Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM   1
Housewife83
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,526

Testing when your cycle is longer then the standard 28 days


Hi folks,

I have a question about testing and AF. I've been reading that you should test with a FRER no more then 6 days before AF is expected. What I'm unclear about is how that applies to someone who has a cycle longer then the standard 28 day model.

My cycle is about 33 days so I'm 5 days out from that standard model. I'm pretty sure I was ovulating at the start of last week. So I'm probably around 7dpo although I can't be 100% sure.

Given that does it mean I should still wait a week to do a FRER? My AF isn't expected until the 24th, which means I'll probably be 18dpo by that point.

Help me charting fairies!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM   2
AmaryllisRed
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,925
That's a good question... I was just sort of wondering about the same thing. Because the whole point of the "no testing more than x days before your missed period" is because you usually implant 7-10 dpo, right? So... Shouldn't the box say it's accurate as early as 10 dpo?
I suppose if you have longer cycles, it's either because you ov late or you have a long LP, right?
So if you have a long LP, does that mean you have a longer window for implantation? Or will you still implant 7-10ish dpo?
I guess I have not only NOT answered your question, but raised more...
Sorry...
I hope someone knows the answer!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM   3
mlesfink
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 104
That is a really good question!! I hope to see an answer becuae I'm inthe same boat.



Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM   4
AmaryllisRed
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9,925
Michelle, your little boy is so cute!! My son is 3 1/2 as well.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM   5
croydongirl
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,296
It depends which part of your cycle is longer. Are you charting?
After ovulation you should be able to test at about 14 days later, however long your cycle is.
This is the same reason that women who have shorter cycles because of a shorter LP get frustrated when they try and test 7 days before their missed period. If they are only 3 dpo because of a 10day LP they would not get a result anymore than someone with a longer LP. It is dpo that you can test by, as some said above.

My understanding is that the window for implantation is similar for all women but it can be between day 3 and 12 dpo or something crazy.

You could start testing from about 10dpo - most women have LP of about 14 days even if they ovulate later so if you do not know when you ovulated, count back 14 days from when AF is due and count htat as 1dpo - when you hit 10dpo I would say you could start testing, but don't be sad if you get a negative result for the first few days, many bfp's do not show up until 13/14/15dpo.

Good luck - and I hope this makes sense.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM   6
Mrs HM
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,902
Hi there,
I've read that your LP is consistent, even if your cycles aren't. My cycles range from 26-30 days but I always have a LP of 13 days. So even if it looks like AF is 4 days late on a 30 day cycle, she's not really, she's just coming 13 days after O, which was four days later than before. I hope that makes sense!

Maybe you could use OPKs to detect your LH surge and then count the days until AF shows? That should tell you how long your LP is and when you can test.



Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM   7
Housewife83
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by croydongirl View Post
It depends which part of your cycle is longer. Are you charting?
After ovulation you should be able to test at about 14 days later, however long your cycle is.
This is the same reason that women who have shorter cycles because of a shorter LP get frustrated when they try and test 7 days before their missed period. If they are only 3 dpo because of a 10day LP they would not get a result anymore than someone with a longer LP. It is dpo that you can test by, as some said above.

My understanding is that the window for implantation is similar for all women but it can be between day 3 and 12 dpo or something crazy.

You could start testing from about 10dpo - most women have LP of about 14 days even if they ovulate later so if you do not know when you ovulated, count back 14 days from when AF is due and count htat as 1dpo - when you hit 10dpo I would say you could start testing, but don't be sad if you get a negative result for the first few days, many bfp's do not show up until 13/14/15dpo.

Good luck - and I hope this makes sense.
Thank you, I'm not charting yet but I will start (if I don't get my this time). Thank you for the information that does make things clearer.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM   8
Housewife83
Mum (Mom)
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs HM View Post
Hi there,
I've read that your LP is consistent, even if your cycles aren't. My cycles range from 26-30 days but I always have a LP of 13 days. So even if it looks like AF is 4 days late on a 30 day cycle, she's not really, she's just coming 13 days after O, which was four days later than before. I hope that makes sense!

Maybe you could use OPKs to detect your LH surge and then count the days until AF shows? That should tell you how long your LP is and when you can test.
Thank you for the information. I have some OPKs which I will try to use as you suggested in my next cycle (unless I'm lucky enough to get my of course.)



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 19:22 PM   9
pcake
Other
Chat Happy BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 2,239
Hey hun

Personally i always assumed the tests meant that u could test from 6 days before ur period was due, whenever that was, but i totally see what u mean.

I had longer cycles too (started at 46 days, then i took vitex and was down to approx 30 within 3 months) so i would go by my dpo for testing, as no matter how long my cycles were, i was always had a 14 day LP. The 3rd month i got bfp, and it was the only month of the 3 ttc that i had no cramps, apart from at 7dpo, when i also had a tiny bit of light pink cm. I hoped this was implantation bleeding and i think it was as i tested the next eve and got a v v faint bfp (so that was 8 dpo,6 days before af was due), and then the next day at 9 dpo where bfp on a FRER. I know that was very early and i really wasn't expecting it,apparently the average day for a bfp is 14 dpo,so if u get a bfn when testing early dont be disappointed , it may be its still too early. So i think it has more to do with when LO implants, then cycle length,which from what iv read can be between days 6-12 dpo.

I used OPKs and tracked my CP to see when i ovulated. I temped for 1 month but it made me a bit crazy,so stopped!! Fingers xd this is ur month,but if not try the OPKs they are very helpful,esp when combined with CP.

GL!!



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM   10
mlesfink
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
Michelle, your little boy is so cute!! My son is 3 1/2 as well.

Thank you! He is a handful!! Sometimes I wonder why we are TTC another, but then I just look at his little face while he is hitting me and remember that I am a glutton for punishment!



Status: Offline
 
Reply



Bookmarks

Tags
28 , cycle , days , longer , standard , testing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search






SEO by vBSEO