (Hopefully we don't have to go that route)



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 13:16 PM   19
heaveneats
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful.89 View Post
I find temping super annoying and tedious. Unfortunately if we can't conceive on our own our doctors make us have temping charts for at least 3 months but they like 6 months before they will refer you to a fertility specialist. (Hopefully we don't have to go that route)
yes thats what mine said, but no charting (yet haha) hes told me that i need to be trying my own for 6 months before he gives me clomid, which is weird because he has essentially told me i won't be able to conceive on my own without any help from it so why am i wasting 6 months. Thats why i'm actually going to be speaking to my old gynecologist to see if he will give it to me since he may know a bit more... i'm not sure though

right now i think its safe to say i'm in the TWW- i'll be keeping busy with work so that will make the time go by - hopefully i'll know by mother day if i'm pregnant or not



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 26th, 2017, 09:16 AM   20
Hopeful.89
Mum (Mom)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 733
That sucks that he thinks you won't conceive on your own but is making you waste 6 months, especially since you have other children and want to have them closer together.

I want my kids closer together so I hope it doesn't take too too long.

Woohoo! TWW I hope you get that awesome Mother's Day gift!



 
Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO