17 mos and Still Going...

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by RJsMum, Jun 2, 2011.

1. RJsMum

RJsMum Mommy of RJ

...how will I know it's time to go ahead and stop?

As said in the title...DS is 17 mos and still gets BF 2x/day. 1x in the morning as soon as he gets up and 1x before bed. On days I work (I'm a supply teacher) he sometimes doesn't get the morning feed if we're in a rush to get out the door and there have even been a few times where he's missed a night feed from Mommy and got his cow's milk by Daddy if I was out with SIL.

During the day he takes water only from a sippy (and he does well with that) and then before his nap he will drain a 9oz bottle of cow's milk. He will sometimes get a top up of cow's milk before bed if he's signing for 'more milk please.'

A couple weeks ago I was bitten pretty hard. He still only has 7 teeth and although there were a handful of times before he turned a year that he drew blood, this time was so bad that I couldn't feed him on that breast for a couple days. It has since healed, but DH keeps suggesting that it's time to stop. My SIL has also made a comment that she is "surprised" I am still BF DS.

I don't have any issue with people who carry on past 12 mos, in fact, I had planned to stop at 12 mos, but then changed my mind and decided to at least carry on after his jabs. Now that he has had them all and I don't feel like my supply is what it used to be (with only feeding 1-2x/day) I wonder how I will "know" it's time to go ahead and stop?

2. CeriB

CeriB Well-Known Member

I guess LO will reduce and drop the feeds he has and then self wean? If he is doing it for comfort and you want to stop, how about dropping one of the 2 feeds and see how you get on?

Congrats for 17m!! That is an awesome achievement!!

3. teal

teal Well-Known Member

Well done for 17 months xx

4. cleckner04

cleckner04 Well-Known Member

I think it'll just happen naturally. Emma still feeds a good 8x a day so definitely not time yet for us but I'm already trying to think of ways to wean her down once she turns 2. I don't really want to still be BFing a 3 year old. It's my 'weird' age. Sounds like your LO wouldn't take it hard if you were to stop right now. But it's all up to you when to stop! :flower:

5. sez

sez Well-Known Member

Well done you on BF for so long :happydance:

6. kelly29

kelly29 Guest

omg 17 months that's quite an achievement:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance: well done!! :thumbup:x