1st IVF - advice/support appreciated

LuLu_TTC

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Long story short. Hubby and I have been trying for over 2 years. 3/4 IUI's with no success. Now we have started IVF. 1 month of BC to regulate, 150iu/day follistem, 150iu/day menopur, few days of cetrotide, 10,000iu chorionic gonadotropin 36 hours before retrieval, plus baby aspirin/prenatal vitamins/etc led us to yesterday.

Had our retrieval yesterday (12/4). Much to my dismay and having 6-7 mature follicles, they only got 4 eggs. Phone call this morning informed us that only 2 of them fertilized. While I know it is "common" to lose close to half, it is also heartbreaking when I am perfectly healthy (never found any issues) to know that I may only get one shot at this (without another retrieval). Having a really rough day.

Anyone have a similar experience or any insight they can share? Pending what the 2 embyo's look like by day 5, we may have 2, 1, or zero to transfer. No idea what to think or how to feel at this point. Hubby always envisioned transferring two (he's okay with twins and knocking it out, me, not so sure) but what if we don't even have one left at the end of this week? Man, this is a tough journey.

Last edited:
The best thing is...w this being your first IVF cycle, they learn a LOT . That first cycle is almost like trial and error. Hopefully these two embies will be perfect and stick BUT if not, I would bet you'll see much better results in your next cycle . It took me 4 full rounds to get pregnant. But I had a beautiful, perfect baby,!! So it WILL happen!! I was pretty much unexplained as well. Borderline low amh but not enough that it should have been a problem. Ended up I had inflammation in my uterus caused by gluten . And I went gluten free and my very next round of ivf worked, AND I got pregnant spontaneously with my second baby, the first cycle we tried, while staying gluten free . So the fertility journey is a CRAZY ride. But I had much better egg numbers and quality when I supplemented with DHEA for three months before my cycle.. and then I did the microdose lupron flare protocol . It took me from 8 eggs in my first cycle to 17! Keep your head up!! It's a rough ride but one day it will all be behind you and you'll be proud of all you endured. Hugs!

Hey everyone,

Long story short. Hubby and I have been trying for over 2 years. 3/4 IUI's with no success. Now we have started IVF. 1 month of BC to regulate, 150iu/day follistem, 150iu/day menopur, few days of cetrotide, 10,000iu chorionic gonadotropin 36 hours before retrieval, plus baby aspirin/prenatal vitamins/etc led us to yesterday.

Had our retrieval yesterday (12/4). Much to my dismay and having 6-7 mature follicles, they only got 4 eggs. Phone call this morning informed us that only 2 of them fertilized. While I know it is "common" to lose close to half, it is also heartbreaking when I am perfectly healthy (never found any issues) to know that I may only get one shot at this (without another retrieval). Having a really rough day.

Anyone have a similar experience or any insight they can share? Pending what the 2 embyo's look like by day 5, we may have 2, 1, or zero to transfer. No idea what to think or how to feel at this point. Hubby always envisioned transferring two (he's okay with twins and knocking it out, me, not so sure) but what if we don't even have one left at the end of this week? Man, this is a tough journey.

Hi Lulu.

The journey certainly keeps you on your toes. Please don't be disheartened by the fact that you have 2...it really does only take 1. My first IVF ended with OHSS and hospitalisation before any transfer so we had our one embryo that made it to day 5 frozen. She is now a 16 month old happy and healthy toddler. Is there any updates on your embryos?

Good luck

The best thing is...w this being your first IVF cycle, they learn a LOT . That first cycle is almost like trial and error. Hopefully these two embies will be perfect and stick BUT if not, I would bet you'll see much better results in your next cycle . It took me 4 full rounds to get pregnant. But I had a beautiful, perfect baby,!! So it WILL happen!! I was pretty much unexplained as well. Borderline low amh but not enough that it should have been a problem. Ended up I had inflammation in my uterus caused by gluten . And I went gluten free and my very next round of ivf worked, AND I got pregnant spontaneously with my second baby, the first cycle we tried, while staying gluten free . So the fertility journey is a CRAZY ride. But I had much better egg numbers and quality when I supplemented with DHEA for three months before my cycle.. and then I did the microdose lupron flare protocol . It took me from 8 eggs in my first cycle to 17! Keep your head up!! It's a rough ride but one day it will all be behind you and you'll be proud of all you endured. Hugs!
Hi Lulu.

