16 kids and counting...

Nut_Shake

Reaction score
Who else watches this? I LOVE this programme! Not because I want 16 kids, haha. I just find it intriguing, am completely amazed at how the mothers deal with so many kids!

i always watch & no idea how they cope!

LO often faffs when we leave the house or im cooking dinner etc so since watching the last series & i stop & think i have 15 kids less than her & im getting stressed :-0 x

I watched it and the previous one too. It makes me tired just watching them. I also have quite strong opinions on the subject but won't go into them here!!

Saw it last night, was a good start to the series, I think the mom was right when she said no more, at least wait til he gets a job so they can save for a bigger house, that house was so cramped. I love the other family too, don't know how they want to have any more though! xx

I watched it and the previous one too. It makes me tired just watching them. I also have quite strong opinions on the subject but won't go into them here!!

Share share!

I like the main family, the parents work so well together, a real team, and the fact that they make their own money to afford their lifestyle is commendable. I do however think, when does having too many become slightly irresponsible? With that many kids its normal for everything in the kids lives to become very watered down i.e. They've not hidden the fact that they eat whatever is cheap and easy to make. A lot of stodgy foods etc. They don't receive much of their parents attention being so many of them. Going out or even on holiday its very hard to keep an eye on every single one of them at all times. Obviously the love there though is amazing, having each other is wonderful, and they do seem very close...

The Asian family last night, I just couldn't believe their cramped living conditions and the extreme mess in the house. I know having that many kids its hard to keep on top of things but I just felt so bad for them and for the mother. The dad infuriated me, as far as I'm concerned he's got the brain of a child himself and he's lazy. 7 years applying for jobs and he's never been called for an interview? Bollocks. It done it for me when the mother cried and told him to go out and do any sort of work to give them a better life, even maybe opening a newsagents. His reply... 'A doctor of philosophy selling chocolates? No'. As far as I'm concerned you do whatever the hell you have to to provide for your family, and even more so if you want to have that many kids, and still want to have more!

I agree! I have no issues with the main family, they chose to have that many kids and from what you can see they'r doing a great job of it, the parents have sacrificed their nights out for the sake of their family and all the kids seem happy :)

The Asian family infuriated me though, I don't believe for one minute he can't get a job anywhere, like you say, in that situation you would do literally any job to provide for their kids! The mother could go out and work also, although not sure how well dad would cope alone with the kids!

I have the utter most respect for the Radfords- two incredibly hard working parents who do as much as they can to support their children. They all seem lovely, well mannered and as children should be.

However- I didn't like the other family. Living off benefits- I know its a common jibe and gets peoples backs up...but really. I get that the guy has a doctorate and is probably too proud to work in McDonalds- but seriously. Get off your backside and set an example to your children!

Ok so maybe I will be shot down for my opinion, but yes the first family with 16 children might not be on benefits, BUT they do recieve £160 in child benefit every week compared to the £33.50 people get per week for 2 children. But not only that yes they do provide for their family housing wise and feeding, clothing them etc, but they do not provide schooling for 16 children, medical and doctors appointments etc, it is the drain on the economy and the resources of the government and the country.

I really believe there is no need to have that many children and I really do find it irresponsible. You can see how the older children have to look after the younger ones, they get less one to one time with parents. I just really disagree with it.

Sorry if my opinion offends, maybe we should start a new thread in debates (if there isn't one already)

Very true Danielle, I did think that then felt they worked so well together and cope so well so they are very deserving of that big and lovely family unit, but then again id go back to it being quite irresponsible for having too many to give real quality of life and proper attention to each child... I suppose it surely must be a very psychological thing for wanting that many kids as its such an extreme. I'm not sure about the others, but the main family, both parents were adopted when they were young, wanted kids of their own to give them the love they never received from their 'real' parents and never wanted their kids to grow up alone. Very interesting debate really :) xx

Ok so maybe I will be shot down for my opinion, but yes the first family with 16 children might not be on benefits, BUT they do recieve £160 in child benefit every week compared to the £33.50 people get per week for 2 children. But not only that yes they do provide for their family housing wise and feeding, clothing them etc, but they do not provide schooling for 16 children, medical and doctors appointments etc, it is the drain on the economy and the resources of the government and the country.

I really believe there is no need to have that many children and I really do find it irresponsible. You can see how the older children have to look after the younger ones, they get less one to one time with parents. I just really disagree with it.

Sorry if my opinion offends, maybe we should start a new thread in debates (if there isn't one already)

Yes but at least they work for that money. Tax rebate in my eyes. :flower:

I watched it for the first time ever on 4OD today. Loved it.

I do understand exactly what Danielle is saying, the time/attention situation is the worst thing for me because sometimes children are just desperate for one on one time, and I imagine that to be pretty much impossible.

