13 month old in toddler bed

skittlewatson

Reaction score
Im 7 months pregnant with 2nd and my son is 13 months,we put him in new room in toddler bed last night but took us 1 hr and half to get him to stay inbed and sleep,once asleep he stayed there all night but we are having same prob at nap time.ive got to get him used to it before I get too heavily pregnant (hubby works nights) nd before baby is here. Any tips on keeping him in bed?
heellllpppp

My oldest first went into a toddler bed at 17 months old so a bit older than your LO, but I just kept putting her back in bed with no fuss. You could try thaht. She wasn't upset or crying, just finding it fun to get up, so the first time she got up I told her it was time to go to sleep, night night, gave her a kiss and tucked her in etc. The next few times I said something like "sleepy time now, night night" and quickly tucked her in, then for the few times after that it was "Go to sleep" (not shouted, said nicely!) and after that I just put her back in bed without talking. The first night it took something like 45 goes to get her to stay in bed! I just waited outside her bedroom door, which was open, until I saw her get out of bed. If she was just sitting up I left her. The second night it was around 18 times, the next night 3 times, then after that she just stayed in bed. If she cried, which she did once or twice on the first night, I gave her a cuddle until she calmed down but no real talking, then carried on. It was very stressful on the first night wondering if she'd ever stay but after that it was easy and worked pretty quickly.

My lo was 17/18 months when we moved him into his new (full size single) bed and his new bedroom. We were lucky and it all went soooo smoothly! We started off involving lo as we decorated the new room, etc and then when it was ready just let him play in there a bit to get used to the room. We then started giving him his bedtime milk in the new room... Afterwards I'd ask him where he wanted to sleep - in his cot in his old room or in his new bed. For a while he'd indicate that he wanted to go in the bed, but at the last minute opt for his cot. However, it got later and later that he'd change his mind, then after a week or two he went into his bed & slept all night! We've not looked back since! So yeah, for us, letting lo decide when he was ready worked. There was no pressure for him... And well, you know kids - they never want to do something if they think they're being made to! Lol

we removed the side off my 18mo's cot last night for the first time and same with him he got up 8 times between 7:20 and 7:40 when he dropped off to sleep which wasn't too bad, we just kept putting him back into his bed, said night night as we always do so he knows its bed time and he soon got the idea, stayed there all night after. just keep at it hun, remember hes only young so will take time to get him to realise but he will get there don't worry, may take a week or so but keep been persistent and he will get there! good luck! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->