The journey certainly keeps you on your toes. Please don't be disheartened by the fact that you have 2...it really does only take 1. My first IVF ended with OHSS and hospitalisation before any transfer so we had our one embryo that made it to day 5 frozen. She is now a 16 month old happy and healthy toddler. Is there any updates on your embryos?

Good luck

Thank you both, ladies. The positive words, suggestions and hope really do help! I just received the phone call. Found out that both embryos have divided. 1 of them looks really good: at 8 cells and is considered a grade 1. The second one is a little behind (uneven) at 7 cells and is a grade 2. Based on the little I know, this seems like positive information! The toughest part will be deciding in 2 days (Sunday morning) if we will transfer 1 or 2. Is it worth the obvious risk to transfer 2...to ensure it might work the first time? Or do we just transfer the really good one and spend a bunch of money trying to freeze ONLY one that may not be perfect? I am not sure how to figure out the right answer to that.

Maybe when I have the update Sunday morning I will just, KNOW? Yikes. I have no idea!

Thank you both, ladies. The positive words, suggestions and hope really do help! I just received the phone call. Found out that both embryos have divided. 1 of them looks really good: at 8 cells and is considered a grade 1. The second one is a little behind (uneven) at 7 cells and is a grade 2. Based on the little I know, this seems like positive information! The toughest part will be deciding in 2 days (Sunday morning) if we will transfer 1 or 2. Is it worth the obvious risk to transfer 2...to ensure it might work the first time? Or do we just transfer the really good one and spend a bunch of money trying to freeze ONLY one that may not be perfect? I am not sure how to figure out the right answer to that.

Maybe when I have the update Sunday morning I will just, KNOW? Yikes. I have no idea!

What fantastic news!!

Good luck with your decision...only you can decide. It really does only take 1. They both sound like they are quite good quality. Thinking from my side...moving onto IVF 2 for number 2...you could also see is at freezing a sibling for another time if this is the route you decide to take. Though you are right that 2 could give you more of a chance...Good luck with your decision!

Whatever you do will be the best for you and I will be stalking this thread for updates! How are you feeling?

Hi @LuLu_TTC Would love you hear what you decide! Good luck!
I am starting my first IVF, starting the injections today, so retrieval wont be until early January.

What fantastic news!!

Good luck with your decision...only you can decide. It really does only take 1. They both sound like they are quite good quality. Thinking from my side...moving onto IVF 2 for number 2...you could also see is at freezing a sibling for another time if this is the route you decide to take. Though you are right that 2 could give you more of a chance...Good luck with your decision!

Whatever you do will be the best for you and I will be stalking this thread for updates! How are you feeling?

Goingforit: We had our transfer yesterday (Sunday) morning. It went smoothly. After long discussions and chatting with the doc the morning of, we decided to transfer both embryos. Big decision. But I think it was best for us, given our situation of only have 2. Fingers crossed. These next two weeks might just be torture!

Arriane: Congratulations on starting such a big step! I am sure you had a long journey to get there as well. Keep me posted on how things are going! As mentioned, we decided to transfer both. Honestly I think we were afraid that freezing "just one" that maybe wasn't a perfect embryo/blastocyst didn't seem like enough for us to set aside (although I know many people do that with just 1). We had always envisioned collecting closer to 10 upon retrieval and we assumed (naively) that we would have at least 2-4 to freeze for the future. Pretty big let down at the retrieval.

BUT all in all we are happy with this decision and are excited to find out literally right before Christmas if we are expecting or not! Talk about timing. It could be the most amazing Christmas ever....or not so much. Scary.

Lulu_ttc Amazing news!! Everything crossed for you. How are you feeling? Knew you'd make the right decision for you and can totally understand that decision.

