1st midwife appointment Qs

cliqmo

Reaction score
Hello :wave: I wonder if you can answer a quick question?

I had an appointment with the GP today as I only got around to registering with them this week (I have lived here 18mths :blush: ) As predicted she gave me some bumpf about pregnancy, took my BP and made sure I am taking folic acid, but did nothing else as she explained that they trust HPTs :happydance:

She then made me an appointment with the midwife next week (I will be 5wks + 6days by then) is this normal? What should I expect from the appointment? Eek how terrifying!! :D

Hi Hun I didnt want to read and run but im not sure! Im 3 weeks 6 days today and my midwife appt is booked for the 18th Feb so ill be about 7.5 by then! Ill be trailing you to see whats what lol xx FX everythings is good for you xx

Hi there, congrats on your pregnancy!

The first midwife appt takes about an hour, they take all your details, go through your family history and and book you into "the system". They will also answer any questions you may have and discuss any worries you may have. They'll give you some more bumpf (you will get a lot of that over the next 9 months!) and they may get you a dating scan date too (depends on your local nhs procedures).

I have my first midwife appt for this pregnancy on 8 Feb when I will be almost 10 weeks!

HTH x

Congrats!!!

Is it a booking appointment do you know?

A booking appointment lasts about 1 hour and it used to gather medical history from you and OH and explain about foods to eat and how to stay healthy in pregnancy.

It's a really good appointment and you will get loads of stuff and your pregnancy notes too.

If it's a scan then you need to go with a full bladder but you normally get a letter in the post about your scan unless dr thinks you need one early
xx

Id say its normal but i didnt have my first mw app until i was 14 weeks (i was VERY late getting booked in) :) I think they like to get you booked in so they can book a scan by the time your 12 weeks..
The midwife will probably go into more details with you..she'll have a book that she'll fill out with you with basic questions about family history, questions about you & partner ect
and probably give you a bounty pack
goodluck :flower:

I dont have the midwife until the 9th of feb gonna be coming on 9 weeks then I think.
Doc didnt do anything with me either. (Except tell me off about my weight)
I guess I wanted them to test something to make me feel more confident that there's a baby in there :shrug:

Whats bothering me is the midwife wants to come to my home?
That's soooooooo not convenient. DH will be working from home. I'll have to remove the dogs - they'll be excited for a brand new person for about half an hour, dont need that. So they need to go someplace else (I'm not leaving them outside for an hour or 2) and the appointment pack I got for some reason realllllly wound me up - I blame the hormones:haha:

anyway - all seems a bit odd, perhaps they should tell you (everyone) what happens next?

With my previous pregnancies the midwife came to my home, but dif rules for dif surgeries, I have my first appt on the 15th feb at almost 9 weeks, if you're 8 weeks+ then she'll take bloods, basically it's just loads of info being taken to make sure they can assist your pregnancy in whichever way is best for you :)

Oh yeah and blood tests too which I was not prepared for.

I cried and fainted :haha:

Take a sugary drink or choccy bar if you are a wimp like me
xx

Your kinda lucky.. as atleast at this early stage she can keep an eye on you and help you out with anything u are unsure of.

I met mine for the first time yesterday and I am 12+6. I was nervous. But she baasically gives you info if your a first time mummy (booklet etc), BP, blood tests (which I hate and was brave enough just to get on with it - at 2 attempts she couldnt even get any blood lol) an just weighs you and gives you tips on diet etc.
Also heard bubbas heartbeat - it was great - I got very teary lol.

Your be fine =)

Hi Cliqmo... I see you are in Dorset, i'm in Bournemouth! :) :)

I went to the docs when I was 4 weeks pregnant, the doc just trusted the HPT as well. I booked in with the MW and my appointment is when I am 8-9 weeks... I'm 6 weeks tomorrow :)

I went to the doc last week and they said they woul refer me to the midwife, not heard anything yet - I'll be 6 weeks tomorrow aswell

I have my first tomorrow. I'm about 9 weeks.

Do they take babies heartbeat or do i have to wait until my scan before I know for sure there is a baby in me?

Thank you all for the replies :D

I made the mistake of googling "5 week scan" and thoroughly freaked myself out! The GP mentioned nothing about a scan though, so I guess it is a regular appointment as you have all said :happydance:

Sleonie I am on Hants/Dorset border near Ringwood so not far at all!! We will have to meet up to compare bumps and notes down the line :thumbup:

I had my midwife appt on mon. It lasted about an hour and happened at my doctors surgery, she went through lots of info like the tests you'll have, when your appts will be, what you can and can't eat, antenatal care etc. She went through mine and hubby's medical history, but more mine. Checked my BMI and took blood for some tests, also checked my urine for protein. She gave me 'The pregnancy book' (I already have my bounty pack). She didn't check the heartbeat, I did ask but she said it's too early and they don't do it cos people get more upset when they can't find it, I think they check it at the 16 week appt. I had to book my scan myself with the hospital but she told me how to do it. Hubby came with me but after we left he was a bit like 'hmm, I didn't really need to be there did I'.

I hope that helps x :flower:

It does seem to vary between doctors surgeries and things. I made my appt with my midwife which is on 15th Feb so I guess I'll be 10 weeks. But she is coming to my house so not sure whether she'll do blood tests and things. From what I read it does seem to be mainly for getting all info about us and medical history before the scan.

Check this out from the nhs website, although there will be some differences in different parts of the country this tells you what should happen at you booking appt:

https://www.nhs.uk/planners/pregnancycareplanner/pages/Firstvisit.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"