2nd thoughts on no amnio

Jtiki

Reaction score
I'm 39 and pregnant with my first. My risk factor for DS after the NT scan came in at 1 in 1700. I was feeling fairly good about those results and decided not to have the amnio.

But now I'm having second thoughts. All weekend I have been worrying, and I'm not sure why. It's not too late to change my mind but it would have to be almost immediate, I will be 17 weeks soon. I'm not even sure what I would do with the information if it came back "bad." I wouldn't terminate for DS, but I would for Edwards syndrome or something else that may lead to an early death.

I know that only I can make this decision, but I just wanted to vent. I feel so alone.

Only you can answer the question like you say, but I will tell you what i would do in your position: Sit back and just enjoy pregnancy. To get a 1:1700 result is awesome!

Dont feel alone. Everyone does go through the fears, but dont become a worry pot. Your little baby is a strong being. Much stronger than we think, and mother nature...unbelievable. The result you got is great.

Still your decision, but I dont think you will gain any more info putting yourself through Amnio. :hugs:

PS: Our first too :), and I worry just as much!

Its definately got to be your decision. Ive read lots of people saying they wished they had got one because they spent the rest of pregnancy worrying but have also read people saying they were happy with their ratios and werent worried.

Im one of the ones that wont settle without knowing (Im 38 and this is our first) so Im pretty sure Im getting an amnio no matter what my results are. I realise there is a miscarriage risk but I know that I wont stop worrying until baby is here if I dont know if there is anything wrong. Everyone is different and I wish you the best whatever decision to take. x

I think your results are excellent and only you can decide if you feel Amnio is right. Yes, you can still get Amnio at 17 weeks. I wish you all the best. if it was me and I had your numbers no I would not get it, but again we all are different.
XOXOXO All The Best :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Hello

Your results are really great:). Isn't interesting how our minds play tricks with us. I am 38 and my results came back 1:94 chances for ds baby, so after me stressing out about for a couple of days hubby and I decided to do the amnio. I am so glad I did it. Baby is fine and I stopped stressing after got my good results. But your blood test came back really positive so I am not sure if you need to worry about it. But if makes you feel better and you know that all you will be thinking is about is my baby okay, then I would do it. Go with what makes you in peace with yourself.

Everyone is soooooo different, I couldn't enjoy my pregnancies without knowing everything was OK. For me, it was definitely worth doing the CVS both times just for the peace of mind. No one can fault you for needing to know. I do prenatal diagnosis for a living, and many patients do opt to find out even if they wouldn't terminate (for DS for example), just to get themselves emotionally ready for it. Just because one opts for amnio, does NOT mean one has to act on the info gained from it :hugs: hugs: :hugs:

As the other ladies said - your results are great! Entirely up to you - I chose not to have any of the tests but that was entirely my own (and DH) personal decision - we are so pleased to be having this baby we decided we didn't want any testing as for us it wouldn't have made any difference.

I always thought I would have an amnio or cvs myself; after NT/bloods my risk went from 1/27 to 1/162 for ds and 1/40 to 1/955 for others -- I was 43 (now 44), so we decided not to do cvs, at wk 16 scan, discussed with ob/gyn and we decided not to do amnio unless something turned up at the various scans -- my odds after 20wk dropped/raised to 1/300 and the heart (70% of ds have heart problems) is perfect, his nose is the right size, in fact, everything is OK....I know that ultrasound scans cannot give a definitive answer, but combined with bloods, it has a 70-90% accuracy and I have to hope....

I think you need to do what you think is best for YOU; we decided ultimately NOT due to the fear of a miscarriage of a healthy baby and sometimes, I lie in bed almost in panic worrying that something is wrong with the baby, but at my age, I don't know if I could get pregnant again naturally and everything seems ok with this little fellow....

Perhaps you can have a more detailed scan to reassure yourself, otherwise, go for the amnio....?

best wishes

I had worse odds than you 1:1150 and I actually thought that was really good so I stopped worrying! Now you've got me going a little :dohh:

Not too late for an amnio but remember those odds are really, really good. Whatever you decide, good luck and hope your baby's OK!

Looks great to me. I think your fine but you need to do what you feel is best for you! Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->