1.5 cm dilated and 50% effaced at 30+6 weeks!

MommyPrice

Reaction score
I went to the doctor yesterday and to my surprise found out I was 1.5 cm and 50% effaced (I was 30+6 weeks). I'm having di/di twin boys, and this is my third pregnancy. My office has a "wait and see" approach to everything, which can sometimes be annoying, haha.

I know that I was "shut and tight" and 0% effaced back in August, so there definitely has been change. Does anyone know what this could mean in terms of when they'll arrive? I know that with my past pregnancies, I delivered between 2-3 weeks after being this effaced/dilated, but I also know twin pregnancies and every pregnancy can be different!! Both my singletons were born at exactly 38 weeks.

I really hope they stay put for a bit longer, but should I be on bed rest, or should I be getting steroid shots to mature their lungs? Again, my hospital doesn't believe in bed rest at all, and rarely interferes medically. I live 2 hours away from my hospital, and I only have 3.5 hour labors! Any insight on what I should be doing would be greatly appreciated. :)

*I posted this in the Twins and Multiples section as well, as I thought I'd get more responses here, but this section doesn't specialize in twins!*

Here were my stats with my two previous single pregnancies:

John
36 weeks - 1 cm dilated & 25% effaced
36+4 weeks - 1.5 cm dilated & 50% effaced
37 weeks - 2 cm dilated & 70% effaced
38 weeks - 3 cm dilated & 80% effaced
38 weeks - WATER BROKE (no contractions, started pitocin, and had him the next day)

Mason
34 weeks - 1.5 cm dilated & 25% effaced
36 weeks - 2 cm dilated & 50% effaced
37 weeks - 3 cm dilated
37+5 weeks - 4 cm dilated
37+6 weeks - 5 cm dilated & 70% effaced
38 weeks - LABOR NATURALLY STARTED (he was born 3.5 hours later)

I would definitely go on bed rest ASAP ESP given your history. Not sure why your Dr isn't alarmed. Feet up and do nothing is the only way to keep things stable...ideally you would want them in for another month at least

Thanks Laila! They didn't want to see me for another 2 weeks, which I was really concerned about, so I decided to take it upon myself to make an appointment for next week. I'm (obviously) hoping for no changes, but I wish they would monitor me more closely.

I don't want to overreact, but I decided it would be best to send my two older boys with my parents until the twins arrive, so that way I could put myself on bed rest (as you suggested). Would you know when I should demand steroid shots (at what dilation/effacement)? I'd hate for something terrible to happen to the twins just because my hospital likes to observe rather than interfere... I'm so clueless to all of this!

I had issues with my midwife, so I went back to the doctor I had with my first pregnancy. I told midwife about the previous pregnancy issues I had, early labor/calcifying placenta, and they pretty much brushed it off and even being at 29 weeks now, they didn't want to see me for another 3 weeks, so I had all my records transferred back. I know they like to do things more 'naturally' but damn. If I'm coming to you with concerns about my pregnancy, ya best do something about it or look into and not just ignore it.

So I would say feet up and let those little buns bake some more :)

Thanks KuntryKutie! I'm going in tomorrow, as I insisted that I should be seen (just to see if there's been any changes). Hoping that all is well!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->