2 year old suddenly upset at bedtime

roxie78

Mom of 2
Reaction score
Thomas used to go to bed really easily, after we'd looked at some books we'd put him in his sleeping bag in his cot bed, say goodnight to him, turn the light off and close the door. He'd be fine, no tears, not upset or anything.

However for the past few weeks we put him in his cot bed he has been fine up until we leave the room and close the door. He is hysterical, crying, standing up in his cot, pulling the bars, screaming etc. It goes on for ages. If we go in to see him, as soon as we go in he stops crying but starts again when we go out again!

Just wondering why this has suddenly started??? Any tips/ ideas? He is 26 months. We are hoping to move him to a toddler bed in a few months in a new bedroom but wanted to sort this issue out first cos i know swapping to a toddler bed will present issues of its own!

Emma suddenly started this about 3 weeks ago. And MIL made it worse by sitting with her a few nights till she fell asleep. I am not even sure WHY it was suddenly an issue for her, but the main focus of her attention was her daddy - she wanted him and only him, and if allowed to was awake till 10pm.
So far the only solution we have found was to take away her day time sleep, and so she is up at 7am and in bed by 7pm roughly, and it is a case of lights out almost instantly - sometimes in your arms as you take her to bed.
But I see you have said he is 26months, so I presume there is no day time sleep?

The only other thing I can liken with is that the reason Emma now has 1 side off her cot is because she started to go postal when in her cot, but just taking the side off and leaving the bedroom door open a slit seemed to help then. But yes, she does get out of bed and come and see us some nights.

We have the same problem, normally only one night a week but it's been every night for the last week or so.
He never took milk to bed and we've tried that but that doesnt help, last night was night light and he chucked it down the stairs so it doesnt work!

thanks for the replies! He only really has a daytime nap if he is at nursery now as he just screams like he does at night if we try and give him a daytime nap at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->