10 weeks post partum - too early to be trying again?

August3

Mum of 2
Reaction score
I'm 36 years old and we would love one more child. It took over three years to conceive our daughter, would we be mad to start trying again so soon?

Unless you've been told to wait for medical reasons (if you had a c-section for example) then no, not mad! You're more fertile now as I'm sure you're aware so I'd say trying now makes good sense, considering it took you a long time before. Plus smaller age gaps are so fun! :)

Not at all we've been Ntnp since DS was a month old hoping to take advantage of the more fertile time nothing yet though still bf and no af yet

i started trying at 5 weeks pp and i got pregnant at 20 weeks pp so about 4 months now im 6 months pregnant and im having minor complications my cervix is weak and bleeding and it hurts to lift my 9 month old i was told not to but i do it anyway

No c section and AF returned on Jan 13th. We've dtd but haven't started using OPKs yet just observing fertile signs. For maternity leave in my job optimum conception would be in march or april but we're not overly concerned about it, would just really love a sibling for our daughter.

I suppose I worry about possible complications like pp wrote about and also if is it fair on our child to be dividing our attention from her so early.

I do believe you should give your body time to heal and recuperate but lots of people have done it so if it's what you want go for it :)

No you're not mad :flower: I'm 36 as well and would be trying for a second if I hadn't had a section and need to go through ivf again to get pregnant!

Before opening the thread I thought you were mad lol but reading your reasons I understand. I would be a little nervous to get pregnant within a year of having a baby because I would want my body to recover, but at the same time it make sense to utilise the fertile time if you took a while to get pregnant before.

I know it's not ideal but we have been NTNP since dd was born! I wouldn't have normally but it took us 3 years to conceive her with fertility treatment and we couldn't afford it all again so I want to take advantage of my fertile period. Nothing yet though!

No it's not the best idea, you should give your body time to recover but I'm in the same position as you so I know exactly how you feel xx

Generally - 9 months to cook, 9 months to recover. Only you can answer your question though!

They recommend giving your body 9 months to a year to heal from pregnancy. It isn't easy on our bodies.

However I can understand you wanting to try again soon incase it takes a long time to TTC

You know whats right for you and your family :)

I waited till my son was a year old but I'm lucky in that I fall quite quickly.

I say if its what you want as a family then no your not mad. As long as there is no issues that would stop you from ttc again quickly then its up to you guys.
I would loved to have tried again quick but being high risk means that a no no.

Only you&your oh can make this decision. I don't find anything wrong with it as long as there are no health issues.

Spoke to my doc about this today - her advice was to wait at least 6 months after the birth and then if no success at 12 months to seek advice and consider our options at that point. She said the physical and psychological toll needs consideration but if I wasn't keen to wait that long to maybe take a very relaxed approach for the next three months and then ramp it up.....

.......thanks to all of you who replied......lots to mull over

I wouldn't do it so soon. I had my first at 36 and my second at 39. Your body is super fertile after you've had one and it rarely takes long to have the second. I know so many women who tried for years for their first, so start trying right away for their second and 95% of them get pregnant almost immediately and end up with insanely small age gaps. I'd personally hate that, so we were extra super cautious to prevent getting pregnant for 2 years after the birth of our first. We didn't even have to try for #2. I can say that the 3 year gap is fantastic. Older one is old enough to do a lot themselves, but young enough to appreciate a sibling. Good luck.

If your happy for a small age gap then why not. I took 2 years with my eldest and we did the deed once without anything and 4 got pregnant and have a 15 month age gap. It's bloody hard work. The only thing I would be concerned about is with having less than I wear between them is whether they would end up in school together little things like that as I would want them to be different school years but that's just me just because I would want them to have some independence at school. I already feel bad that at some point they will be in the same nursery group for one year as I want them to not always be grouped together doing the same thing and to have different friends etc. Other things I would seriously think of are how your previous pregnancy was did you get morning sickness or anything because being pregnant the second time with a baby is hard. I found the last 10 week's with a toddler much much harder than having a newborn and a toddler. Unless you have family support you will need to be aware that if you feel crap are being sick etc that it's tough luck but I guess that's the same second time around anyway but obviously a baby changes so much within the first year that your trying your best to keep up what with sleep changing and wonder weeks. I found it absolutely exhausting and I didn't get morning sickness etc just the fact that there's no down time with a baby.

In an ideal world, I would wait two years surely but if I did and subsequently it didn't work out for us to have a second child, I worry that I would always look back with fierce regret.

My decision is complicated both ways by the fact that Monday to Friday I'm home alone as my husband works 200kms away. This reduces our window to conceive but also means I'd be caring for two babies by myself so feel pretty much between a rock and a hard place..:shrug:

I think if you want to start trying then go for it especially as it took so long to conceive first time. Obviously you are aware about health implications and how hard two youngsters are but it's your family and your choice at the end of the day :) my grandma had five children under the age of five at one point- figure that one out ;)!

Mind if I butt in?
Funny, dp and I were talking abouy this last night. I said imagine of we had our first then I had a bfp when baby #1 was around 10 weeks, if it was timed correctly a couple cpuld potentially have two bubs turning one in the same year :haha:
Seity said we are very fertile after our first and she is correct! My sister got her 2nd bfp when her daughter was 7 months old, unplanned but a lovely suprise <3 and she took 13 months to ttc #1!

Nope! I've been wanting to try since my second was born 6 months ago...just no sign of my period yet :(. Go for

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->