1/4 chance of downs

lylasmummy

Reaction score
My best friend is 39 and pregnant with her 4th baby, she is 14 weeks, the hospital rang her yesterday and said she needs to go back and see the consultant for more tests as she has a risk factor of 1/4 for down syndrome, she is understandably quite worried.... I would like some positive stories to tell her as Im struggling what to say to her at the moment x

I work in an ob clinic and have seen so many women over 30 that have been given the same info as your friend and I can say only a handful out of the dozens end up having a baby with downs. The markers can be inaccurate and false positives are quite common. The only real way to know is through an amnio. But the women who do have children with downs will all agree that their child is the sweetest and most loving individual. There is high functioning downs where the person can get a job and even married!
Best of luck if you or her have questions let me know. :hugs:

Hello there hun-i can totally understand that its difficult to know what to say to your friend at the moment (((((Hugs)))))) to you both.This probably doesn't help at all but i had to reply after i read this thread as with my 1st pregnancy i had a 1/10,0000 chance of a baby with downs.............my partner and i were very shocked when our little girl was born with Downs syndrome-BUT i can honestly say with all my heart that she is one of the best things to ever happen to me!!!! x

Hello there hun-i can totally understand that its difficult to know what to say to your friend at the moment (((((Hugs)))))) to you both.This probably doesn't help at all but i had to reply after i read this thread as with my 1st pregnancy i had a 1/10,0000 chance of a baby with downs.............my partner and i were very shocked when our little girl was born with Downs syndrome-BUT i can honestly say with all my heart that she is one of the best things to ever happen to me!!!! x

Thanks hun, another friend of mine had a low chance in her 1st pregnancy and her daughter was born with downs, but she is such a lovely little girl I personally would not be afraid of it, but my friend isnt as "open minded" she is seeing her consultant tomorrrow, and she has already said she will defo have the amnio, which will prob be some time next week. Thanks x

Hi i had a 1:6 chance of having a baby with downs several weeks ago, we opted for the CVS as i was under 16 weeks. Got my results back a few days later and baby is fine. :happydance:

Hays- First off congrats to you! :hugs:

To the other mommies who have a baby with downs, I am a godmother to a little girl with downs and she is the happiest, most loving little girl I have ever met. It takes a special person to take care of any child with any special needs but I admire those who do. You are amazing women!

thankyou very much :hugs: It was such a relief to know that all was ok x

i had 1:3 chance of trisomy 18 after bw ( i am 40). had the amnio and all was fine. i think a lot more work needs to be done on this type of testing. it causes many women a lot of worry for nothing.

GL!

Hi
Most people who get a high risk factor for downs don't have anything wrong. It could also be its higher due to her age as they work it out partly factoring in age range.
Hope shes ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->