1st trimester midwife/doctors appointments??

redrachel22

Reaction score
Hi Ladies, just wanted to know your experience with the whole first trimester/doctors appointment thing.

I found out i was pregnant a couple of weeks ago, i called my GP and went to see her a couple of days later. She basically did nothing and said i needed to make a appointment with the midwife.

I went to the front desk and made the appointment for this Thursday (i will be 7 weeks). She gave me some leaflets etc to take home and read.

I had a look through and it said your appointment with the midwife should be after you are 8 weeks, so i called the docs today and they said Thursday was a bit early so i needed to rearrange. The midwife only does Thursday morning appointments and shes on holiday for a couple of weeks so the next appointment i could get was for when i am 11 weeks gone.

Now i dont know if its me being stupid but i thought i should be having blood tests etc before then and then my first scan at 12 weeks, if im seeing her for the first time at 11 weeks i imagine my scan wont happen immediately after that so i might be waiting until 13-14 weeks.

I was wanting to wait til my 12 week scan to tell everyone but i dont think i'll be able to hide it. My boobs are already enormous and i feel so bloated and big already, i think i'll be probably starting to show by then. I dont want my family & friends to guess. Its also hard avoiding them as i work in a family business!!

Just wondered what timescale anyone else had during their 1st trimester?

thry should have let you keep the appointment at 7 weeks ring them back and tell them you want that a week is not a big deal. as normally you don't get scan dates till you have been booked with the MW as they request the scan so you could have a long wait. explain tomorrow when you call that you will be 11 weeks by the time you see someone and so want the one you already had x

My first appointment with LO was 8 weeks and I'll be over 9 weeks for this one. 11 weeks does seem quite late... I'd give the surgery a ring and check they can squeeze you in before!

My first appt isn't until 10w as my surgery didn't have any free slots before. My 2nd mw appt is at 11w (5 days later) and they've said I'll get my scan at 12w as there isn't a big waiting list for them & ill be really annoyed if that's not the case. I am annoyed anyway as I'd like my first appt sooner rather than later but the receptionist was rather unhelpful!

I know what you mean, they aren't helpful at my surgery. I told her I'd be 11 weeks by then and she went and checked with a colleague and came back and said it's fine, the first appointment could be up to 12 weeks, I asked if I could keep the 7 week one and she said no it was too early.
It's only a small village surgery and it's a right pain only been able to go on a Thursday morning, it's so hard getting out of work too, I think I'm gonna have to come clean before then.

Also, does the midwife do the blood tests etc or do u need another appointment with the gp for that?

This is my second baby, and my first midwife appointment is when im 12 weeks :( so my 12 week scan will be like 14 weeks :( xx

Im booked for next week ill only be 6weeks ish? Im classed as 'high risk' and will need to go to EPU soon after but it was just the receptionist who booked me in, the midwife may have something to say about being too soon but shall just see what happens

Id def insist on your initial slot if it is going to be so long til the next one xx

Update: I got home yesterday and had a message from the midwide who said it was too late and she has booked me in for Tuesday 21st, i'll be 8w 5d.

Funny how she got me a Tuesday appointment but the "helpful" receptionists said i could only go on a Thursday!!

It does depend. When I saw my doc for the first time at 8wks he faxed a form off to my hospital of choice who then let me know seperately regarding my booking appt/scan.
I also had to make an appt with my surgery mw in addition and I saw her at 11wks (about a week before this I got a letter from the hospital with my booking/scan dates on)
So if you've stated where you want to give birth to your doc, theres every chance the surgery has already put the wheels in motion and you'll get scan date soon. I'd ring and double check though xx

Also, does the midwife do the blood tests etc or do u need another appointment with the gp for that?

sorry forgot to say: usually bloods are done at booking appt however mine will be done on day of 12wk scan - don't know why lol

Where I am, it was pretty straightforward - you go to the docs then they give you the number for the midwife and you phone and making your booking in appointment (around 8 weeks) and you dating scan ( around 12 weeks).

I phoned when I was just past 6 weeks and had no problems booking. The letter came through confirming the appointments 2 days later. I just had my booking in appointment - the midwife takes lots of info from yourself and your OH and bloods for various things and a urine sample.

I'd get back in touch and see if you can be seen earlier through I think the booking in appointment can be done from 8-11 weeks and the dating from 11-15 weeks. Good luck x

My first midwife appointment was when I was 7 and a half weeks, the over 8 weeks thing isn't set in stone as far as I know. Though every area has their own rules I guess! x

I have my first midwife appointment when I'll be 7 weeks exactly. I saw my GP at 4+3 and he gave me my maternity folder. This has a timeline which says for the first trimester:
6-8 weeks - first MW app
10 weeks - booking app (bloods etc)
11-13+6 - NT scan

But I think each area across the UK is completely different. And although the timeline says this, I havent got any other appointments booked until I see the midwife

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->