10 month old nursing aversion

Ellie Bean

Reaction score
My 10 month old daughter who is exclusively breast fed has recently started fighting me during nursing sessions. It's like she is too impatient to wait for a let down. Is this normal at this age because there's so much to see and do? Should I keep trying to force it or just give her a bottle with pumped milk? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh gosh, give her a bottle!! But this is coming from a mom who just did it for 2 years and cant fathom doing it another minute. I'd say shes weaning herself!

Oh gosh, give her a bottle!! But this is coming from a mom who just did it for 2 years and cant fathom doing it another minute. I'd say shes weaning herself!

I disagree, it is very uncommon for babies to wean themselves before they are a year old BUT around 9-10 months old a lot of babies go through this stage and mom's think the baby is self weaning and so stops breastfeeding when really they are just going through a distracted phase. It is very common around the 9-10 month age for them to be too distracted and interested in things around them to want to stop and nurse. My 9 month old is going through this (and my DD did this at that age too) but it doesn't mean they want to give up the boob entirely. Try taking her to a quiet, dim room when its time to nurse and see if that helps. How is her intake in solids? If she's eating a lot of solids then she might need fewer nursing sessions. My 9 month old nurses only 4-5 times in a 24 hr period, with 2-3 of those being at night, so he doesn't nurse much at all during the day because he is a ferocious eater with his solids! I'd say just keep offering the boob in a calm, quiet environment and she will come back around.

Jessmke That sounds just like my daughter I'll keep offering the breast and ride out this phase! She's a great eater too so you're right she probably does dtt need as much nursing time as she used to.

Just nurse on demand. My baby is almost 9 months and is starting into this phase. If she hears a single sound while nursing she rips herself off, sits up, and looks around for the noise. And that nursing session is over, no matter what I do she won't go back to nursing. She usually also only nurses for 3 minutes or so every few hours. I just think they get more efficient at pulling out the milk and don't need as much time.

Persevere! it's worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->