• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

22 months and talking?

Dani_b

Expecting number 4 🤰🏼❤️💙❤
Reaction score
just wondering how much a 22 month old should be talking? connor doesnt talk he just makes silly noises at everything.

im sure chloe was talking a lot more at this age but not sure if it was due to her being at nursery for 3 days a week

any help will be great.

I think as long as he understands what you are saying to him and all his other development is on track then he will speak in his own time. Maybe mention it to your HV, Jaymee is only a year at the mo but I remember my little brother didnt talk untull he was around 3 and a half but he had speach therapy first, not sure if that would help. Iv heard people say that boys can be slower at talking than girls.
xx

lilly talksloads i can have a convo with her... but you cant compare to other kids i no loads of kids lillys age that dont talk each are different hun as long as there is understanding there the words will come..... try not to let people get him stuff when he points or makes the silly noise he will learn he has to talk to get it lol xxx

Brody is almost 22 months, he says a fair few words but not really clear enough for others to understand them, for example he point ate the star decorations in the supermarket and says "tar" on occasion its "star" but not often. another example is blue "bue" he cant get the L in there yet. these are both new words to him. but in the last 2 weeks even i have seen him trying to repeat some words when i say them and has learnt a few new ones ( even if they arnt perfect yet , he understands what he means and so do i so it kinda works)
apparently they often have a sort of surge of word learning between now and 2 years ish.

i wouldnt worry he will talk in his own time like the others have said as long as he is understanding a good fdeal the words will come.
i have been amazed at how much Brody is understanding these days conversation wise, he dosnt say body parts yet but will point to them ( if he is in the mood to) and the same with basic shapes and even colours on occasion.
rambling .... anyway i wouldnt worry just yet hun :)

Remember boys are slower in starting to talk than girls so dont compare. As long as he starts talking before his 3rd birthday its all good. Dont worry.

Is he doing other things? Is he pointing and responding to his name? Simple directions? Does he point at things that you name in a book?

The fact that he's babbling is a very good sign and that he'll most likely talk when he's ready. If he's not doing the things above, you might want to ask your dr.

he will point to things and make noisesat them and will do little tasks when asked too.
think it mainly big sister helping too much

A problem that can arise with Second children is the first child speaking for them, I had this problem with Dec, Dan knew what every little grunt and groan ment, so all Dec had to do was point and groan and he got what he wanted. Once we saw the speech therapist (I think he was about 22 months when he saw the therapist) that all stopped, we insisted that he had to ask for what he wanted, it was hard but it helped him, he is 26 months now and still isnt the best talker but he is getting there, recently he started to speak in sentences :). I wouldnt worry to much hun, boys to tend to be a bit slower than girls when it comes to speech, but if your daughter is talking for him I would try and do something about that, depending on what age your daughter is it may be hard for her to understand not to do it but it may help. xx

charlies 19 months and also harldt talks he just babbles mainly mamama and bababa, i talk to him all the time and have alot of family and friends that see him alot so i think some children are just slower than others, charlie seems to do alot but not say alot lol, i keep trying the word books everyday he will point at them and go 'eh' on every page lol xx

A problem that can arise with Second children is the first child speaking for them, I had this problem with Dec, Dan knew what every little grunt and groan ment, so all Dec had to do was point and groan and he got what he wanted. Once we saw the speech therapist (I think he was about 22 months when he saw the therapist) that all stopped, we insisted that he had to ask for what he wanted, it was hard but it helped him, he is 26 months now and still isnt the best talker but he is getting there, recently he started to speak in sentences :). I wouldnt worry to much hun, boys to tend to be a bit slower than girls when it comes to speech, but if your daughter is talking for him I would try and do something about that, depending on what age your daughter is it may be hard for her to understand not to do it but it may help. xx

the eldest is 4 (5 in april)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"