100% Polyspermy during IVF - anyone else had this?

Hopeful76

Reaction score
Hi All, I am new to this and wish everyone well on their journeys.
Had an IVF cycle this month after 2 years TTC, 16 eggs collected, 6 fertilised but all suffered polyspermy. Has anyone else had 100% of their eggs fertilise this way? Has anyone successfully conceived (IVF or otherwise) after this happening?

We have been told what has happened is very rare and ICSI would be the option next cycle but other than that not much information.

Trying to remain hopeful but can't believe how sad I am with this news!

no experince but just wana say goodluck :hugs:

Hello,
I am so sorry to hear the results of your ivf.... I actually just had the same thing happen, and just found out the news yesterday. I had only five eggs retrieved but all were "good". Four of them were fertilized by multiple sperm and one was fertilized but also was abnormal. I am desperately trying to learn more about this but all that I can get out of the embryologist and the dr. is that it is very rare. I want to know WHY and HOW this can happen.

Did you ever find any good explanation? If you have any resources that you want to pass on, I would be so grateful! Also, if you don't mind .... what is your situation now? Have you tried IVF again?

One thing about me ... I am suffering secondary infertility now. I have one son (whom took a long time to conceive, but is completely healthy) so I know that not all of my eggs are dysfunctional.

Any information that you have would be soo appreciated. Thanks...

Hello,

I really feel for you and how you must be feeling. I was utterly devastated and desparate for answers. ICSI was also advised for us. We took a break for 4 months and tried again. We got 7 eggs, 6 fertilised, 4 made it to Day 3 and 3 survived to Day 5 Blastocyst. We had 1 transferred and I am now 6 wks pgnt. We still can't believe after such a devastating first cycle how far we got with the second!
Some info (we changed clinic for second cycle due to move):
first clinic: said they saw maybe 1 case of like ours a year. They said they had seen similar cases to go on with ivf (no icsi) and not have the same problem and conceive ok. They also recommended icsi.
Second clinic: they changed my stim drugs to be a constant flat dose (prev clinic had started higher and reduced during due to high oestrogen levels). Also my first clinic 'coasted' me ie they stopped my stim drugs 48hrs before trigger rather than 24. Basically we think (and the second clinic hinted) that the stim protocol didn't support my eggs well enough so they were gradually being starved so nowhere near strong enough for what was needed.
The second clinic focussed solely on keeping a constant level of stim for my eggs and said if my oestrogen went high they would deal with that by freezing embryos rather than transfer anything that cycle and risk hyperstimulation. As it turned out my oestrogen was fine second time round.
Anyway i hope this is of some use to you. Please don't lose hope. I'm sure a positive result is also possible for you. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. Big hugs to you!

this is such good news for you, congratulations!!! and thank you so much for sharing the rest of your story, and the possible explanation for the abnormal fertilization. i have spent the past week trying to find out as much as possible, but it really does seem rare. i am so happy to hear of your pregnancy - especially so relatively soon after the failed cycle. best of luck to you, and thanks again!!!

(i may pop back in with more questions if i come up with any .... i am meeting with my RE next week to give him a chance to talk to other dr.'s and do more research, since it was so rare for him as well.)

Hello.
I realize this post is old but I was hoping JKG2004 might share her experience since Fall 2011.
We just received news that our first IVF attempt resulted in six of eight eggs fertilizing with multiple sperm. The other two were immature and did not fertilize. Was your dr able to give you any more information? Did s/he provide any other options besides ICSI? Did you proceed with this route?
We've been trying for so long with no clear reason why we haven't been able to conceive and then to have this happen was really upsetting.
Hoping you had a positive outcome and are willing to share.
Thanks!

Hi dkt78. This is my very first post - I saw your message and had to respond because my husband and I are going through the same thing. We had a failed IVF cycle in January, and I am set to begin stims on 3/15 for IVF attempt #2. With our failed cycle, we had 18 eggs retrieved. Everything went well up until that point so the news that 16 of those eggs were fertilized by more than one sperm was not only shocking but also devestating. It was my worst day since TTC in what has been a disappointing journey thus far. To put it simply - it sucked. I am so sorry you have had to experience the same pain. My team of doctors said they have known cases where ICSI has been a solution to this problem. I am anxious/scared to find out the outcome once we complete our second IVF with ICSI. Hang in there and please keep me posted.

