• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

My parent took me away in school time and honestly i found it incredible disruptive.

I have to agree with this fine system

Legally I can't see them being able to force people to pay these fines but even with the fine it will still often be cheaper to just take the child anyway. It's a badly thought out policy rushed in too quickly with not enough consultation with schools or parents. Rather like how the government want all schools to decide their own term times so parents with kids in different schools could end up with kids off at completely different times, even worse than it us at moment for patents of pupils at schools in different council areas.

Legally I can't see them being able to force people to pay these fines but even with the fine it will still often be cheaper to just take the child anyway. It's a badly thought out policy rushed in too quickly with not enough consultation with schools or parents.

I agree a fine is unlikely to deter parents. I priced up a holiday for next year, term time was £3k, out of term time was £6k .

Legally I can't see them being able to force people to pay these fines but even with the fine it will still often be cheaper to just take the child anyway. It's a badly thought out policy rushed in too quickly with not enough consultation with schools or parents. Rather like how the government want all schools to decide their own term times so parents with kids in different schools could end up with kids off at completely different times, even worse than it us at moment for patents of pupils at schools in different council areas.

They can take you to court, I don't doubt for one minute these will be enforceable. In my county its the council who will be giving the final decision. I do agree it should be on the say so of the school however and that its a piss poor thought out rule.

That said, I will not be taking Ellis out of school. I too remember that it was rather disruptive and hated catching up. I also believe that its unsettling for younger children, I know Ellis gets out of sorts if he's had a longer than normal absence from pre-school. There are still 16 odd weeks of the year he is not in school to do things as a family.

They can take you to court, I don't doubt for one minute these will be enforceable. In my county its the council who will be giving the final decision. I do agree it should be on the say so of the school however and that its a piss poor thought out rule.

That said, I will not be taking Ellis out of school. I too remember that it was rather disruptive and hated catching up. I also believe that its unsettling for younger children, I know Ellis gets out of sorts if he's had a longer than normal absence from pre-school. There are still 16 odd weeks of the year he is not in school to do things as a family.

Which is fine if the workers in the family can just pick when they have time off, my brothers both work for the royal mail and cant, my Mum is a nurse and cant, my Dad has had various jobs such as working in the army, working for London Underground and so on, and they all couldn't. It will make it impossible for some families to have family holidays.

Oh and of course as mentioned there is the cost during school holidays, some people just cant afford it.

I really didn't mean to cause such a difference in opinion :(

I see both sides, I really do.

Anyway - I've asked me cousin how its gone, and he said he doesn't think it's worth the hassle and will be leaving it. Though he will be politely mentioning to his ex in the future that he'd like to be told (not asked, but let know), especially if it falls during term time.

I assume this new law thing is England and wales only?

Which is fine if the workers in the family can just pick when they have time off, my brothers both work for the royal mail and cant, my Mum is a nurse and cant, my Dad has had various jobs such as working in the army, working for London Underground and so on, and they all couldn't. It will make it impossible for some families to have family holidays.

None of those jobs allow you take holiday during school holidays? Army i get yes, Or the Police if theres an event (olympics last year for example) Our postie regularly has 2 weeks in August where he goes to his holiday home in Lanzarote! No one can teally pick time off unless your self employed or own the company. I work in an office and we have to make sure there's ample cover, but its doable.

My husbands holidays are allocated. So no it's not generally doable for us

There is potential to swap with someone but the reality is no one who gets the kids summer holidays is willing to swap to something that isn't any use

None of those jobs allow you take holiday during school holidays? Army i get yes, Or the Police if theres an event (olympics last year for example) Our postie regularly has 2 weeks in August where he goes to his holiday home in Lanzarote! No one can teally pick time off unless your self employed or own the company. I work in an office and we have to make sure there's ample cover, but its doable.

The postie thing, is they are allocated time off. You can request certain weeks (like obviously not allowed to request Christmas) but everyone has to do their holiday requests at the beginning of the holiday year and people who have been there longer get it first, so last in and your stuffed and get what no one else wants or at least that is how it works for my brothers. London Underground is completely allocated.

My Dad who was a postman always managed to get some time off in the holidays although the Royal Mail has changed a lot since I was in school, my Dad was one of the longest serving post men having started at 16 so I think this helped. The only time we went away during school time was when we did our big trip to Florida when I was 14 before starting my GCSEs, although one week was over May half term. For my DH he has barely any say in his holidays, he technically has an annual leave entitlement but always gets it rejected because there is a job on, he hasn’t ever made one of my NHS scans in either pregnancy. However, he gets allotted leave and so far 9/10 it would actually be school holidays as they get Christmas, Easter and summer leave, but this will largely depend on the service/regiment you are in. The time I would expect leniency is when he goes on deployment, gets pre or post deployment leave as this could happen at any time but would be the only time the children would have seen him in months and you get bonus pay so is usually a good time for a holiday. It’s not been an issue for us so far, but I can imagine it arising in the future.

