Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 20:26 PM   1
BrittneyAnne
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 39

How to survive WTT


Hi ladies! So husband and I aren't going to try until next year more than likely but I seriously have baby fever! I'm constantly looking on here and looking at EVERYTHING baby related on interest. I just have an urge to be pregnant. Any advise on how to survive this WTT period with my sanity and emotions in tact? I am currently trying to get into better shape and I've been eating way healthier!



Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 09:18 AM   2
MindUtopia
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dorset, UK
Posts: 9,500
What I found really helpful was to focus on important and exciting goals that I wanted to achieve before I got pregnant and that had nothing to do with babies (otherwise then you're still just all focused only on babies). Realistically, when you have kids, life completely and totally changes. It doesn't mean there are certain things you can never do again, but they will never be as easy and you'll never not feel a little bit guilty devoting time to a big project or trip or goal that isn't about your family again. So now is the time to do that. I've been pregnant twice now and both times I had a big career goal to achieve before we could try (so that I would be at a place 9 months later when I could take a full year's maternity leave) and also we planned some fun things together as a couple. The first time around we spent a few weeks traveling around India (we used to live there together, so it was our last time back as a couple before we knew we wouldn't easily be able to go until our kids were older) and the second time we just planned a weekend away and then also another time a night away alone (about all we can spare on very rare occasion anymore, and with 2, it will pretty much never happen again probably until the youngest is probably 4 or 5). It was really great. It made the wait feel like it was worthwhile because we were getting things done that we wanted to do before life changed, but also once our daughter arrived and life was totally turned upside down, we didn't feel like we were missing out. We'd done what we wanted to do and the change wasn't so drastic and we didn't miss our pre-baby life too much as we really did what we wanted to do. Do you have any work goals? Things you've always wanted to do like run a marathon or learn a new skill? Can you plan some special trips away in this time so you have those to look forward to? Buying a house or home renovations that you want to get done while you wait?



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 09:46 AM   3
BrittneyAnne
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindUtopia View Post
What I found really helpful was to focus on important and exciting goals that I wanted to achieve before I got pregnant and that had nothing to do with babies (otherwise then you're still just all focused only on babies). Realistically, when you have kids, life completely and totally changes. It doesn't mean there are certain things you can never do again, but they will never be as easy and you'll never not feel a little bit guilty devoting time to a big project or trip or goal that isn't about your family again. So now is the time to do that. I've been pregnant twice now and both times I had a big career goal to achieve before we could try (so that I would be at a place 9 months later when I could take a full year's maternity leave) and also we planned some fun things together as a couple. The first time around we spent a few weeks traveling around India (we used to live there together, so it was our last time back as a couple before we knew we wouldn't easily be able to go until our kids were older) and the second time we just planned a weekend away and then also another time a night away alone (about all we can spare on very rare occasion anymore, and with 2, it will pretty much never happen again probably until the youngest is probably 4 or 5). It was really great. It made the wait feel like it was worthwhile because we were getting things done that we wanted to do before life changed, but also once our daughter arrived and life was totally turned upside down, we didn't feel like we were missing out. We'd done what we wanted to do and the change wasn't so drastic and we didn't miss our pre-baby life too much as we really did what we wanted to do. Do you have any work goals? Things you've always wanted to do like run a marathon or learn a new skill? Can you plan some special trips away in this time so you have those to look forward to? Buying a house or home renovations that you want to get done while you wait?
Thanks. As far as career goals for me, those are all accomplished. I'm a teacher so I've used this year to really organize myself. As far as trips we do have some coming up at the end of the year, which is why we're waiting. I've also got a mud run in October (living in Arizona, it's tough to do any runs between now and September). W do own our house an there are a few projects that still need to be done but we're kind of taking our time on that. Thanks for the advice!



Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 11:18 AM   4
kksy9b
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 5,468
I always liked marking the halfway point on the calendar between now and trying. And then plan something fun for that day or the weekend by it. That way your countdown doesn't feel as long and you can focus of planning a fun activity. Once that date comes, do it again! The second time the wait is so much shorter that it feels like time flies. Pinterest is also a fun way to curb baby fever with nursery ideas, photo shoots etc

I would encourage you to find an activity you've always wanted to do but pushed off and go for it! Whether it's taking a cooking class, taking a trip, redecorating a room etc. Find something non baby related that you want to do just for you. Once baby is here those opportunities will be few and far between for a couple years and you'll appreciate that time looking back.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 14:27 PM   5
BrittneyAnne
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kksy9b View Post
I always liked marking the halfway point on the calendar between now and trying. And then plan something fun for that day or the weekend by it. That way your countdown doesn't feel as long and you can focus of planning a fun activity. Once that date comes, do it again! The second time the wait is so much shorter that it feels like time flies. Pinterest is also a fun way to curb baby fever with nursery ideas, photo shoots etc

I would encourage you to find an activity you've always wanted to do but pushed off and go for it! Whether it's taking a cooking class, taking a trip, redecorating a room etc. Find something non baby related that you want to do just for you. Once baby is here those opportunities will be few and far between for a couple years and you'll appreciate that time looking back.
I like the idea of the halfway point! That's a really good idea! I might bring up when we plan to try with the hubs again. It'd be ideal to get pregnant around September since I'll be off all summer and van be home with baby. I'd rather try for this September rather than next. Maybe that would help some too.



Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 19:30 PM   6
KalonKiki
Mum (Mom)
BnB Addict
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 3,874
Definitely plan something fun every now and then, focus on exciting goals, and give yourself something to look forward to. For example if you want to cloth diaper allow yourself to get a new diaper or accessory every month or whatever so that you're both building your stash for your future baby and giving yourself a short term exciting thing to look forward to in the mail. If it makes you feel uncomfortable buying baby things before pregnancy then do a monthly subscription service that has nothing to do with babies and everything to do with your hobbies and interests. For example I have a Fragrant Jewels Inner Circle membership so I get a candle and a bath bomb every month, I always look forward to them coming in mail! Or you can do both small baby purchases and a subscription service if you want to.

When you're feeling extra broody and short term goals aren't helping, give yourself a pep talk. Remind yourself when your TTC date is, that this day will eventually arrive and how worth the wait your baby will be.

If you have to remind yourself how much you love alcohol/sushi/hot dogs/whatever food or activity you love and can't eat or do while pregnant and treat yourself to whatever it is while you can.

I know it's hard to picture it if you've never been pregnant but reminding myself how awful morning sickness was, how uncomfortable the 3rd Trimester was, how painful labor and childbirth was, how much breastfeeding hurt in the first few weeks after birth, and how little sleep I got in the newborn days also really helps alleviate my broodiness temporarily when necessary.



 
Status: Offline
 
Old Mar 24th, 2017, 16:59 PM   7
BrittneyAnne
Waiting To Try (WTT)
Active BnB Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalonKiki View Post
Definitely plan something fun every now and then, focus on exciting goals, and give yourself something to look forward to. For example if you want to cloth diaper allow yourself to get a new diaper or accessory every month or whatever so that you're both building your stash for your future baby and giving yourself a short term exciting thing to look forward to in the mail. If it makes you feel uncomfortable buying baby things before pregnancy then do a monthly subscription service that has nothing to do with babies and everything to do with your hobbies and interests. For example I have a Fragrant Jewels Inner Circle membership so I get a candle and a bath bomb every month, I always look forward to them coming in mail! Or you can do both small baby purchases and a subscription service if you want to.

When you're feeling extra broody and short term goals aren't helping, give yourself a pep talk. Remind yourself when your TTC date is, that this day will eventually arrive and how worth the wait your baby will be.

If you have to remind yourself how much you love alcohol/sushi/hot dogs/whatever food or activity you love and can't eat or do while pregnant and treat yourself to whatever it is while you can.

I know it's hard to picture it if you've never been pregnant but reminding myself how awful morning sickness was, how uncomfortable the 3rd Trimester was, how painful labor and childbirth was, how much breastfeeding hurt in the first few weeks after birth, and how little sleep I got in the newborn days also really helps alleviate my broodiness temporarily when necessary.
Haha! I love your last tip! Unfortunately I haven't been pregnant before so that one is a little tougher. I think the hard part is not exactly having a TTC date. All I've got is "not this year". I'm thinking about bringing it up again and telling my husband I need a timeline. Something to go off of...



Status: Offline
 

SEO by vBSEO