19 weeks pg and need gym workout tips.

bernies

Reaction score
Hello ladies!

So i have always struggled with back fat... and now that i am pg i feel even more self conscious about it. I belong to 24 hour fitness and love using the incline treadmill but want to see if any of you mommies have any tips on what machines to focus on to help my back and torso weight... of course no belly fat weight loss in mind but don't want to waste my time doing the wrong things at the gym.. thanks for your time!

Basically, you can't lift anything above your head or lying flat on your back.

I do stuff like squats and lunges (with weights if you've used them before, otherwise just bodyweight), chest fly, seated row, bicep curls, tricep dips, and some very light core stability (try closing your eyes and then standing on one leg).

Never go above an effort level of about 6-7/10 and never let your heart rate go above about 140bpm.

My trainer told me that you shouldn't start radical new programs when you're pregnant though, just stick to stuff you're used to.

I have been using this book - https://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Fi...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321390317&sr=1-2

The moves are very simple and I already knew how to do them but I felt better having something tell me what I was doing was safe.

SWIM!!!! I think it's the best workout ever!!! Especially the bigger you get the more comfortable you will be while you work out. They should have some kind of water arobics or you can look on youtube...LOL for preggo workouts. I personally LOVE cycle classes at the gym though, and most gyms have them for free with a membership. I love the faces I get when I take off my jacket and my big belly pops out like, yeah, Imma be one hot momma. LOL Good luck and stay safe!

You can't just get rid of fat in one area, there's no such thing as spot reducing, it's an overall weight reduction.

But the other ladies are right, no heart rate over 140bpm, no overhead lifting, laying on your back. And don't start anything really new while you're pregnant, ie no starting to run and that sort of thing. You can start weightlifting as long as you don't go too hard. If you have any concerns just consult your doc about your workout program :)

Hi - I would just recommend lots of regular light exercise. Best bet at this point of your pregnancy is a controlled healthy diet rather that hitting the gym hard, go for complex carbs (which break down over a longer period). Hope that helps a little.

You can't just get rid of fat in one area, there's no such thing as spot reducing, it's an overall weight reduction.

But the other ladies are right, no heart rate over 140bpm, no overhead lifting, laying on your back. And don't start anything really new while you're pregnant, ie no starting to run and that sort of thing. You can start weightlifting as long as you don't go too hard. If you have any concerns just consult your doc about your workout program :)

This is true, you can't reduce fat in one area, but toning up the muscles will make a difference as the fat is more sucked in, and it will raise your metabolism so you shed fat all over.

I have been doing a kickboxing class (punching a bag on a pole, not people) and I love it. I get a cardio workout at the same time as some strength training. It's probably not the same amount of strength training you get from weights but after 3 minutes of punching I feel it in my arms. You also use your core a lot to kick.

for ALL your great advice! I have heard swimming is the best i will have to go shopping for a bathing suit.

I did ask my OB but they didn't give me much to work with.. so figured i'd ask other mommies.
Thanks again!

I have the same problem and also use the incline on the tread-mill to get my workout. But since I've started feeling a little off-balance, I've found just walking out to the nearest ASDA instead of taking the car and then carrying medium weight bags home is a good enough workout and is helping keep my back and backs of my legs toned (as can be under the circumstances!)

The 140 heart rate recommendation has been revoked. That is old information. There is no heart rate limit for pregnany women anymore. Research disproved it as having adverse affects on the fetus. So don't panic trying to keep your hr below 140. Feel free to google it. Some websites still give out the old info. A 2002 study from American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology changed the 140 recommendation.

The 140 heart rate recommendation has been revoked. That is old information. There is no heart rate limit for pregnany women anymore. Research disproved it as having adverse affects on the fetus. So don't panic trying to keep your hr below 140. Feel free to google it. Some websites still give out the old info. A 2002 study from American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology changed the 140 recommendation.

Yes, this is true. But lately, I get really tired at around 140 bpm anyway b/c it's been tougher for me to breathe. I guess my lungs are smooshed! So even though the "140 rule" has been revoked, I get too winded to go any higher. I used to do cardio for 45 min-1 hour with an average heart rate of about 150ish. No WAY could I do that now! I'm down to about 30 minutes of cardio with and average heart rate of about 135. Oh well, better than nothing...anything helps.

^^^Just had this exact conversation with my trainer today. I've been doing a cardio routine for a year now and keeping my heart rate under 140 now would be drastically cutting down my program. There's no reason why you have to keep it that low..the important thing is just to pay attention to how you feel. You know your body and what feels right.

i have this problem too i just posted my pic up and i hate my back fat :( im goin to swim like a fish til the end of pregnancy lol xx

I haven't been monitoring my heartrate while working out. If I feel like I can't breath I slow down - which seems to happen a lot more frequently lately.

I've been doing elliptical at the gym. It's non impact and has handles to hold onto if you feel wobbly. I would swim, but I don't want to buy a bathing suit to use for only 3 months. Sigh.

I also still muck out stalls and do random barn chores when I'm at the barn. (except the hay) The only thing I don't do is ride my horse, I don't have the balance to stay on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->