1st Doctor's app

Noodles

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
Do they do a blood test? and do you have to take your postive pregnancy test with you?

I think it depends. You don't need to take the test with you.
I just did a urine test to confirm I was pregnant then the doctor said the midwife will be in touch and that was that!

my docs just took my word for it that I was pregnant lol!! I didnt take anything or have urine done!

yeah mine just took my word for it but you have to take a urine sample when you see the midwife! at least thats how it works here, seeing the doctor here seemed a bit of a waste of time to be honest, but each trust seems to be different!

At my first midwife appointment I had a blood test then, also did another urine sample.

Eternal is right, each area seems to be different.

I didn't even see the doctor, proceeded straight to midwife. She didn't do a pg test they just took my word for it as most home tests are now as good as anything they might have. She took an arm full of blood and a sample of urine that was it. :)

How long before you have a midwife appointment?

No you do not have to bring a positive pregnancy test with you and the type of test they preform on you depends on your doctor. I had a urine test and that was it.

When I saw my doctor, she didnt take any bloods, my MW did that at my booking in appointment. The doctor took my blood pressure, weighed me and then said congratulations heh! I asked about a urine test and she said no, HPT are so good these days that if it says positive, then that's good enough for them! She then told me to go and book my MW appointment and that was the last time I saw her :)

How long before you have a midwife appointment?

Mine was at 5 weeks but my pregnancy is considered high risk as I am hypothyroid. As I understand it she squeazed me in ;) Usually around here its 8 weeks she'll see people at.

I had an appointment today but the midwife called to tell me she thought it was too early and she booked me in for 8 weeks. I am pretty narked at it as I have had my fair share of pregnany related problems in the past and my Doc was eager for me to get booked in.

The midwife said there was no point as I wouldn't even get a scan or anything til 12 weeks. I told her I was booked in for an early scan next week! and she just said (like she understood) 'oh ok' should we make it for the 11th May? THATS 8 WEEKS! :hissy:

Im pretty pi$$ed off to be honest - I thought that they were there for advice and support and Im basically fobbed off as they just think 'well lets wait and see if she miscarries first before we do the paperwork'. Support? Blah :hissy:

p.s. sorry for the rant!

My doc did a urine test and then gave me heaps of brochures to start reading through.

Angel, your midwife sounds very insensitive. Are you able to chose a different one?

Good luck at your first appointment Noodles!

every doctor and midwife seems to do it so differently. With my first last year I had 2 docs app then they arranged my midwife app. This time they wouldnt let me see the doc - they just booked me in wit the nurse to confirm a pregnancy test then sent me away and told me to contact the midwives myself!!! seems to very much depend on where you live i think. But generally - I find it tends to be urine sample on every visit and no bloods till 12 weeks xxx

For me, they did urine and a blood test. Then they brought me back a week later for more blood just to confirm the hCg levels. All I told her was that I had three positive tests and she tested me then and there.

Good luck!

Doc did nothing other than give basic advice and refer to midwife.
Got lots of info on healthy eating, pregnancy week by week and a bit about what happens now that implied midwife appt would be at 8-10 weeks, first scan at about 12.

Was a bit disappointed really given I'd waited 15 mins after my planned appointment time (I know they can't run exactly to time all the time but...) to basically get "congratulations, I'll refer you to a midwife" but never mind....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->