10 months with no pincer grasp - anyone?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by EJ10, Jan 29, 2011.

1. EJ10

EJ10 Member

Is it late to not have a pincer grasp yet? I keep putting cheerios in front of him but he will rake them in with the whole hand and he manages to put them in his mouth that way!

Sometimes he will put his whole hand over it and use the index finger and thumb like trying to use them but it's no perfect pincer grasp. If he focuses I see that he uses index & thumb to try.

Most of the time he doesn't seem concentrated, just grabs them with the whole hand.

He can hold his own bottle & sippy cup and transfers objects between hands, bangs two objects together and can sometimes flip toys in his hand.

Anyone with experience regarding this?

2. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

I dont have any experince as kacey can do it. However reading what you put sounds like he has his own way of doing things. He is getting the cheerios in his mouth. I would speck to HV if your worried. But so far it sounds ok to me

3. mrsthomas623

mrsthomas623 MommyToNolanAndPregnant!

Sounds like he has found a way that works for him so he probably isn't bothered to use his finger and thumb.:flower:

4. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

Omar was around 10.5-11 months when he started to pincer grasp. Until now he struggles with using a thick marker & crayons, but he tries. Dont worry hun, he will manage to pincer grasp when he's ready.

5. EJ10

EJ10 Member

Thank you so much for making me feel better about it!

I can't believe that it's possible to worry as much as I do! Believe it or not but I have gotten a huge rash on my arm because of the stress! Everyone is comparing babies and bragging and reading the milestones I wanna throw up.

He isn't babbling any baba, mama, dada yet. He only does single "Ba" or "Bo" or "Ga" and ALOT of Heeey or at least it sounds like it and Eeee and sometimes whispering pu-pu-pu for a few seconds.. And mmmmm. Blowing raspberries and squealing, grunting or yelling are favorites too.

I can't take it :( Sometimes I feel like I'm such a bad mother who can't take the pressure!

6. LankyDoodle

LankyDoodle Well-Known Member

Don't worry about this as babies develop this skill between 8 and 12 months typically. :) He will get there in his own time!

7. babybel

babybel Mummy to two

Know how you feel hon, moo is ten months on Tuesday and has got pincer grip down but no clapping, mama, dada, crawling, cruising, moving even lol. The worry never ends but I figure they'll all get there eventually xx

8. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

Hey hun, that does NOT mean you are a bad mother xxx