12 week scan - measuring a week behind!

Dotty Doo

Reaction score
So, I went for my 12 week scan today at what I thought was 12+4. It turns out I am measuring at 11+2! The sonographer was unable to take the measurement for the NT test because baby is only just big enough, so I have to go back for another scan next week. She said everything looked normal, there was a strong heartbeat flickering away, both hands and feet just is measuring small, however a normal measurement for 11+2 (45mm).

I don't feel worried, although I must be because I'm posting on here! I'm worried that when I go back next week baby will still be measuring small, although the rational part of my brain knows it wouldn't have come this far if there was a problem with growth/development. I suppose the logical explanation is that I ovulated later than I thought, and with falling pregnant the first cycle after stopping the pill is hardly surprising. I actually have no idea when I ovulated.

Sorry for the waffle! It was lovely to have the scan today and see baby wriggling around. I just feel as if I am repeating a whole week of first trimester worry!

I am due to have my 12 week scan on the 6th of October which by my LMP will put me right on 12 weeks. I am worried because my dating scan put me back 4 days but the combination of the sac measurement and the measurement of the baby meant they didn't change my due date. Now I'm thinking I will probably be the same and baby will measure less than 12 weeks and they will make me go back again too. Not ideal when this is baby #4 and it will be school holidays!! I asked the lady on the phone if she was sure I was booking the right date and she assured me I was. I just hope she's right. I hope your follow up scan goes well next week! I just can't wait to reach the12 week mark and have the scan so I can stop trying to hide it from everyone!!

I'm sure all will be fine :) both times I've conceived have been practically straight after the pill like you, and have kind of ended up in 6 weeksish cycles.
With my first baby they used my lmp to guess when I'd be 12 weeks, I was expecting to be 10 weeks due to when I ovulated, he measured 9, but I went back 3 weeks later and he caught up and measured 13 weeks :D he is now a healthy almost 2 year old :) they're using my lmp again this time around so I'm going for my '12' weeks scan on Monday, I know this time I'll only be 9 weeks, 10 at a push lol. Hope your next scan goes well :)

I stopped Microgynon at end of packet, had breakthrough bleed and then didn't ovulate until calender day 18!! (usually 12-14 for me) and I got pregnant that month so could definitely be late ovulation x

I measured a week behind with my first... Who is sat on my lap watching rubbish YouTube videos so don't worry too much.

Also I'm sure I had an NT done with him at 11+1 so not sure why they didn't.

Keep well :)

They tell you that scans can measure plus or minus up to 2 weeks. It's not all that uncommon or cause for concern provided everything else measures up and is looking good. Heartbeat is a key thing! I wouldn't sweat it, they also tend to grow at their own pace :)

I was put back a full 9 days with DD, and she came out okay. Try not to worry. :flower: And babies ignore their eviction dates anyway, and come when they want, so that extra week might not even make a difference in the end!

My son was an accident so I know exactly when I got pregnant and we used condoms after.
But he measured 2 weeks behind from 9 weeks on into the second trimester. Then he suddenly caught up, the dates were adjusted a bit and in the third trimester he always measured larger, yet they would not adjust the dates anymore. He was born at 42+5 with every possible sign of a post term baby.

My current pregnancy also measures smaller. I hope it is the same thing because we only had sex during a limited amount of time.

Thanks everyone. I feel a bit better having slept on it and it's reassuring to hear other peoples stories where it all turned out ok. I'm easily worried so it doesn't take much!

Redhead, apparently for the nt test the crl has to be a minimum of 45mm and baby is measuring 45.2. I got sent out for a wee, had to do lots of coughing and was made to jump up and down but naughty baby wouldn't move into a good enough position for her to see! She said the fluid she could see looked thin but couldn't measure. I think baby knows I just want another opportunity to say hello!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->