I posted this question originally and I know how soul destroying this result is but please don't give up. Our second round of IVF was ICSI and we now have a beautiful, healthy 9 month old daughter keeping us on our toes! We also have 2 embryos frozen. You can see more detail of our journey in the 'there is hope' post below.
Wishing you a positive outcome

Thanks so much for the responses! We're now cautiously optimistic. Our dr hadn't observed this happening to all eggs before. She pretty much told us that she didn't think isci would work but if we wanted closure she was interested in what would happen if we tried. Your posts have made us feel so much better deciding to move forward with a second cycle. I'm scheduled to start stims April 5th.

Congratulations Hopeful on your little girl and best wishes to you Boots as you start your second cycle! Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update on the progress of our second attempt at IVF (using ICSI this time as we experienced polyspermic embryos during our first IVF attempt). My retrieval was performed yesterday (3/26) morning. After the procedure I was told they retrieved 20 eggs and that I would receive a call the next morning with an update on fertilization. After receiving many phone calls with bad news, our Doctor finally had some good news to report -- out of the 20 eggs retrieved, 17 were mature, and 15 were fertilized using ICSI. Now we play the waiting game and hope at least one of those eggs makes it to a 5 day embryo. All we need is one! If all goes well, we will transfer on Easter Sunday. This has been such an emotional journey, and we've made it one step further than where we were on our first attempt. I just pray our journey continues and the end result is our little miracle baby. More good news to come, I hope. Wishing everyone all the best as you continue on your own journey!

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I can just imagine how relieved you were when you received the good news. I really appreciate you sharing your experience. It's comforting to hear two successful ISCI for polyspermy stories. Thanks for the update and I hope the next five days bring more good news.

Hello and Happy Easter! This morning we were able to transfer 2 blastocysts. Out of the 15 that were fertilized, we are freezing one for now and we'll find out tomorrow how many additional embryos we'll be able to freeze. It was an unexpectedly emotional experience for both my husband and I. The doctor presented us with a picture of the two best looking blasts and asked if we wanted to transfer one or two - we decided two. I have read many blogs where women have only transferred one due to the increased risks to babies and mothers for twins, but we felt we made the right decision for us. Now we wait until April 9 for our blood test. I am filled with so many emotions - both with fear and joy. I continue to pray and have faith that this is God's plan.

DKT78 - Please keep me posted on how your cycle goes when you begin stims 4/5. Never lose faith and know that all things are possible when you believe. Regardless of the outcome of my blood test, I will always believe this experience was worth every ounce of effort and even pain. I truly believe this is my plan even though it has yet to be revealed to me.

Take care!

Hi Boots8182. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and hope you have more good news tomorrow.

Hi dkt78. Thanks for your thoughts; I've been wondering about how your treatment is going as well. The very good news is that after 2 failed rounds of clomid, 3 failed IUI's, 1 failed IVF, we finally received our BFP! It's something I never thought we would ever experience. And here we are. The unfortunate news is that because of my BFP, I have developed late onset OHSS and had been in the hospital earlier this week. In 4 days, I have gained 16 pounds and 10 inches around my waist. It has been one of the most painful things I have ever experienced. I had to have a paracentesis performed on Wednesday where they drained 2.5 liters of fluid from my abdomen. Because my abdomen was filled with so much fluid, some has gotten into my chest cavity and I now have a pleural effusion in my right lung. I will have another paracentesis performed tomorrow to drain more fluid as I have filled up again since Wednesday. Who knew a BFP woukd cause such pain. We are over the moon to be pregnant - I just wish it didn't come with all these extras. I've been told when the HCG my body produces levels off, that the OHSS will subside. I figure I have a few weeks to go. Ahhhhh!!! OHSS is a real mother ___er! Hope you are doing well. Take care of yourself and keep me posted!!

