1st scan - confused dates, hcg and large gest sac?

happy02

Reaction score
Hey all.

Had really bad pains on left so had hcg levels checked on Sunday and it was just under 6000. Had scan today to see what's goin on and based on whatever she was looking at I am only 5weeks???!!! Not too sure...

I got a very faint bfp at the beginning of sept, not even sure how that is possible.

She said my gestational sac was measuring 8.5mm, is this big for only 5 weeks?

She could see a yolk sac in it and some other 'things' which will probably become the baba... So have to go back a week thurs for scan to see how it goes.

Is there a chance this is a failed pregnancy? Missed miscarriage? Are those hcg levels high for 5 weeks? It's just with the gest sac measuring so big without a fetal pole being seen....

Oh my god stressing out!!! Can anyone shed some light on this? Or had a similar experience? Xxx

If you search the 1st tri boards there will be tons of posts with this same question. If you have time and want to see the various people's outcome I would recommend doing a search in 1st tri for 'HCG' or 'dating scan'

The short version though is it could be either outcome. You will probably be fine as the HCG level is in range with what they found on the scan and they were able to see various things on the scan (yolk sac, possible fetal pole), babies all develop differently even this early on.

The faint positive at the beginning of Sept could have been *very* early, as in a week post-ov (or approx. 3 weeks pregnant), in which case by today you would be approximately 5-6 weeks. Early measurements can be off substantially because a fraction of a mm makes a big difference.

Think positive and congratulations, you are pregnant! Your next scan will be here before you know it. :hugs:

Aaw lilfooshfoosh what a lovely, great reply. Thank u! Honestly that was nice to read xxx

When I have finished tidying and sit down I will have a good luck. I didn't do a search, thought it would b easier for people to just reply - lazy!

Tbh I wanted my bloods done again to see how they rise but they didn't and I didn't want to ask. Roll on next thurs!

Hope u and ur lil bean r doin ok xx

Hey all.

Had really bad pains on left so had hcg levels checked on Sunday and it was just under 6000. Had scan today to see what's goin on and based on whatever she was looking at I am only 5weeks???!!! Not too sure...

I got a very faint bfp at the beginning of sept, not even sure how that is possible.

She said my gestational sac was measuring 8.5mm, is this big for only 5 weeks?

She could see a yolk sac in it and some other 'things' which will probably become the baba... So have to go back a week thurs for scan to see how it goes.

Is there a chance this is a failed pregnancy? Missed miscarriage? Are those hcg levels high for 5 weeks? It's just with the gest sac measuring so big without a fetal pole being seen....

Oh my god stressing out!!! Can anyone shed some light on this? Or had a similar experience? Xxx

Hi, here is a chart to just get an idea of where your levels are with your scan date. You seem to be within normal range for 5weeks.. However, every woman can have different levels at any stage and still be just fine.

hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :

3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
13 – 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 – 254,000 mIU/ml
17 – 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 – 165,400 mIU/ml
25 – 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 – 117,000 mIU/ml
Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml
* These numbers are just a GUIDELINE– every woman’s level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters but rather the change in the level.

Oh my days they do vary so so much!!!! Wow! So u basically u do not know much from knowing ur hcg level....

Does the size of the gestational sac not matter? I didn't really have these questions until after I had left the hospital and had time to think about it all or I would have asked them

Thank u for the reply! I haven't told anyone yet as I want to know everything is ok first so I only have the other half to talk to. His answer to anythin is 'it will b fiiiine...' Bless him ha.

It's nice to talk xx

Gestational Sac size at this stage ranges from 5mm-13mm. Typically you do not see a true "crown" and "rump" before 18 mm. You sound like all is measuring fine. Really the only way to now for sure is to get another scan in a week to see if it's growing and have them check your HCG Levels to see if they have increased within the next 48 hours. If you do get your HCG levels re-checked and they didn't "double" but are rising, don't let that freak you out. Many woman have levels that rise, but do not double, etc.... its normal. :) Hope that helps!

Was it the mean sac diameter given? 8.4mm I think correlates to "about" 5 + 1.

Sources vary so wildly in information though that its hard to know! I would rather trust the person doing the scan than my googling skills.

Your hcg level is great for 5 weeks. What your ultrasound showed was exactly what my RE tells me should be seen at that time. A sac, yolk sac, and maybe a blob. Its not until 5.5-6 weeks that you should clearly see a fetal pole. This is my second pregnancy and that's what my first ultrasounds showed with both. Plus- my hcg was only 2900 at 5 weeks 5 days!! Congrats! Everything's good!

Thanks ladies!! I hate waiting. I am going to go to bed early and keep really busy so the next week just flies over. This waiting is terrible.

I wish someone or u guys or google 'knew' an could tell me.

Thanks again!! I seem to freak out then after loads of unnecessary stupid reading I think forget it an just wait. 7 days and counting....

Do u think the shape of the sac actually matters? I wish I could get the bloods done again. Do u think I could just ring them and ask?!

Not sure if this matters but I have an anteverted uterus x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->