I think it should be the school’s discretion, I think they should be able to look at the child’s attendance and performance and decide case by case. I don’t think it should be allowed every year mind, for me it is something I would only do when really necessary. I find it far too controlling to be “illegal”.

My Dad who was a postman always managed to get some time off in the holidays although the Royal Mail has changed a lot since I was in school, my Dad was one of the longest serving post men having started at 16 so I think this helped. The only time we went away during school time was when we did our big trip to Florida when I was 14 before starting my GCSEs, although one week was over May half term. For my DH he has barely any say in his holidays, he technically has an annual leave entitlement but always gets it rejected because there is a job on, he hasn’t ever made one of my NHS scans in either pregnancy. However, he gets allotted leave and so far 9/10 it would actually be school holidays as they get Christmas, Easter and summer leave, but this will largely depend on the service/regiment you are in. The time I would expect leniency is when he goes on deployment, gets pre or post deployment leave as this could happen at any time but would be the only time the children would have seen him in months and you get bonus pay so is usually a good time for a holiday. It’s not been an issue for us so far, but I can imagine it arising in the future.

I think it should be the school’s discretion, I think they should be able to look at the child’s attendance and performance and decide case by case. I don’t think it should be allowed every year mind, for me it is something I would only do when really necessary. I find it far too controlling to be “illegal”.

Kids are allowed time off for pre deployment leave. It's one of the special circumstances x

I think they have to be strict and make it illegal because some schools/parents dont have the common sense to say no to a long holiday during a important time of year

I know that my stepdaughters school this year sent a letter stating that there would be no authorised absences allowed during school term unless under extraordinary circumstanes (ie death of close relative) and they would be investigating.

She could always ring them and tell them he's sick the day she leaves and presumably they'd not know any difference. I don't condone this but I can't imagine it will get done alot.

I think it's very unfair that she thinks is acceptable for her to take him abroad on holiday but won't let your cousin take him on holiday in the UK. They are both his parents! She sounds very selfish.

Kids are allowed time off for pre deployment leave. It's one of the special circumstances x

Ah thank you that's really good to know!x

I think they have to be strict and make it illegal because some schools/parents dont have the common sense to say no to a long holiday during a important time of year

I understand that but then it comes down to this "nannying" government, obviously children's interests are at heart which I totally get, but think it punishes too many for the actions of a few, I think instead of this blanket ban it should be more carefully thought out, perhaps certain year groups who are going through important exams etc should be banned, rather than everyone, what on earth did we do in year 7 lol, I think it's something the government should monitor schools doing, not parents. It just doesn't sit well with me, I find it too controlling.

My husband cant pick and choose annual leave. His shift pattern dictates when he gets days off. (4 days on, 4 days off, repeats that 7 times then he gets 17 days off). The 17 days off are his annual leave. This may coincide with holidays, it may not.

My daughter's school (she's in the nursery) is very strict on attendance. They can only apply penalty fines of £50 per parent per child once a child is 5 years old but they still apply the same procedure to 3 year olds - you must request permission to go on holiday, it will be declined unless there are extenuating circumstances etc. If your child is off sick for more than three days you have to provide evidence that they were seen by a doctor e.g. photocopy of prescription, appointment card (stupidly, if your child has D&V you HAVE to keep them off for a full 48 hours after they're better, so if they are sick for two days they have to be off for another two, meaning you need to see a doctor even though they're fine?!).

For children in nursery although they can't fine you, if the child is absent without a good reason for 10 consecutive sessions or attendance falls below 80% they may offer the place to another child.

My daughter's school (she's in the nursery) is very strict on attendance. They can only apply penalty fines of £50 per parent per child once a child is 5 years old but they still apply the same procedure to 3 year olds - you must request permission to go on holiday, it will be declined unless there are extenuating circumstances etc. If your child is off sick for more than three days you have to provide evidence that they were seen by a doctor e.g. photocopy of prescription, appointment card (stupidly, if your child has D&V you HAVE to keep them off for a full 48 hours after they're better, so if they are sick for two days they have to be off for another two, meaning you need to see a doctor even though they're fine?!).

For children in nursery although they can't fine you, if the child is absent without a good reason for 10 consecutive sessions or attendance falls below 80% they may offer the place to another child.

That's horrendous! That would make me mental, we will quite often take DS out if one of us has annual leave, or if we go home to visit family etc, numerous times a year, I am paying them to have my child they should be grateful for me not the other way around!! I see it as a service not any type of education, the fact it is educational is just a bonus, I understand from 3 it's pre school but end of the day it isn't compulsory?? I guess maybe to be fairer for children on a waiting list if it's a popular place but I still think it is cheeky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"