2 month old - constantly sucking fist

TTC LADY

Reaction score
Over the last few days everytime I look at Rohan he has his fist in his mouth. I know it's not a hunger sign as he even does it after a full feed.

Anyone else LO do this and what does it mean ?,or is it just a comfort thing

Daisy used to do this all the time when she was really little. I think lots of babies do it. x

Isabelle just started this in the last two weeks as well! I think it's just a comfort thing, maybe precursor to thumb sucking?

It's normal at this point. It means he's discovering his hands. When they're little, they only really know that their mouths are part of them. Eventually they start to find their hands which then go in the mouth so they can explore them as they mostly experience the world via their mouths. It's why eventually toys, feet, random stuff they find all goes in the mouth. They aren't trying to eat it necessarily, just to touch and learn about it. It usually starts around 2-3 months. Eventually he may start really chewing them rather than sucking, which is a sign of teething.

^ wss My guy did this before he learned to just suck his thumb

My daughter has been doing this for maybe a month or so. Totally normal.

Must be something they start doing at this age then as Beau has been doing it all week. When people see her doing it they go 'aww she must be hungry' which is slightly fustraiting because I know she isn't.

Makes me laugh though as it will start with her hand then she moves up her arm. Bless.

Your baby is developing normally. Now their hand movements are transitioning from reflexes to controlled, thoughtful movements. It's quite amazing to watch them slowly gain control of their body. Soon they will reach for things, then grasp them, then hold them for awhile, then put them to mouth, then grab with two hands, then pass things from one hand to the other...

Aside from hunger there is an assortment of reasons why an infant sucks on their hands. One is teething, you may also notice they are biting/sucking on other objects when teething takes place. Second, is for comfort. Babies are born with an innate need to suck on anything that comes close to their face or lips. Some babies do it to calm down or because it makes them feel safe. Third, is for exploration. Your LO may of found his hands and realized he can do more with them.

Just wait until he discovers his toes. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"