10 week appointment - heartbeat! Listen :)

MamaBunny2

Reaction score
I had my first appointment with my doctor at 10 weeks yesterday. I was so anxious to hear our baby's heartbeat. As soon as the doctor came in he tried listening but after awhile couldn't find it at all, just my heartbeat and a bunch of rumbling from my gut. I was nervous to begin with as my severe hunger and thirst has went away and I haven't been using the bathroom as often. I was sure there wouldn't be a heartbeat and it would be bad news :nope: After my exam he tried again, this time using one hand all up in me to push my uterus up towards my abdomen... and finally...

We only got to hear it for a few seconds because I started crying and tensed up which caused the doctor to lose it. I was still concerned that it took so much effort to find but came across this:

A doppler can't be used to hear a heartbeat until the uterus has gone above the pelvic bone. This doesn't usually happen until 12 weeks, sometimes later. It's very unlikely you'll get one at 10 weeks...they may not even try!

DO NOT worry if they try and you don't hear anything - it means NOTHING if you don't hear it this early.

They didn't come near me with the doppler until 12 weeks and spent 5 full minutes before hand explaining that I should not worry if they didn't hear anything.

I feel very fortunate I was able to hear it so early since it's highly unlikely to detect it at 10 weeks. I was going to get an at home doppler (Sonoline B) but am glad I didn't because I would have tried myself and caused so much unnecessary worry :wacko: I've seen some women on here that have their own dopplers and are unsure as to what it should sound like or worried because they can't find a heartbeat so hope this helps and eases some minds.

Congrats! On Monday I heard the heartbeat at 10-ish weeks too! In the UK they pretty much never check it so early, but my midwife is lovely and after hearing my worries about lack of morning sickness, and knowing that I had a MMC in 2011, she offered to try :) I'm pretty skinny which helped, but I was so grateful to her for trying, and she found it pretty quickly! Great feeling isn't it!!
I second the not getting a Home Doppler - it can only cause worry in my opinion. In reality once the heartbeat has been heard, it's pretty unlikely that a miscarriage will happen, and fairly soon we'll be feeling movements and a change in movements is a more important sign than a non medically trained person not being able to find a heartbeat with a Doppler :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->