I think you should play the lotto, Boots. First the polyspermy, then such a severe case of OHSS - you can beat any odds! Congratulations! I'm so happy for your BFP, just sorry it had to come with OHSS. Do they think that it developed because you're expecting twins?! I know that there are additional risks but as long as you and babies are safe, wouldn't it be nice to have two and not have to go through all of this again...or at least for a while?

My retrieval was today. I was pretty hopeful after hearing your story but for some reason my expectations are extremely low right now. I'm really scared to get the call tomorrow. But at least we know we did everything we could.

Anyway, sorry for the negativity. I'm really happy for you and hope you are doing better and that the rest of your pregnancy is a breeze!

Oh, dkt, I know too well what you're going through and my heart hurts for you. I too wasn't very optimistic. After getting so many phone calls with bad news, it's hard to have high expectations, or any for that matter. The whole time I just felt numb. But don't ever lose hope! That's the one thing that got me through, even though I felt so defeated at times. When my RE called me the next morning with the news I swear my heart stopped - I was prepared for the worst. My RE was always so positive about our chances for conceiving and almost even promised me that ICSI would overcome polyspermy. Anyway, as hard as it may be just breath and soon you will know the outcome. You are in my prayers.

My OHSS has subsided quite a bit. I had two tappings done and that seemed to do the trick. I almost feel back to normal. My RE didn't say anything about twins, but I have heard that can sometimes make it worse. After all we've been through, I'd be thrilled for twins!

How many eggs were they able to retrieve? Hope you are taking it easy and healing well. I am praying that you will have good news to share tomorrow. I will be thinking of you! (((Hugs)))

Thanks so much for your words of encouragement last Wednesday. Your post helped me relax a little and I was able to get a good night’s sleep. The phone call the next day gave us some good(ish) news. Of the eight eggs fertilized with ISCI, only three became embryos. The Dr. didn’t provide an explanation of why the other five didn’t make it just suggested it was potentially other egg problems. Because of the small number of embryos, we did a three day transfer on Saturday. The Dr. recommended transferring two citing our inability to produce a good number of embryos. They transferred the two best quality ones (7 cell grade 4 and 7 cell grade 3) and the third was left in culture but didn’t make it to day five. We were very happy to hear that the ones they transferred were in good condition. We had convinced ourselves that because five didn’t make it, the three that did would be short lived due to poor quality as well. Now we just have to hope and pray while we wait for the blood test on Thursday, May 2nd.

Boots8182, how are you doing? Hope all of the OHSS symptoms have passed. Have you had any morning sickness or anything? Also, are you still taking progesterone? What are you using? Our clinic prescribes progesterone in oil until the day of the transfer and then switch to Endometrin through ten weeks if pregnant. I think if we do get a positive I might ask to switch back to the PIO shots – I think I’d prefer the muscle soreness to the Endometrin discharge (sorry if that’s TMI!). Hope all is well!

Just wanted to share that we got our BFP today! We've been TTC for seven years and it's hard to believe that this is finally happening. We are very excited but still a little anxious. I'm just waiting to hear how things progress before I get too comfortable...but so happy at the same time!

Hope everything is going well for you Boots8182!

Hi, Dkt78... I am over the moon for you!!! Congratulations!! It is such a blessing and after all you've had to endure I'm sure it's a bit surreal too. Enjoy every moment!

We had our first ultrasound on May 1 and were able to see the baby's heat beat. It is an incredible and emotional experience that I'll never forget. Baby's (yes, there's just one!) heart beat is strong appears to be doing well. My ultrasound was done at 7 weeks 1 day. Do you know when yours is scheduled?

It's really amazing - sometimes I can't believe I'm really pregnant because it was such a long road. It's odd that I won't be injecting myself with needles!

I am so happy for you and thrilled that ICSI was a solution to your polyspermy as well. My RE said it was the first case they've seen at the clinic (and I'm at the largest clinic in Minnesota).

Congrats again and please keep me posted on your ultrasound!

Hi guys, just wanted to say I am so happy for you both! Such wonderful news after such a long road of heartbreak! Wishing you healthy and happy pregnancies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->