• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

1 Year Old won't Drink from Other Bottles or Eat Solids

NewDaddy4328

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So me and my wife didn't start thinking about this until recently, but our soon-to-be 1 year old daughter consistently refuses to eat actual solid food (blueberries, banana slices, etc) or drink from sippy cups/other bottles other than her normal baby bottle (Philips Avent). She's been eating pureed foods, puffs, yogi melts, baby graham crackers, etc, just fine.

My wife read somewhere that babies/toddlers can start getting tooth decay if they drink from a bottle past 1 years old, which i think is a little bit too unbelievable. We also started feeding her milk recently, which she doesn't seems to have a problem with but thought i'd throw it in here.

We've tried putting solid foods/other bottles in front of her to try, putting it up to her mouth to try, having one of us eat/use it in front of her and then offer it to her, etc. We've tried all of these several times over the past couple weeks with no success.

If she goes on long enough, she'll keep crying to the point she is raspy and struggles to cry. We offer her and she refuses, then kept coming back to her with it with still the same result.I did this scenario with her and vegetables at about 7 or 8 months old after feeding her solids a couple months already.

Eventually, she got to the point where she would eat the vegetables by themselves once, but she's not doing it this time with solids or other bottles.

Anybody have any advice on how to encourage her to try either?

Last edited:
How much milk is she getting each day? Absolutely not advocating for drastically cutting down on milk if that's the only source of nutrients she will accept, but at this age she should definitely be eating solids as well. I'd cut down on the milk a little bit and try and make sure she is good and hungry before attempting solids. We started with vegetables, but then also added baby cereals. Have you tried those? You mix it up with formula, so may taste more familiar to her than pure fruit or veg? If she began to eat that, you could then start adding fruits and veg to it. Just some ideas...

How much milk is she getting each day? Absolutely not advocating for drastically cutting down on milk if that's the only source of nutrients she will accept, but at this age she should definitely be eating solids as well. I'd cut down on the milk a little bit and try and make sure she is good and hungry before attempting solids. We started with vegetables, but then also added baby cereals. Have you tried those? You mix it up with formula, so may taste more familiar to her than pure fruit or veg? If she began to eat that, you could then start adding fruits and veg to it. Just some ideas...

I guess I should clarify. She's not refusing to eat formula (we've been giving that to her up until recently) or pureed foods. She's just refusing to eat actual solid food (like blueberries, banana slices, etc) and refusing to drink from any other sippy cups/bottles that aren't her Philips Avent baby bottle. We've fed her baby cereals and other pureed foods.

And we've been sure to give her enough liquids during the day. Anywhere from 5 to 8 ounces of formula, 3 to 4 times a day depending on how she's doing, for the past 6 months or so since she hit the pureed food milestones

Oh sorry, my mistake! In that case, i wouldnt worry too much. I thought that she wasn't accepting any solids. If she's happy with purees and cereals, then I'd mostly just stick with those for now. Just continue to offer some soft foods like banana sticks, peas, rice etc. Hopefully she's open to trying things and even just feeling the texture etc (sorry if this causes huge mess!). I'd just offer her things like those/parts of your meal that aren't hard to bite and let her eat it as and when she is interested. I'm sure she will show interest in the next few months if she's into purees/food in general. She might just not be ready, and that's fine. Keep offering and she will come around.

And for the bottle- someone else may have better advice on that one. :) I'd just offer a sippy cup of water with meals. If she's still getting plenty of formula, you know she won't be dehydrated- and hopefully she will accept the cup with a bit of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"