2 questions - infacol and belly button

staycutee

mummy
Reaction score
1 - im not sure whether he has colic or not but he does seem to go red in the face and i cant really calm him, usually in the evening. however i dont KNOW for sure whether that is colic or just general baby crying. is it unsafe to give him infacol if he doesnt actually have it??

2 - his belly button thing still hasnt dropped off (he is 11 days old) but today when i changed him i noticed it smells a bit. what do i do? i havent been doing anything to it my mw told me to just leave it.
also when it drops off, what do i need to do? just clean with warm water? i read somewhere that you need to rub with alcohol :shrug:

Does he bring his legs up to his tummy when he cries? That can be a sign of painful wind. I don't think the infacol would do any harm and it does sound like wind pains anyway. Re the bellybutton, my midwife said just warm water (boiled) to clean don't think alcohol is used anymore.

yeah he brings them up to his chest but also at times like goes quite rigid and arches his back? i guess ill give it a try x

infacol can be used from birth I think. I found it really helped Billie bring up some nice big burps! I wouldn't say it cured colic but I think it does help to lessen the gas pains.

Billie was also reluctant to lose her cord stump. The midwife said she's never know one to stay on for so long! (I can't quite remember exactly how long it was but I'm thinking it was over 2 weeks!) I was attached by a flap of skin for ages and really stunk! We just tried to keep it as clean as possible (baths helped soften the scab) until it did eventually fall off. Then OH was making jokes about eating it and sneaking it into a packet of crisps in the pub - :sick: yuk!

oh i didnt even know i could bathe him (thought i had to wait till it was off!) i have just been top and tailing him but think i will give him a bath instead now, thanks xx

We just did quickish baths so it wasn't soaking for too long but enough to just soften it a little. I found it fascinating to see my LO's belly button for the first time! x

I'd probably advise not getting it wet as it needs to dry out to fall off. (Plus making it wet will only make the smell worse, it's actually dry rot/gangrene)

Sounds too familiar! When LO was first born he would cry all the time with wind. I felt so sorry for the little man! We used infacol which seemed to help a bit plus he loved the taste :) We started winding him before feeding as well to get rid of the build up from all the crying! We were advised by the MV to wind him a couple of times during bottles but he would scream blue murder until he got it back!

With the cord I wouldn't know cause Jayden's fell off when he was 4 days! After it fell off we just carried on wiping his belly button with clean warm water everytime we changed his nappy. It smelt gross!

xxx

I'd probably advise not getting it wet as it needs to dry out to fall off. (Plus making it wet will only make the smell worse, it's actually dry rot/gangrene)

I can see your point but my midwife said it was fine. They bath newborns at the hospital aswell don't they? :shrug:

I can see your point but my midwife said it was fine. They bath newborns at the hospital aswell don't they? :shrug:

My mw has just been and she said it was fine to bathe him :) and that I shoudl clean his belly button with warm water because of the smell! ew it isnt nice

dont know about the colic but the belly button thing my LOs fell off on day 18 and his got a smell to it on day 17 and someone on here told me that it will smell just before falling off so it will probably be off real soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"