1st MW appointment

NG09

Reaction score
What do they do at the 1st appointment??? :shrug:

think they go through every thing hun family history so you need to no about illness on ur's and oh's side.... they should do you blood works its usually a long appointment when is it hun xxx

Not sure if you are in the UK or not but at mine they did:
5 tubes of blood for various things including glucose, rubella antibodies, HIV antibodies, Hepatitis B 's' antigen, full blood count, blood group typing and rhesus typing. Can't remember what else! Also a urine sample which is sent for culture to see if there is an infection.

They give you loads of info including a form you can send off for free prescriptions and dental treatment etc. She asks about LMP etc and checks the nuchal scan booked. She weighed me did my height and blood pressure. She asked about family history of myself and my OH. She asked about my medical history (unremarkable) and if it is the first pregnancy. Finally she told me what not to eat and ask about alcohol, smoking, drugs etc, and if anyone in my household was hurting me or placing me at harm (which she showed me written on a piece of paper as my OH came to the appointment with me!). They also ask you loads of things about your social circumstances like housing and employment etc. It took about 45 minutes.

Thanks ladies. Sounds like a lot!!! Especially the blood bit, I'm hoping she only jags me once, I'll pass out! lol My OH is adopted so won't be able to tell her anything about his side but not much I can do about that. I have just moved surgeries so the nurse I'm seeing on Monday for my registration appointment should set it up I'd think, so nervous!!!

i have my scan on monday eeekkkk so nervous ha ha ... they will only take the bloods with one needle..... and just take a few tubes of it but the needle stays in whilst she swops the tubes so you'll be ok i think its the worst part of pregnancy lol xxx

Yep just one needle (as long as your vein doesn't collapse) and then they switch the vaccutainers at the other end of the tube, it's a lot faster than it sounds. I don't look as I hate needles but the OH felt a bit quesy watching the blood being drawn! I just remembered one of the blood tests is syphilis antibodies.

I had my first mw appt. the other day and it was just info and setting up my early scan and bloodwork for genetic testing. It was about 45 minutes long though...lots of info. When I go for my second appt. on January 7 I do medical history and a physical. I'm in Canada so this might be different than in the UK.

Thank, I feel a bit happier now. Not that being unhappy about it would make any difference. Just got to get on with it!! lol x

Hey hun....i had my first midwife app yesterday. Was in there for about half hour. Juts took my height & weight, blood pressure, took 5 tubes of blood, tested urine 4 diabetes, and just talked to me about some bits & peices...like when everything will be happening, and what happens next. You'll be fine!!! Good Luck! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"