The drain doesnt worry me so much with the Radfords, the reason being is that I think the families work ethic will rub off on to the children and therefore they will contribute as much as they take in the years to come. The other family however, well I hope his work ethics dont rub off on the children.

I adore the Radfords. They are such an amazing family, every one of them. I imagine Mr Radford is paying out plenty of tax on his business, so I am completely unbothered by what he gets back.

I disagree- they recieve the same amount per child in child benefit as what you do. The tax they pay contributes towards the childrens education, healthcare etc, and their children in turn, when they grow up and start work, will also pay into the system.

As for not needing that many children- who does have children because they need them? We have children because we WANT them.

Yes but if everybody had the same mindset as them and had 16, the tax that the one person the dad pays will no where near cover what they receive back! It would cripple to country. I know for a fact that when I only had one child I gave him a lot more attention than what I could give him when my second one came along so I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to spend quality time with 16 children, on top of that having to do all the housework, cooking etc.

I am no doctor either but I would think that putting so much strain on the mothers body on the first episode they told the mother it was really dangerous for her to have another child which I also think is very selfish when there is a high risk of leaving 16 children without a mother.

I thought the Radfords were fantastic in their work ethic and how they managed to bring up 16 children to be so well behaved. In comparison to the other family on the programme, whose children seemed to be running amok (I was squirming watching their visit to Ikea!), the Radford children came across as better brought up than the others. Re benefits and money, I wouldn't begrudge the Radfords anything as they work hard, and doubly hard as don't employ staff in bakery to cut costs so they deserve it, however £691 (or whatever it was around that amount) a week going to that other family whose dad thought he was too good to work in a shop is a disgrace.

However I do agree with what previous posters have said on here about how having so many children may border on irresponsible with regards to attention and having to cut costs to be able to provide for them all. While there is clearly a lot of love in both families in the programme and up to a point, love is all you need, there does come a point where you need to stop and ask yourself if your children are going to miss out too on some things with there being so many to share with.

x

Yes but if everybody had the same mindset as them and had 16, the tax that the one person the dad pays will no where near cover what they receive back! It would cripple to country. I know for a fact that when I only had one child I gave him a lot more attention than what I could give him when my second one came along so I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be to spend quality time with 16 children, on top of that having to do all the housework, cooking etc.

I am no doctor either but I would think that putting so much strain on the mothers body on the first episode they told the mother it was really dangerous for her to have another child which I also think is very selfish when there is a high risk of leaving 16 children without a mother.

But you could argue that a couple that has, say- 3 children, and neither parent work, is a bigger drain on the system. People that cant be bothered to get off their lazy arses and get a job cripple the country too, least this family provide for their family- provide financially, love, a home. I take my hat off to them.

I didnt see the part about her life being at risk having another child, that is worrying in all fairness. But then, every single one of us takes a risk when they have a child. I do think they need to consider stopping soon, but the choice is ultimately theirs.

Loraloo totally agree with you about families not working and being on benefits having no intention to work, my DF has to work away Mon-Fri so we only have the weekends as a family and it absolutley kills us, hate him being away, but he does it for a good wage and to provide for his family.

I have decided not to have anymore children for 2 reasons, finances and health reasons, I developed gestational diabetes during my final pregnancy and unfortunately it has stayed with me.

Like I have said in previous posts I just find it irresponsible, and that second family with the bone idle dad just made my blood boil!

Actually there is a 3rd reason I am sticking to 2 children PATIENCE! I think I would end up in a mental institution with 16 to cope with :haha:

I watch this programme (and OBEM) as my guilty pleasures. I love it.

The Radfords are lovely, but I do not entirely agree with them having quite so many children. She's been incredibly lucky that she's had no complications with her pregnancies - but I don't think I could put my children's futures at risk being in my late 30s, having had 15+ children and still thinking we'll have more. What if something went wrong (maybe my pessimistic side there). Also, I noticed watching the other night that the older children seem to take 'parental' roles - while yes, Sue does the housework, helps with the bakery etc, Dad works every morning etc, she effectively has live-in help. I should imagine that once the older children were old enough to help out, even in the smallest ways, it gets to a point where the workload doesn't really increase. My other question - if they're that strict about budget, do they really give their kids Walker's Crisps in their packed lunches, or is that for the benefit of the cameras lol (bit jealous - I'm on a strict budget and have to buy own brand. Can't remember the last time I bought brand name anything really lol).

I love the other family - the one who home-schools all her children. My word though, I wouldn't like to meet her down a dark alley lol. Her children are very responsive lol. But she again, having c-sections every time now, she can't do that to her body repeatedly and expect nothing to happen. And again, the older ones shoulder a share of the burden.

Don't get me started on the Asian family - my blood boils lol. I feel so so sorry for the Mum. She obviously didn't choose this life, and would literally do anything for her family, but culturally she's stuck with her lot. Poor woman. Best of luck to their daughter though. I hope she strikes out into the world and does well for herself :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->