16 month old No 1st word?

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by QuintinsMommy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. QuintinsMommy

QuintinsMommy Well-Known Member

I'm getting worried . Quin went to the doctor yesterday and he has no 1st words, barely understands when I talk and doesn't nod yes, or wave
    he does point and he use to wave hi and bye around 12 months but they he just stopped :(
    They are sending for a hearing test and we go back to the doctors in 2 months to see if there is an improvement:nope:
    he hits all the other milestones spot on other then communication ones
    does anyone know what this is?
    I read to him/tallk to him/bring him around other kids not sure what else I can do to help?

2. RJsMum

RJsMum Mommy of RJ

I know my DS will do something one month and then go a couple months without doing it again...if that offers you any comfort. I would see what the doctor finds out, but for all you know it could be nothing to worry about and he could just simply be a "late bloomer." x

3. QuintinsMommy

I'm hoping he is just a late bloomer, and sucks I'm left to worry because it takes a few weeks to get in for a hearing test an it will be 2 months before he sees the doctor

4. fairy1984

fairy1984 Well-Known Member

my LO was saying nothing at all at 16 months and has just all of a sudden in the past month started saying words.

I hope this helps

5. eddjanuary10

eddjanuary10 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the hearing test, maybe you won't have to worry for that long he might just start saying words and surprise you very soon! x

6. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

Abigail does the thing of learning a new skill and then not doing it again, I think they do like to focus on new things and get bored with old ones. She used to say 'hello' and now will only say 'goodbye' and there are other words that she used to say and now doesn't any more, it's like she only has room for so many things at once and has to drop some of them when something new comes along! I hope the results of the hearing test come back OK, it's so horrible when you have to worry about them isn't it :hugs:

7. Baby France

Baby France Me and my amazing babies!

My little monster spent a long time not saying things!! Just pointing, bit by bit he got better and this last week he's come on leaps and bounds with his talking!

Try not to worry, I rang my health visitor I was that concerned about it and she told me to wait until his two year check up as any problems would be properly assessed then. At his check up he was waffling away but he was past 18 months before any proper words formed!!

All you can do is keep repeating yourself...we had an animal book and repeatedly made the noise of ducks, cats etc etc pointing to them asking what they did and then did it.

:flower:

Hope his ear appointment goes ok too honey!

8. QuintinsMommy

I don't seem to think its his ears because he has been tested before :)
    I will buy some new books and see if that helps :)
    hes never been very vocal he babbled late, and didnt even cry much before 2 months old

9. Cattia

Cattia Well-Known Member

My friend's son was just like this, he was never really a babbler, and he didn't say anything at all by 18 months. Luckily she is not a worrier so she just figured he would do it in his own time. Now he is almost two and suddenly the words have just started coming. Every time I see him he has loads of new words now! He was also a really early crawler and walker so I wonder if he just focused on other skills apart from talking. He is a very sociable and happy little boy, he is doing great.

10. TennisGal

TennisGal Well-Known Member

:hugs: definitely try not to worry-so many littlies do things in their own time. I know so many toddlers who said nothing for ages, and then just burst into speech!! Lizzie will also say something for a good fortnight, and then not repeat it again for ageessss!!

11. rjm09

rjm09 kcm12

The friends and familis kids that all walked early didn't say anything, or much of anything by time they were 2!

At 6 weeks old, our son said hungry. We recorded it on a phone which we wish was still in working order.We let everyone hear it, it was amazing! He's almost 2 and that's one of the words he doesn't say now!

They get their spurts. I don't really remember when he really started talking, maybe between 12-15 months.

12. MrsBandEgglet

MrsBandEgglet Mummy to 3, expecting #4

My LO is sixteen months and he doesn't say anything. He points, at everything and nothing lol. He doesn't wave, nod or shake his head, so basically he doesn't gesticulate nor articulate and now i'm quite concerned :? I'm quite certain he can hear though. I'm sure everything is ok and your LO's hearing is fine but I know how you feel worrying that he's not talking or anything yet. xx

13. ellie27

ellie27 Well-Known Member

Anna doesnt say anything either, however I do know that she understands almost everything I say so I am not worrying.

We can say things like 'go and get your shoes and she will go out into the hall and come back with her shoes. or 'look there is a bird in the garden' and she goes to the french doors and looks outside. 'anna go and get your juice' and she will go find her drink bottle.

Maybe try focus on repetition of words. In the kitchen I am constantly saying 'where is the fridge, where is the clock, where is mums tea....'and although she cant say anything she does point to all the correct things.

Try these types of questions and you might be surprised by how much Lo knows.:flower:

14. mommy2lilmen

mommy2lilmen Well-Known Member

Hi there
    My lo is 20 months old and has said a few words and hasnt since. He squeels alot. He does understand me now, but prior , from 12ish months till now, he would just scream or walk on...he doesnt nod yes, or no, doesnt wave much, he used to alot, he is just beginning to feed himself. he will attempt to talk, with the back of his throat...I think all babies learn at different paces. I would put headphones on your little one, see if he can hear that, if he can, it for sure is not his ears. If you put on the tv and have him in another room, does he come to see? I hope the haering test goes well, i know how it is for appointments and stuff...here it sucks in canada for appointments. I have another forum friend and she says oh Im making an appointment for this and that, and I say well do it quick, and bam she gets in right away. Im jealous. I have had to wait 7 months for my son to get a lump on his testicle looked at. go figure. Ugh...anyways, I went off topic, but wanted you to know, your not alone. :hugs:

15. Snowball

Snowball Resident badass

Ozzie's 19 months and he still doesn't say actual words. He says sounds like didi (dog) but no actual formation. My other son was about 2 before he started forming words :)

16. QuintinsMommy

I do this all the time like "wheres your cup?" "find a car" "wheres the cat?" "time to go take a bath "and he doesnt know what I'm saying
    :hugs:

17. Baby France

Baby France Me and my amazing babies!

Soo very true! My little boy was a quick crawler/walker/climber!! I think boys tend to throw themselves around a bit while girls sit back and take it all in...thats what seems to have happened with my two and my friends two!

18. bluehorse

bluehorse Mummy to Grace and Rowan

Try not to worry... I know of quite a few LOs who take ages with their speech development... I was apparently 2 and a half before I said much at all... then one day I was really poorly and in desperation to explain how I felt I rambled off a massive explanation. In other words I didn't really do the 'one word' stage... !:dohh:

19. QuintinsMommy

thanks everyone been trying not to worry

20. lylasmummy

lylasmummy Well-Known Member

Lyla didn't have any words till she was around 16 months old, the health visitor referred her to a paediatrician cos I was sooo worried, turns out I needn't have worried, she's got loads better just recently, in fact I put football on a bit ago, and she just turned around and said "oh god" haha