22 Month old still barely saying anything :(

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by danniemum2be, Nov 15, 2011.

1. danniemum2be

danniemum2be ♥️

its really getting me down now trying to get her to talk.
    the only words she says are, Dad, yes, tar, yak, this, iya and tra

at her last HV appointment in august i mentioned it to her and she said she'd put her in for the speech play class which was starting in september, but it was fully booked up and the next ones not till january. and she will be 2 by then. anyone else's 22 month old still barely talking. all my mummy friends with LOs similar age seem to be starting to but words together and its getting me worried now :cry:

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Well-Known Member

My son is 20 months and only says a handful of words - muma, daddy, goal, bye-bye, hello and gone. He does try to copy what I say though and has kind of managed to remember the first line of twinkle twinkle little star! I really wouldn't worry though. I don't mean to play down your fears as I do have times when I worry too but I always think to myself I've never met an adult or older child who can't talk, so he'll get there in the end. Often, you find that they go from saying hardly anything to coming out with complete sentences. Hope you get some progress soon X

3. cathyr4328

cathyr4328 Member

Hi, my lo was saying very little at that age and at 28 months still wasn't saying too much and I was very worried. She was referred to speech therapy then and after a couple of months she has caught up with all the ones the same age and is a real chatterbox putting sentences together and telling me stories. Try not to worry. x

4. QTPie

QTPie Well-Known Member

Very very similar! My little one says very few words clearly, although babbles a LOT.... More things are beginning to get clearer just this past couple of weeks.

His understanding is excellent, just his preferred choice of communication is normally grunts! (well he is a male afterall! ;) ). But he is always so physical, that I think that has always had most of his enthusiasm and energy instead.

I am not worried: he understands well, is engaging, alert, very very observant, gets himself understood. He is just a later developer, in speech, relative to most of his peers. I have absolutely no doubt that he will catch up and most probably overtake in his own time...

5. wellyboot

wellyboot Well-Known Member

Snap! My lo's understanding is fine, but his speech is behind. He can say hello, bye-bye (though it's more like ba-ba), dadda, umma (for Mummy), moo, baa, car, that and there. He ocassionally says the odd word like 'now', 'train' or 'tractor', but nothing is very clear. He can't seem to say a lot of consonant sounds, and although he can say aaaa, I've never heard him make an I or an E sound.

However, I know that there's nothing that will be done until after he's two, so I'm just waiting until then to push for speech and language therapy for him.

I'm worried about it too, but I know two other little boys of his age who are exactly the same, and probably have less speech than him. These threads, where we share our concerns, are great for reminding me that not all every 22 month olds are talking in sentences yet.

What I try to bear in mind when I get too worried, is that all of the children, whether they were early speakers or not, will all be lippy teenagers in the end, whatever route they take to get there!

Welly xx

6. RachA

RachA Well-Known Member

Esther is the same. i wouldn't say she has any clear words that she says at all.
    She has been referred to a speech person but the appointment won't be for 3-4 months.
    She does babble an awful lot and understands a lot. Bizarrely enough she sings 'twinkle twinkle little star' all the time but not so that you know what the words are. She will also say a word once or twice and then never say them again. Like i know she has clearly said daddy, mummy, star, got you, please. But once she's had a reaction from me then she just grins and won't say it again.

If you have a surestart centre near you (assuming you are in the UK) then ask about their ECAT (Every Child A Talker) sessions and see if you can attend them, They are free and you don't need to book a space. I've yet to go to ours but apparently they should help.

7. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

my lo seems to understand loads but dosent say much. She can say mama,dad,shoes,doe (dummy) boo (cat) , no,dog,who this (what she calls her sister) ,whats this, this. But she dosent say those words daily or anything. the hv says she is fine at the moment, i do get worried to

8. danniemum2be

danniemum2be ♥️

sounds exactly like my LO, never shuts up babbling and from the minute she wakes up to the minute she goes to bed is bouncing off the walls, she understands things i tell her and was always well ahead on the physical side even crawling by 5 months just really far behind with her speech x

9. MrsBandEgglet

MrsBandEgglet Mummy to 3, expecting #4

yep same here; arf probably has four or five words and they're not that distinguishable. nursery tbink he's fine and i go to a couple of toddler groups run by family support workers who said they will look at it after christmas but he's very unlikely to be referred to talking toddlers til he's two. i think mostly it's just me fretting about it and constantly comparing to my friends lo's who you can virtually hold a conversation with

10. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

My cousin who's 23 months says very few words which are not very clear & he doesnt even babble. He points & uses gestures to explain what he wants. His sister was the same at that age but now at 12 yrs she speaks using two languages & she's very smart. She didnt need any speech therapy.