12 week scan letter. UPDATED

babybambi

Reaction score
I'm both absolutely gutted and utterly annoyed ive just got my 12 week appointment.
With my last pregnancy I had everything done scan/ bloods/checks and apparently I have to wait longer than 12 weeks for my first scan and the appointment is STILL going to take 2 hours or more!
I've phoned to complain but I'm told this is how it's now done, first I see the midwife, then she decides when I have my scan?!?!!!' WTF!

Is this how it's done? It is it just me? How the hell am I going to pass of all these appointments with work?!

UPDATE:
I've just had my booking in appointment after some chasing and nagging I managed to get an appointment for today, had my bloods and paperwork done. I now have my scan date for the 19th, I'll be 13 weeks so yeay nagging works!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 93
Yeah this is how things were with my last pregnancy.
Had a 2 hour booking in appointment where filled out my notes at 9 weeks and then she sent a letter to the hospital to book me in for my 12 week scan.

I'm wondering the exact same about work.

That's my point I'll be 12 weeks when I have this appointment and it could take any length of time for a scan appointment to become available apparently. ots so frustrating!

I have my first appointment with the midwife on wednesday and will be 8 weeks have told the appointment will likely take over an hour. x

That's my point I'll be 12 weeks when I have this appointment and it could take any length of time for a scan appointment to become available apparently. ots so frustrating!

can take a matter of days now as this system works better for them and means people are seen sooner.

That's so strange, here we are seen between 8 and 10 weeks with a self referral to your local midwife. The appointment takes 1 hour and then she requests a date for your 12 week scan at your chosen hospital which will be done between 12 and 14 weeks. Seems obsurd that they would see you at 12 weeks for the first time!

That's said your midwife will hopefully be able to refer your scan to be done within 2 weeks of your appointment and that would keep you within national expectations

strange that your booking appointment is so late, where I live (Glasgow) the first midwife appointment between 9-10w and they book your scan then for between 12-14 weeks.

Hopefully the midwife at your booking can get you a scan quickly x

So you'll be 10+ weeks at that first appointment?

That's exactly as all of my pregnancies have been. Only difference is we have a midwife in our Dr's surgery but ours is the only Dr's that does that.

As for work,they have to give you time off for pregnancy related appointments and they can't make you make that time up (in the uk)

I work 7-12 and my 12 scan is this Wednesday at 9.30, the appointment can last three hours so my employer has to give me the full day off paid. I've already had three appointments this pregnancy but there's really nothing they can say about it.

So you'll be 10+ weeks at that first appointment?

That's exactly as all of my pregnancies have been. Only difference is we have a midwife in our Dr's surgery but ours is the only Dr's that does that.

As for work,they have to give you time off for pregnancy related appointments and they can't make you make that time up (in the uk)

I work 7-12 and my 12 scan is this Wednesday at 9.30, the appointment can last three hours so my employer has to give me the full day off paid. I've already had three appointments this pregnancy but there's really nothing they can say about it.

I'll be 12 weeks at my booking in appointment, ive already done my booking in appointment with the midwife at the doctors office but I've been told I have to have a hospital booking in appointment as well.
I haven't told work I'm pregnant I wasn't planning on telling them until I had my scan to make sure everything's ok. compared to my first pregnancy I'm not having many symptoms which has me worried.
And now a scan may be delayed to 13+ weeks.

I'm just pissed that the system has changed. With my first pregnancy I did my doctors/midwife booking in. Got my scan date through, had the scan and bloods drawn on the same appointment.

That does seem a bit odd to have to do two booking appointments. I take it they can't see you any earlier?

Up here it used to be that you went to midwife then they give you a scan date but I'm told by my friend who had s baby more recently that we now self refer and they send two separate appointments for 9/10w (booking in) and 12/13w (scan).

Do you have the option of ringing EPAU at your hospital. If you're really very worried, they might see you? X

That does seem a bit odd to have to do two booking appointments. I take it they can't see you any earlier?

Up here it used to be that you went to midwife then they give you a scan date but I'm told by my friend who had s baby more recently that we now self refer and they send two separate appointments for 9/10w (booking in) and 12/13w (scan).

Do you have the option of ringing EPAU at your hospital. If you're really very worried, they might see you? X

Unfortunately they wont see me as I don't have any complications. And I'd still need my doctors/midwives referral.
I've tried to get another appointment but the only one they had was for the 18th which is a later date. I was pretty much told thats how they do it and there's nothing I can do about it. So I aside from being able to vent here I have no choice but to suck it up and hope that I get a scan before 14weeks. Otherwise I'm in second tri before I even know If there's a healthy pregnancy in there. :(

That does seem strange to have 2 booking in appointments. & sounds like a waste of everyone's time. I'm in my third preg last 2 in different areas but process has been the same. 9 wk booking in then letter through a week or so later for scan at 12 ish weeks.
Work have to let you off & have to keep your circumstances confidential.
Try not to worry that anything is wrong every preg is different. I know people who had debilitating morning sickness with one & none with another. I'm sure all is fine xx

You could get a reassurance scan privately. They are around £40 to £50 for an early one

Where do you live? I already had 3 scans by the time I hit 12 weeks.

Mines was still the same as my last pregnancy, booking in appt first, I had that at end of November, it said on letter can take up to 2 hours but it only took an hour and my midwife had my scan letter from the hospital, 12 week scan is on the 29th Dec. Luckily im on xmas hols from work then anyway. As long as you have the letters to show your work, they have to allow you the time off.

I think things have changed a lot! I had to wait till 8 weeks to even see a GP to be reffered! When I got my booking appointment I was probably close to 12 weeks and I had to wait till I got to that appointment for the midwife to book my scan. After that appointment I got a letter two days letter to say my scan was close to 14 weeks!!

With my first pregnancy 4 years ago I saw the GP at 4 weeks and was referred straight away. I got the letter for my booking in for 9 weeks and my scan letter at the same time! Everything was much faster then

Just like to add I was in a different borough with my first pregnancy so it could be hospitals in each area working differently or things changing in the last 4 years X

As per the update, finally had my booking appointment and now have confirmed scan letter for the 19th first thing in the morning. Woohoo.

That is a relief! It sounds like such a hassle. We get referral forms from the midwife and call to make our own scan appointments here which seems much easier. Also interview and choose a midwife and don't have to wait for any booking in appointments.

This has kind of happened to me. I'm just over 6 weeks. Rang my doctors about a week ago to book a MW appointment. They told me I need to see a doc first. She said there's "no rush" and the earliest shed book me in was 14th Jan. so I'll be 8w. He's gotta then send off for me to see the MW, and then she's got to send off for my scan so it's going to be agggges before my scan. I saw the MW at 6 weeks and I was over 12w when I got my scan last time. I've just booked a private scan I can't cope with the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->