16 weeks - how can stress affect baby?

LoneWanderer

Reaction score
Hi ladies! Sorry in advance for long post...

I'm 16+1, and I'm really worried about my little one.
I'm not at the feeling movement stage, though I did once think I felt some, sort of, bubble feelings. But that was more than a week ago, and nothing at all since.

I've been having weird pains and twinges, some in my sides, others below my pubic bone and to the right.
Nausea has basically gone, except a few brief waves in past few days. Basically, I don't feel all that pregnant. However, none of this was worrying me too much - read online it was pretty normal - until...

Earlier this week, our house was burgled. We were asleep in bed, and somebody climbed through a downstairs window, went through literally every room but ours, turned cupboards, drawers etc inside out, made off with a bunch of stuff. Police have arrested them and we will get most of our stuff back eventually - once it's released from their evidence cupboard, of course! Could have been much worse tbh.

BUT it's really freaked me out, obviously. Just the idea someone was in here, gives me the creeps. Especially as we think that me getting up to go to the loo has disturbed them - I mean, what if I'd run into them...?!

I am doing my absolute best to be calm and avoid stress, but I can't help it. The night after it happened, I had a panic attack. I've been waking up in the night at every slight noise. I feel tired and ill through the day.

Most of all though, I'm worried about the baby. I'm annoyed at myself for feeling stressed out, because I'm surely stressing the baby out? Then I get even more worried - it's a vicious cycle I can't seem to break!

I just wish it was moving already, so I could be reassured by feeling movement. I have the midwife middle of next week, but that feels so far away. It's been so long since our last scan at 12 weeks (when baby was looking great, except it barely moved the whole time). I'd feel daft bothering the hospital - I've not had any bleeding or severe pain or anything. But I wish I could be checked over.

I know there's no answer to all this, I just need to wait out the next few days until the midwife, and then hopefully she'll listen to the heartbeat and tell me all is well. Just wondered if anyone else had been through stressful or traumatic events early second tri: hopefully you'll tell me everything turned out fine with baby...??

Didn't want to read and run hun but God you've had a rubbish time! In sure your baby is fine, at 16 weeks with my first baby my sickness had gone and I was getting pains, my stomach hurt really bad, it was just my stomach stretching like crazy, she's now 7 and was completely fine and I'm sure you be too, just need to try and relax a bit hun

At 4 months pregnant, my then boyfriend had someone beat me up while he watched....my DS is a happy 14yr old.

That would be extremely stressful and would be so hard to not to worry. Did you know the person? And one good thing that can’t help you rest is he’s in jail and the chances of that happening again are slim to none. That’s crazy, I can’t imagine and would feel the same way so we are here to talk about it and maybe that will give you some relief. I’m sure the baby is fine, they are so resilient and I’ll pray for it and that your doctor appointment goes well!

So extremely stressful but I’m sure baby is fine!! You’re on the weird time in pregnancy where sickness has gone but there are not consistent movements or kicks yet! It’s so hard not to worry but I’m sure it’s fine!!

Thanks all for your replies and kind words.
(OnErth&InHvn - I'm so sorry that happened to you! That's awful! At least your little one is okay).

I am still worrying like mad, but I really hope when I see midwife on Wednesday she can let us hear the heartbeat. Some people online say they heard their little ones at 16 weeks, others said the midwife wouldn't do it. Given the circumstances, maybe she'll be understanding at give us some much-needed reassurance...

Doesn't help that I'm still getting these niggling twinges through the day, in my pubic area on the right side, near the crease of my thigh. A couple of seconds of pain at a time, nothing severe, but happens a few times an hour. Enough to worry me, but not enough to bother the hospital. Just waiting it out...

That sounds like round ligamemt pain. You're fine and baby is fine. I'm sure if you explain to midwife your concern she'll let you hear heartbeat.

Cheers all. Heard the baby today and it sounded fantastic!

That’s really horrible hun. It’s absolutely expected for you to be stressed. It’s quite traumatic. I mean sure baby can feel it when our heart rate is elevated but it can’t be helped sometimes. I’m sure your little one is okay. Maybe it would help if you talked to someone about your feelings?

We had trauma in my community at around November. I wasn’t 14 weeks yet. A little boy drowned in the school swimming pool of my kids school. I already suffer anxiety and depression from before pregnancy. Had several panic attacks after what happened and made the decision to go back on medication at 14 weeks. My baby is fine so far and I’m 32 weeks. Feeling regular movements and my appointments have been textbook. Most things feel the same as my previous 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->