Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 12:36 PM   1
smile7060
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 139

Zika fears :(


Morning!


So I have a dilemma. I was hoping to find some reassurance and some advice

I am planning to TTC next year in June, right before our wedding, and right after our wedding in July. My OH is (POSSIBLY) planning to go to ROMANIA for a month right after our wedding in July for a dirt bike race, called Romaniacs. He has been dreaming about it for years just like I have been dreaming about getting married... so I can't say no, the only PROBLEM WITH THAT is that there is potentially ZIKA there and I am really scared that he would contract it and bring it home RIGHT WHEN I WANT TO TTC!! I feel so upset right now! Of course I do not mind waiting 8 weeks, but SIX MONTHS!?

Should I be worried about this!? What are peoples thoughts? WHAT would YOU do placed in the same situation? Is the news just blowing this out of proportion?

They advise that you wait 8 weeks after travel to a country that carries this mosquito just as a precaution if you are sure you have NOT been bit, and 6 MONTHS if YOU HAVE BEEN bit. There is no real way though to tell other than if you for sure get symptoms, and not everyone will, so they recommend waiting anyways. I have been waiting SO long for my dream to TTC and I don't want to wait

We plan on TTC right before our wedding maybe even in May ... but the thing is that I of course don't really want to be pregnant when I am in my dress and everything, not only do I not want to be sick, I also have a condition that may flare up when I am pregnant and that could also be a really hard thing to get through in my wedding day. It seems no matter where I turn I hit a wall.

The more I read and research the more I try and be realistic. As far as I know right now there have been NO contracted cases IN Romania, just cases that have COME from other countries like the Dominican and Brazil that are sexually transmitted and are discovered IN PEOPLE back in Romania. It says that the risk is moderate to high in 18 countries in Europe and Romania happens to be one of them. The other 33 countries are low to no risk.

Any advice ?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 02:37 AM   2
CanadianMoose
On a break (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 571
I'm a bit confused because you say your going to try BEFORE he leaves yeah? However the virus only affects the mothers that have been bit or the eggs/sperm of those bit and are trying or are pregnant. so if you try before he leaves and do get pregnant then not a problem, but if you don't get it then you have to wait 8 weeks if he didn't and 6 months if he did. So have him lather up in repellent or wear long sleeves hell even both. usually you can tell when you've been bit I.E. the bite and itchiness so if he does get bit, play safe otherwise if he doesn't I'd say your safe. Honestly you are probably safe even if he does but if you want to be sure do it this way. Also you should try hard before he leaves, and remember have lots of fun with it . I think you should try before he leaves have him keep you updated if he feels he got bit, and i think they do tests for it when he gets back. Then you have a few months of trying and a break time to get things right after those few months if you didn't succeed ya know? Kinda like "study time" if you didn't get it spot on the first few times. I don't think you shouldn't try or put it off for too long just make it work with the time you have hun while being smart and safe.



Status: Offline
 
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 06:18 AM   3
MindUtopia
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 9,576
As far as I know, the species of mosquito that carries and transmits Zika isn't native to Romania. It's only in warmer climates and wouldn't be able to survive in a climate like Romania, just like there isn't any throughout the rest of temperate climates in Europe. There are cases (like you mentioned) of people contracting Zika is temperate climates via sexual contact from people who brought it back from places where it's now endemic, but I'm assuming he isn't going to be having sex with any random people while he's there who might be able to transmit it. So baring that, I wouldn't have any concerns. There shouldn't be any more risk in Romania than there is where you are now. And anyway, there is a test for Zika, so he could always get tested when he comes back.

We're trying to conceive in a few months and did originally have plans to visit my mum and stepdad (who live in the U.S. in Florida where there is loads of Zika in the mosquitoes locally) next June. We won't be making this trip now because there are loads of Zika cases there and we can't risk it. They'll just come visit us instead.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 09:35 AM   4
smile7060
Pregnant (Expecting)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 139
Thanks you guys

I feel a little calmer, I did some more research last night and I feel a little more educated lol.

Yes your right there is NO localized outbreak in Romania. There IS a moderate risk that there will BE one eventually though because of the climate and because they carry the mosquito. Other than that there are only sexually transmitted cases reported at this point from people who have contracted it in other countries. Even Canada there are sexually transmitted cases and cases that are being discovered once back.

And no lol. He wouldn't be having sex with randoms so I think he's probably safe that way. To be realistic the only places that are 100 percent safe are Canada and chile because we don't have those mosquitos, so everywhere else there is a moderate to low risk.

I also think that the media has blown it way out there, and I can understand especially now that Florida is infected, but Florida is a long way away from Europe, as is the rest of the 44 countries on the outbreak list.

I think that if there WAS to be an outbreak there God forbid before he left, that yeah we would wait 6 months and if not then we would still wait 8 weeks and he would wear a ton of Deet anyways..

I'm hoping my dr can reassure me a little more too. I have an appt with him on the 21st.

Thanks so much for replying, yesterday I literally thought I was gonna have a stroke thinking about it.. Lol I was even like well your just gonna have to freeze your sperm. That seems a little drastic now. If he was going to the heart of Brazil I may feel the same way about that, but he's not. The other thing is he may not even go, it's not confirmed yet, so I guess we will cross that bridge when we have too.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 22:11 PM   5
arianne
Trying to conceive (TTC)
Active BnB Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 232
Hi girls,

I wanted to get some advice on this. I was just going tomorrow to my first IUI but im traveling in a month to Fiji, which i just realized (thanks to someone here from a IUI forum) is at risk of Zika.

Also getting married next feb in mexico which has zika risk

Im turning 40 in a month, so waiting is not an option. I was thinking of freezing my embrios, but even then, not sure if it is fine to implant this after you are 40

Any ideas/advice?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Apr 9th, 2018, 12:09 PM   6
LadyVictoria
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by arianne View Post
Hi girls,

I wanted to get some advice on this. I was just going tomorrow to my first IUI but im traveling in a month to Fiji, which i just realized (thanks to someone here from a IUI forum) is at risk of Zika.

Also getting married next feb in mexico which has zika risk

Im turning 40 in a month, so waiting is not an option. I was thinking of freezing my embrios, but even then, not sure if it is fine to implant this after you are 40

Any ideas/advice?

Have you told your doctor(s) about your travel plans? All of mine have said to avoid areas with Zika when TTC and during pregnancy. I'd be sure to get their professional take on it. I can't imagine that you'd want to invest your time and money into interventions like IUI only to then expose that pregnancy to the risk of zika. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but my husband and I have made it a point to avoid travelling to destinations with any zika transmitting mosquitoes. Also, if you're getting inseminated tomorrow and it's successful, you'll be due in January. Will you be up to/prepared to then travel for your wedding in the next month? I think you have a lot of decisions to make here. Is the peace of mind of not exposing yourself to zika more important to you than your travel and wedding plans? Are you willing to post TTC or is your age a bigger factor in doing it now rather than later?



Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO