1st Ultrasound: Should I go with a full bladder?

sandy mom

Reaction score
I'm 7 weeks pregnant and have my first ultrasound scheduled for Wednesday. Should I go in with a full bladder or is it not necessary? I will be around 7w4d on Wednesday and I'm hoping it will be abdominal US.

This is my first ever ultrasound so I'm confused. The doctor's office hasn't told me anything about full bladder.

My midwife told me that under 12 weeks it's much easier to have a full bladder as it helps them differentiate it from your uterus.

And if you go in there and they say it's not necessary, they'll have a toilet you can pee in! It'll be harder to start glugging water to fill yourself up if you don't go with a full bladder and have to get one quick!

If you want a definitive answer, you could always call and ask...

Where I'm at, it's standard practice to do early ultrasounds via a transvaginal ultrasound machine, so bladder fullness doesn't matter (as in, having a full one is not advantageous). Later on, when they switch to the noninvasive type, that's when a full bladder can help.

I’ve only had transvaginal (8 weeks today, last scan was 6+4) and they told me to empty my bladder as a full one can get in the way and make it harder to see.

Could possibly be a personal preference to the doctor, based on their equipment and whatnot?

My ob office doesn't do a full bladder at 7 to 8 week scan. They do at the 20 week scan though.

The first scan they did transvaginal though.

I would just call and confirm with them

Having a trans vag will make you feel like peeing anyway. Go pee first.

Ok so from what I understand this is how it works:

At your gestation they may try an abdominal US first, in which case it is essential you have a full bladder. This will push your uterus up high enough for the technician to see the baby.

If the clinic does a transvaginal ultrasound, they need your bladder to be completely empty in order to see the baby.

My guess is if they haven't requested you have a full bladder, they're planning on a transvaginal. However if you'd prefer an abdominal US, fill your bladder completely (they recommend 2 liters of water 2 hours before your appointment), and then if they tell you you're getting a transvaginal you can always empty your bladder before they start. But basically you can always empty your bladder - it's a little harder to fill it back up! You can also always call and ask, they'll be able to tell you for sure.

Standard practice here to do transvaginal ultrasounds at early stages of pregnancy. You dont need a full bladder. I thought i did and i sat in agony while the OB ran late. Only to be told by OB i can go pee first. I was like GET OUT OF MY WAY!!

After my spotting at 7 weeks, they did a regular echography and I was told to come in with a full bladder. Nearly peed myself on that table!

Ah thanks so much ladies for the clarification!!
I actually called the doctors office to ask and the receptionist said I don’t need a full bladder. So I’m guessing it would be trans vaginal. However like many of you suggested, I’ll go in with a full bladder just in case. I can always pee if they want an empty one.

I’m so so nervous for tomorrow and can’t wait for everything to go fine.

It'll be great! Think positive <3 Keep us posted, please! :)

Ah thanks so much ladies for the clarification!!
I actually called the doctors office to ask and the receptionist said I don’t need a full bladder. So I’m guessing it would be trans vaginal. However like many of you suggested, I’ll go in with a full bladder just in case. I can always pee if they want an empty one.

I’m so so nervous for tomorrow and can’t wait for everything to go fine.

I really think you're making yourself needlessly uncomfortable. They always ask me to pee before the trans-vag, and it's too early to do the other kind of scan.

Hope your scan goes great!

Best of luck! Look forward to hearing how it went!

I won't be able to have a full bladder. They will want a urine sample prior to it. Mine is next Friday at 8+1.

My first appointment went great :) I thankfully had enough water as they asked me to give a urine sample. My ultrasound was vaginal. We saw and heard the heart beat. I haven&#8217;t stopped smiling since then :)

Awww congrats momma! U see, now you can relax a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->