14 month old with terrible diaper rash, HELP! UPDATEd

jd83

Mom to 2 beautiful boys!
Reaction score
My 14 month old has a really bad diaper rash, very red and very bumpy and raised. Its been 2 days, and looks to be getting worse not better. I am at a complete loss as to how to help it because tbh, my boys never really get rashes. When they have in the past, diaper cream one time cleared it up. I am using Desitin every change and changing diapers often to try and keep it dry. What else can I do?

Nappy free time is the best idea. If the rash goes scaly round the edges when it's dried out, it's probably fungal so go to the doctors and get some cream prescribed for it.

If it's not fungal, more time with no nappy and very frequent changes when you do need him in a nappy. Try different creams, some babies and some rashes respond better to different ones. You can try oats and/or camomile tea in the bath and stop using bubble bath etc and disposable wipes, just use a cloth and warm water or cooled camomile tea. Make sure to dry LO thoroughly before putting nappy cream on and don't put it on too thickly, you should still be able to see the texture of the skin through the cream.

I did stop using bubble bath when I noticed it starting, as he has sensitive skin already so I figured a rash would be extra sensitive to bath additions. I only use sensitive wipes, but I will try using cloth/water and see if that helps.

Unfortunately, this is a terrible week for diaper free time, but this was a method I had thought of as its one I have suggested to others before. He's at the sitter while I work, and I am sure she will not let him be diaper free as she just got new carpet over the summer. I would when I get home, but this week we have a gospel meeting every evening after dinner time, so we get home, eat, and the head to the gospel meeting at church. Just not enough time really to set him diaper free.

I will get some different creams and see if any of them work better to help it.

Update: Took him to the doctor yesterday because the rash really just did not seem normal to me, especially for my kids who normally don't get rashes. It had spread so fast, too, that seemed pretty abnormal.

Turns out its a yeast infection, and diaper rash cream was making it worse by keeping it moist. So they prescribed nystatin to treat it with. Already improving.

Anyways, just though I'd update because I honestly had never heard of boy babies getting yeast infections. Learn something new every day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->