1st councilng session(not pregnancy related)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by tiggerlix, Dec 14, 2009.

1. tiggerlix

tiggerlix proud single mummy

just had my 1st counciling session.I dont know what to make of it,how the hell do i know the reasons for the way i am! anyway she said i needed alot more work and probably need refferring to the mental health care team!!!she stated she would only be working with me for a few more sessions then someone else would take over...wtf!!!!
    I never understood a thing about it.
    a part of me wished i never went!
    sorry just needed to rant as im even more mentaly confused now..arrrgh!
    anyone else had physicoligical therapy?
    i felt like telling her if i understood my own brain i wouldnt be here in the flippin 1st place.
    x

2. Janidog

Janidog Well-Known Member

I had six sessions at my gps surgery for counselling and it helped greatly, ok it doesn't solve everything but it has made me try to think about things in a different light. The biggest issue with counselling is if you don't get on with the counsellor, if you are finding that you are unsure of them then try another person until you feel comfortable with them.

Pm if you want someone to chat too :flower:

3. tiggerlix

well i had to fill these questionairs in,like grades of 1-6 or of what catogory a certain emotion fell into.I explained to her i was 7 weeks pregnant and couldnt tell the difference between my baby causing tiredness or my possible illness,again the same for tearfull ness and lack of chrores being done.she said dont worry just write how u feel now...arrrrgh!
    I said i hope u put that im early pregnant in the paperwork and that some symptoms are enhanced by the pregnancy.
    Iv never had thearpy before so slightly confused and anxious of what they expect.
    xxxx

4. EmmaM2

EmmaM2 new mummy

Hi tiggerlix - was it a counsellor you saw, a therapist or a psychologist? I am a clinical psychologist so can help with some questions if you have some. Unfortunately many of us are required to fill out questionnaires now as standard. They are quite generic and not that helpful in many cases - don't worry too much about them. As with your concerns with the session itself, the best idea is to tell her your worries and thoughts about it at your next session - if she isn't helpful and reassuring then she is not the right person for you! As for asking you your thoughts on what you are experiencing, this is likely to have been to just scope out any understandings you may have already, sometimes people have very set ideas as to why they are the way they are etc which is important but don't share them unless asked - it won't be because she is expecting you to have all the answers, she is probably just trying to get to know you. Try not to worry about what is expected of you, just be yourself, be honest and open about your worries, fears etc. Hope that helps.x

5. tiggerlix

Hi EmmaM2 thankyou for that..she is a psychological thearapist.Dont get me wrong she was lovely,but i didnt understand her questions or i didnt know what to say,as its very hard to explain it.I know and undersdtand i need some thearpy now as iv been on and off medication for many yrs so i do know we need to get to the route of it.I just got frightened when she said about bringing the mental health care team in.she understood some of the issues i had also what i have created in my own head as a safe haven,but i shant go into that on here.Im finding it all very hard to undersdtand myself and get very confused.I can only describe my mood swings but even then im not sure im doing it,its only what people have said or how they have reacted.I have highs and lows see,so its so very hard to understand.and neither the highs or lows are balanced.although now on medication im staying at 1 level.
    maybe its because this is all new to me and iv never had to express it before,im so used to living with it and it being part of my life.
    xx

6. EmmaM2

EmmaM2 new mummy

Well one thing i can assure you of is that you are most certainly not alone! Most people find the process daunting and confusing, and your therapist really should have explained better to you why she would be refering you to the mental health care team etc. Its ok to feel confused and find it hard to communicate what is going on for you, there are no right and wrong answers, just what you feel and think. Most of us don't really understand ourselves and that is what a therapist/counsellor/psychologist can help you with. I'm sorry it sounds like a less than ideal first experience, i hope it gets better for you. x