Good luck Arianne :)

Thank you, Goingforit! I am feeling a little out of sorts, but not terrible. Estrogen pills have my breasts the size of melons (hubby doesn't mind) but they are incredibly tender! The progesterone in oil shots are certainly NOT my favorite and leave my butt pretty sore. I was pretty tired the last few days, but hopefully that picks back up here soon.

Other than that, just pretty anxious!

How are things going with preparing for your new IVF cycle?

Thank you, Goingforit! I am feeling a little out of sorts, but not terrible. Estrogen pills have my breasts the size of melons (hubby doesn't mind) but they are incredibly tender! The progesterone in oil shots are certainly NOT my favorite and leave my butt pretty sore. I was pretty tired the last few days, but hopefully that picks back up here soon.

Other than that, just pretty anxious!

How are things going with preparing for your new IVF cycle?

Had to chuckle to that! I know what you mean about the pessaries I am not sure they get any better but hopefully less painful!

Yes the drugs affect you in many ways! Not much longer to wait and hopefully you are keeping busy to pass the time.

I start tablets next week and then injections on 4th Jan. Meds being delivered on Tuesday. We are at a different clinic and it's so hard not comparing

Hope you can unwind somehow x

Hello ladies,

Today is officially 17 DPretrieval and 12 DPtransfer. I was told that it was too early to get my beta drawn and I should wait to do it Monday morning (Christmas Eve). 1. This seems forever away. 2. Being Christmas Eve I am doubtful I will get results and if I have to wait until after Christmas taking these progesterone shots for no reason, I may go crazy [-X

I am not feeling super confident. Been quite crampy the last few days, as if AF wants to appear at any moment. No real other noteable signs besides some dizzy/black-out spells, but I have had those on one other cycle and we obviously didn't conceive.

Considering taking a home HPT this morning, just to see. Then maybe going tomorrow morning to get my blood drawn for beta.

So many unknowns and I seem to have lost my optimism for this cycle :?

Just popping in to say I hope you got your bfp!! Ivf is a crazy ride . If you didn't get it this time, keep your head up for round 2. Every round is so different and if you keep at it, your chances are great for eventual sucesss!

Hey hun just read your post, reminded me of our IVF journey. I hope it’s good news xxx

Hello ladies,

Today is officially 17 DPretrieval and 12 DPtransfer. I was told that it was too early to get my beta drawn and I should wait to do it Monday morning (Christmas Eve). 1. This seems forever away. 2. Being Christmas Eve I am doubtful I will get results and if I have to wait until after Christmas taking these progesterone shots for no reason, I may go crazy [-X

I am not feeling super confident. Been quite crampy the last few days, as if AF wants to appear at any moment. No real other noteable signs besides some dizzy/black-out spells, but I have had those on one other cycle and we obviously didn't conceive.

Considering taking a home HPT this morning, just to see. Then maybe going tomorrow morning to get my blood drawn for beta.

So many unknowns and I seem to have lost my optimism for this cycle :?

I so would have tested...I am a bit of a pee on a stick addict...even after years of blanks :-/ Hope all went okay for you.

How are you now? It's such a tough journey emotionally xx

Hugs...I see your chart and I hope you are able to try IVF again soon and agree that the first time is trial and error. As costly and physically taxing as it is...praying your next attempt is the key to your rainbow baby.:hug:

I'm so sorry this round didn't work for you. IVF is so complicated.

I'm secondary unexplained infertility. Did IVF in 2016 and it was a whirlwind rollercoaster. They got 26 eggs, only 13 were mature, then only 7 fertilized, and over 2 days they all started dying and they did a transfer on day 3 with 3 fair-poor embryos. One made it and he's now a healthy 16mo. There was no explanation for what the hell happened. How did it get to that point when there were 26 eggs retrieved. Why did only 13 be found to be mature?

Its an awful experience to go through. I'm lucky it worked. But from what I've been told over and over again, it can take 2-3 rounds of IVF to find the perfect method that's right for your body.

I wish you the best. As lonely as this feels, you're not alone. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"