1ST Step-Blood tests- what everyones experience of these?

KARMA2011

Reaction score
Ok well January will make it my 15 month TTC I visited my Gp after a year of BFN and she suggested I wait until the 18 month mark as myself and DH are healthy before running any tests. Well like most of you know thats like asking someone to watch paint dry so I went back this week and insisted that she run some tests so DH has to give a sample and I had LOTS of blood taken today- problem is I dont know what this means? what tests they are running or what exactly these results will conclude- Please can someone fill me in on what the normal procedure is after having your first round of bloods done- please.xxx

hi hun.

I'm also on the process of getting some blood tests.
So far I've had a blood test for Rubella and progesterone.
Then I'm scheduled to have more blood work for FSH, LH, E2 and Prolactin.

I went to GP yesterday and she is going to get my blood done and test that i'm ovulating so have to wait another week to get it done and then she said we'll just test for everything while we're doing it just to make sure everything else is ok and then she'll take it from there! x

Its just bizarre- she made me wait until I reached 7 days before AF but the nurse took it -around 4 bottles but I have no idea what tests they are running and what exactly this would tell me. Worst still have to wait 10 days for the results!! Will keep you posted.xxx

is it your cd21 bloods? they'll be testing your hormone levels, i don't know which hormones but my nurse mentioned the day 21 tests to me yesterday when i had my first set of blood tests - i got checked for anaemia, folate levels, size and shape of red blood cells, thyroid function etc. so she said if i haven't conceived in 5months i'll go straight in for the day 21 bloods for hormone levels and DH would have to have is SA.. so sounds like the same thing?

EDIT: Found this - it's progesterone check to see if your ovulating:

Progesterone Test: This will check if ovulation has taken place. It should be taken 7 days before a period, so for a 28-day cycle it is done on day 21. If a period doesn't come 6-8 days after the test, then it will need to be repeated. A level of 30 nmol/l or more suggests ovulation has occurred.

Thanks so much everyone - Nai 1983 yes its my cd 21, which would fit right in with what you have said as I had to have them 7 days before AF -DH is to have SA on Thu- what I was also wondering is that the results dont come back for 10 days!!!!! oh the joy of National health service!! and seeing as AF is due 4 days before results would they pick up in my bloods if I was already pregnant? or would they have to specfically test for that? xxxx

i guess it depends how much blood they took? i doubt they run the tests on the same tube of blood - i had 6 tubes taken on friday - one for each test - even though i thought (in my own little head lol) that some of the tests sounded similar so could have been done with the same blood :rofl:

:haha: I was thinking the exact same thing- I told DH when you see them analysing blood samples on tv they use the tiniest amount and I cant understand why on earth they would need sooo much blood just to take such a tiny sample- after 6 bottles you would think they could run no end of tests but I think youre probably right they will only test what they are supposed to. Let me know how you get off with your results.xx

Hi

I'm due to have blood test later this cycle, 7 days before AF due which is likely to be around CD23/24 for me as I usually have 30/31 day cycle. Been ttc for 12 months now. Doc has put on my blood form that it is to test for progesterone to check for ovulation and to check my thyroid levels. Don't know if I'll have anything else checked after that.

OH to have SA soon too for waiting for confirmation from docs as to where he has to go for this x

:haha: I was thinking the exact same thing- I told DH when you see them analysing blood samples on tv they use the tiniest amount and I cant understand why on earth they would need sooo much blood just to take such a tiny sample- after 6 bottles you would think they could run no end of tests but I think youre probably right they will only test what they are supposed to. Let me know how you get off with your results.xx

yeah no worries hun, expecting them in on friday, fx nothing bad found!! lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->