17 and pregnant ... first doctors appointment Wednesday, what will happen?

Natali

Teen mum to twins :)
Reaction score
Hey, I'm only 17 but I'm really mature for my age, so please don't judge me on that concept. I'm just here purely to receive any advice and information. I have my first appointment on Wednesday and I am unsure what to expect. Have any of you ladies had your first appointments? If so, what happens? Any info is appreciated, thankyou :)

Are you in the UK or the US? I think the experiences are quite different!

If you're in the UK, the doctor might ask for a urine sample so they can verify the pregnancy (or they might not) and then probably just refer you for your first midwife appointment.

Good luck!

Hi there, I wrote in my journal about my first doctor appointment. It was a confirmation of pregnancy appointment.
Had doctors appointment to confirm pregnancy. Had my little FMU sample ready (hidden away from my too observant 9yo. When in and had a chat,
DR - why do you think you are pregnant?
Me - had two positive tests and no period
DR - which test did you use?
Me - Tesco.
DR - I wont bother to test your sample then.

Fair enough.
She asked few other questions, drinking, smoking, taking vitamins, previous pregnancy histories and labour notes.
Gave me EDD of 21st January.
Will hear from midwife for booking appointment in around 2 weeks time, 1st scheduled scan will be at 11/12weeks.
All places will do things slightly different, but mostly just confirm it and then hand you over to midwife team (either by appointment or you book in at your surgery, they'll let you know which way they do it)
Good luck with it, make sure you ask any questions you can while there.
Hope that's of some help.

Hi and welcome. My first appointment was a bunch of bloodwork, questions about my pregnancy history and cycle, and a referal to an obstetrician. I'm in Canada.
Don't be nervous here about your age, it's a helpful bunch of girls here. You'll even find a section in pregnancy forums for teen moms to be. Congrats!

Hi hun, first appts vary depending on UK or US and also different surgeries have different pathways. You will be probably be asked to provide urine and will then be booked into the hospital you have chosen to have the baby in. This is done by the MW, all medical history will be taken she will offer advice and you will have a chance to ask questions. She will arrange a dating scan which in UK is combined with a nuchal fold test aswell. This is to determine the chance of your baby being born with downs syndrome. Blood Amy be taken too.

Hope this helps xxxx

My first appointment was with my MW at 8 weeks, my GP didn't even bother with an appointment. Just gave me some forms to fill in that are passed on to the MW.

My first appointment with the MW was at my house, as this is my second and I have a toddler to chase after. She said it would be easier to do it from home (which it was!)

She asked me my medical history, my partners and family medical history. Asked about smoking, drinking, drugs etc. Asked about my previous birth etc. Filled in a million and one forms. That was it really!

Then at the second appointment she took a wee sample, measured my height and weight, did my BP and a few more forms. Booked my 12 week scan and some bloods. Then that was it.

Nothing scary, mostly form filling :)

Just thought I would add, when I first fell pregnant with my DD I was 18.

It can be a scary time, but you'll soon be overwhelmed by the people who love you and their support. I was shocked by how supportive my family and friends were. Even the MW I had, who delt mostly with the younger mums, was an absolute star!

All the girls on here are brilliant! And there is a teen pregnancy section too if you feel more comfortable talking to girls your own age and in similar situations. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->