15 month old behind in areas

Southernmama1

Reaction score
My son’s pediatrician sent in a referral to a developmental pediatrician to be evaluated due to being behind in a lot of areas. While he does have some red flags for autism, he also doesn’t. He makes great eye contact, happy and smiley, babbles non stop, reaches for us and toys, plays well sith 2.5 year old sister, no tantrums or obsessive behavior. However, he doesn’t point, wave, shake head yes or no, doesn’t hand me things or show, not imitating often, not standing independently or walking (works with a PT already). The wait for the evaluation is going to take months and I’m worrying myself to death. Have any of you experienced this with your little ones and they have caught up without any diagnosis of a disorder?

I think they've probably made the referral BECAUSE the wait takes months. By the time it comes through it will be much more obvious if he has any support needs, or not. they'd prefer to refer and not need it than not refer and then he's behind and not getting the help he needs. My LO only stood independently and then walked at 15months, I never remember her waving or imitating really...each child is so different please try not to worry till you know where you stand.

DD didn't start standing independantly until nearly 15 months and has only just started walking a metre or two independantly a couple of weeks ago at 16 months. She'll walk quite a long way holding a hand or pushing something along. She doesn't really nod or shake and only imitates if she feels like it. I think like noon child said it's better to have a referral in place and not need it than have to wait months for help later on

My son was really delayed and received 3 years of developmental therapy. He was anywhere from 6-12 months behind before he was even 2 and I was terrified. He was 2 points away from being placed on the autism spectrum so he was given sensory therapy as well. He's in high school now and on honor roll. If you met him you'd never believe what I just told you is true. It's best to be proactive. :) But it doesn't have to turn out like that to be a happy ending. If your kid needs some extra help that's totally okay. And it's normal to worry about it because he's your kid. No matter what he's wonderful and he's going to be okay.

love the advice above from weebles. I'm not dealing with this, but I've had other things I've worried about with my boys. No matter what happens, delays or not, he's going to be okay. Just remember that. He's going to be okay, you're going to be okay, and everything will work out just as it was supposed to. Hugs to you, mama! I know it's scary.

I think it's good he is now 'in the system' as it means any needs he has will be identified early. Some things may be considered a red flag but it certainly doesn't necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your baby. Neither of mine has ever nodded or shaken their head. My older daughter didn't do it until she was over 3 and she is a completely typical child who has fantastic speech. She just didn't need to communicate that way as she could tell us what she wanted/liked/didn't like.

My baby only started pointing properly at 12 months and still doesn't really bother that much, but I have no concerns about her either as she is so typical in so many other ways. I'd try to focus on what is positive about your son's development, which sounds pretty good to me, and trust that hopefully the other things will come in time.

Even if they don't, he will get the help he needs once he is assessed.

I don't think this is of any comfort, but my baby who did things the earliest (pulling to stand, cruising, imitating, pointing, waving etc) is my only kid with autism!

My DD didn’t wave, point, nod her head, or imitate at all until she was well over a year old, possible closer to two years old. I had no idea this was atypical until I had my DS who started doing all these things before 10 months old and I thought he was a genius and then came to realize my DD was just late with this stuff. There is absolutely zero concern with her development, she just did some things a little late. She still isn’t great at imitating or copying movements and has terrible rhythm. Her little brother loves to dance and keeps time to the music but her movements are jerky and off beat, I figure she just take after her dad.

My dd2 has an ASD diagnosis, they backed and forthed a long time before making a diagnosis because she ticked some boxes and not others. She has now had 12 months of therapy and has gone from being delayed 12 months in most areas to now performing 1-2 years ahead in most areas. Would she have caught up anyway without the diagnosis and therapy? Who knows! Did they jump the gun on the diagnosis? That’s debatable! Do I have any regrets about her diagnosis? Not for a second. The diagnosis provided funding for therapy we otherwise would not have afforded. She’s doing so well, we wouldn’t do anything differently if we had our time again.

What age was diagnosed? What signs did she have?? On one side I’m almost wishing they could hit diagnose him so he could get the therapy he needs to catch up. I just have a gut feeling that he isn’t just delayed. It’s worrying me to death and with him only being 15 months old they won’t even start evaluations until he’s at least 18 months so it’s like a waiting game.

That is amazing to hear!! I’m hoping for the same outcome for my son. While I think he checks a lot of boxes for autism, I still have hope that he can and will catch up without a diagnosis. What kind of therapies was he in?

My daughter was initially identified as having a speech delay when we went along for the standard 2 year old check up. She then went on to have speech therapy and the speech therapist noticed she didn’t look in a direction if she was pointing at something, she had limited abilities with imaginative play, she didn’t show me things or often try to engage me in the things she was doing. From there she was referred for an autism screen. It took several months and different assessments for them to actually make the diagnosis though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->