2 month old routine?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by BabyBubbles, Nov 20, 2011.

1. BabyBubbles

BabyBubbles Expecting number 2!

Hi ladies,

just wondering what sort of routines people have in place with their 2 month olds? I have no nap routine or anything, just been playing it by ear but ive noticed he's starting to get overtired and fussy so maybe need to force naps on him! He doesnt sttn, waking every 2-3 hours and we generally go to bed between 9 and 10, bath,bum,boob and bed and generally self settles (which im so thankful for at least!!)

What does everyone else do?

2. Tanikins

Tanikins mum to 1

I have no routine for my lb - we just go with the flow! If hes hungry he rats if hes tired he sleeps!!

3. canadabear

canadabear Well-Known Member

We didn't really plan out a routine as such. The only thing we have tried to do from day one is to feed as much as possible during the day time. It does help, though it was really hard at first as he just wanted to sleep so much during the day. It was making night times really hard for us as he was awake every 2 hours or less!
    Now.. he has started getting himself on a routine! Talk about surprise! :haha:
    We started to do a bath and bedtime 'routine' about 3 weeks ago now.
    Not with the intention of actually getting him to go to sleep, but just to get a night time routine started for when he gets older.
    But... it really surprised us because now he is going to sleep around 8:15 - 8:45pm. And in the last 2 weeks he has been sleeping until 3:30am-4:30am!! Wakes for a feed and then asleep until somewhere between 7-8am.
    Our night time routine basically follows this timeline, give or take 15mins for the times:
    6:30pm - bath time
    6:40pm - naked kicking time on a towel. helps him to work off any energy and airs his bottom well before night nappy time.
    7-8pm - cluster feeding (we are BF)
    8-8:30pm - settling in a dark/dim room, holding him until he gets really tired, sometimes a little more feed, then into bed.

Sometimes between 8:30-9pm he will wake and cry, but usually he just needs a quick winding and falls right back to sleep.

I think it is nice to have a night time routine, even if it doesn't mean going to sleep right away, but it can help to make a difference between day and night. We make sure the lights are dim, no loud noices and no play time. Cuddles, warmth and quiet. And a bath time. I think this is what has helped him to fall into a sleep pattern on his own.
    It might not work for every family or every baby, but it has worked for us.

4. canadabear

canadabear Well-Known Member

OH!! I would also mention that we always have difficult nights on the days when he doesn't nap well! Daytime napping has and continues to be the hardest thing for him and us to be consistant with. :dohh:
    But now that nighttime is working so well.. we are trying to get him to sleep for 2 longer periods of time during the day.. slowly.. :haha:

5. LittleBoo

LittleBoo Intactivist Mummy!

Only thing we keep consistant is wake up time (7am) and bathtime (6pm) then straight to the bedroom for a bedtime bottle and he settles himself fine. The past week he's slept 12 hours through the night with no night wakings, except once where he woke at 3am then 5am, still, i'm not complaining :haha:

As for naps/feed routines, we just go with the flow. If he's tired he sleeps, if he's hungry he eats! xx

6. bobbyrabbit

bobbyrabbit Mum to 1 gorgeous girl

We started a kind of bedtime routine a couple of weeks ago just to get her to associate bath with bedtime. We do bath at 7pm (sometimes a massage first) then feed her with some lullabies playing. This feed starts at about 7.30 and it can be 9 by the time she's asleep as she is bf and she feeds a bit, drops off, wakes up and bf a bit more etc. She usually falls asleep in my arms and we put her to bed when she seems like she's in a really deep sleep. It has helped with getting her to sleep around the same time each night but she still wakes a lot in the night.

In the day we have no real routine, she usually wants to feed every 2.5 to 3.5 hours and generally only stays awake for 2 hours at a time. Sometimes she'll sleep for 30 mins sometimes 2 hours. I try to makr sure she naps around 4 or 5 as otherwise she won't make it to bath time!