2 week old BF every 1.5-2hrs

MrsXYZ

Reaction score
My 2 week old is feeding for 5 mins every 1.5-2 hrs. I've tried getting him to take longer feeds, and changing his bum after 5 mins and offering it again but he's not interested. Every now and again he will take a 10 min feed, but thats pretty rare. Any ideas how I can get him to take longer feeds so that he can push 3 hourly gaps?!

Honestly, newborns are suppose to feed like this. It's called cluster feeding. It's to help build your supply. Nursing between 10-12 times in 24 hrs is normal and nessasary. My 9 month old doesn't even go 3 hours, lol. :flower:

wss ^ totally normal until your supply starts to settle at around six weeks.

My LO was fedding every 2 hours till he was about 8 weeks

Yeah this was how it was for me too, it establishes your supply. It's tough going but come 6-8 weeks it gets better x

It's normal Hun, is he putting on weight and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies? Than it's fine. My LO still feeds every 2hrs sometimes.

As others have said, perfectly normal, mine is feeding 10mins every 1.5 to 2hrs. Just be thankful your LO feeds so quickly, some of the ladies have LOs that feed for 1hr every 1.5hrs so only get 20-30min break in between each feed!

TBH I would have killed for that when LO was 2 weeks lol! It was ALL DAY LONG for us

I'm afraid 3 hourly gaps are based on FF babies; some BF babies do go 3 hourly, my youngest always did (aside from cluster feeding at night) but others feed every 1.5 to 2 hours in the early days, its because breastmilk is so easy for them to digest and its totally normal. In many other societies; mums intrinsically BF their babies up to 4 times an hour but they tend to have shorter feeds-they'd find the thought of a 2, 3 or even 4 hour gap between feeds quite odd! You have to think about yourself; especially when its warm due to the weather or central heating, do you space all your drinks and meals out to exactly 3 hourly? xx

Its completely normal! :flower: Breast milk digests a lot quicker than formula and their stomachs are soo teeny they need filling really often! My LO settled about 8weeks-ish :)

Blimey Evan didn't feed for 10 mins till he was 6 months old!!! He fed 45mins-1 hr out of every 2 hrs...... What ever pattern they choose is normal for tem though.

Awful but normal hun.

It could be worse, Isobel would feed for 45 mins to an hour, then a 15-30 min break and back on again.

Remember this though.... IT DOES GET BETTER :)

Its normal, actually 1.5-2 hours for a breastfed newborn is rather brilliant!
My LO was FF and going 1.5 hours was a struggle :rofl:
He didn't start doing 3 hour gaps until 5 months old

I'm afraid 3 hourly gaps are based on FF babies; some BF babies do go 3 hourly, my youngest always did (aside from cluster feeding at night) but others feed every 1.5 to 2 hours in the early days, its because breastmilk is so easy for them to digest and its totally normal. In many other societies; mums intrinsically BF their babies up to 4 times an hour but they tend to have shorter feeds-they'd find the thought of a 2, 3 or even 4 hour gap between feeds quite odd! You have to think about yourself; especially when its warm due to the weather or central heating, do you space all your drinks and meals out to exactly 3 hourly? xx

I completely agree. It's not too often that my almost 6-month old goes for 3 hours between feedings (maybe only at night). He's hungry every couple of hours.

My LO was pretty much attached to my boob for his first 2 months of life. Seriously. Hang in there, you're doing great!!

My 12 week old still nurses this way. Also my last dd nursed that often until at least 7-8 months.It sounds horrid but after the first couple months you truly do get used to it and it won't bother you anymore. Many do go longer between nursings at an earlier age than my kids though. But 2-3 hrs is usually the max amount of time until your baby is eating a good amount of solids

Sophie used to feed for an hour at least at that age. And then again half an hour later!
You're really quite lucky ;).

At around 4 months she'd finally started feeding shorter. Now she feeds for about 10 minutes every 1.5-3 hours.

What the others have said I'm afraid :flower: My 10 week old nurses about every 2 hours in the day but for 20-30 mins! Do you wind LO before trying him back on, this helped my LO go for longer :thumbup:

Thanks ladies for all your replies - LO is putting on weight fine, so guess just got to carry on with regular feeds and be greatful he's not feeding for much longer periods!

My nearly 5 month old (was 11 weeks early) now feeds every 4-5 hours generally (few occassions its less)... for 1 hour each feed. I probably feed him for 6-7 sometimes 8 hours a day....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"