3 more sleeps... advice re c section please?

myluckyyear

Mum of 2 (1 teen, 1 tiny)
Reaction score
Hello ladies

I'll be having a planned c section on wednesday and wondered if I could sneak into baby club a few days early to see if anyone has any last minute advice?

I'm pretty ok with the procedure, just wondering how to fill my last 2 days? and is there anything you wish you'd known beforehand? Any tips on things to pack (other than the standard things)?

So excited (and a little bit scared!!!) :happydance:

x

Aww :hugs: I remember feeling the same way you did :hugs:

The only thing I wish i'd done is ask the midwife to take more than the one picture of my Daughter just after she was born ~ Oh & I REALLY wish id got a photo of her being lifted over the screen, our 1st look at her :cloud9:

Ive had 3 csections, 1 emergency, 1 semi-emergency, 1 elective...So feel free to ask away :flower:

Thanks Kelly, I'll pass on the recommendations re pics to my OH. He's been taking pics today actually to get used to my camera. My sis had 2 elective sections and was lucky enough to have a nurse offer to take pics the first time. They have an amazing picture of her son being lifted up. I had an emergency section with my son, but that was 16 years ago so it's hard to recall details.

x

Make sure you get a family shot in theatre too :) that's one of my most precious photos.

Pack something nice to drink afterwards water gets boring lol.

I'll think about anything else! :)

Bring some snacks for you, you'll probably be in the hospital for a couple of days. I had my husband bring me a hamburger the day he was born! :) Also bring a magazine for when you are up and baby is sleeping. You may not have time to relax, but you'll want something to do incase you do have a moment. Bring your cell phone if possible with a charger. Ummm, also high waisted underwear to go over the insicion. I also brought my own little travel sized shampoo, soaps, toothpaste so you get to be at home a little that way.

It's reasonable to be scared, but you don't need to. It's such an awesome experience. Do not worry if they rush baby away before you see him. Health first. I asked questions while I was in surgery to understand what was going on. That helped me to stay calm.

Aww :hugs: I remember feeling the same way you did :hugs:

The only thing I wish i'd done is ask the midwife to take more than the one picture of my Daughter just after she was born ~ Oh & I REALLY wish id got a photo of her being lifted over the screen, our 1st look at her :cloud9:

Ive had 3 csections, 1 emergency, 1 semi-emergency, 1 elective...So feel free to ask away :flower:

DSC05297.jpg

I'd love a pic like this, it's my nephew being delivered. Isn't it amazing? (quality not great sorry, had to take a pic of the photo on my phone)

x

Good luck and yes definitely get as many photo's as you can. I was lucky that my cousin who's a student midwife was with me for my section, so she took loads.

This one is my favourite (warning it's a bit gruesome!)

Attachments

• BNB.jpg
    BNB.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 11
Good luck! Drinking straws are a good idea so you dont have to sit up to drink... Big pants that come way over scar, tracksuit or jogging or loose trousers to wear when you leave and slip-on slippers and shoes so you dont need to bend down... Its a good idea to put everything you might need during night at hospital in a large shoulder bag and hang within reaching distance of your hospital bed as it might be tricky getting in and out of bed and reaching for things on the 1st night after op.....

I had a great experience, op took 20 mins, 8 mins to get baby out and 12 mins to staple me up and I was doing housework and looking after LO when I got home after 3 days... x

Good luck and yes definitely get as many photo's as you can. I was lucky that my cousin who's a student midwife was with me for my section, so she took loads.

This one is my favourite (warning it's a bit gruesome!)

Fantastic pic - wish I could take an extra person in with me to take pics, you were very lucky. I'm not sure how my OH feels about taking photos of the actual delivery so I'll have to wait and see what happens on the day.

x

I had an emergency section and found I needed quite a few extra things - over and above what we had already packed in the hospital bag:

You'll prob be in longer than a std birth so more clothes for you and baby. We only had 2 days worth of clothes for junior and quickly ran out.
Lots of baggy pants - you wont want anything tight around your tummy.
Baggy joggers or a loose dress - see above!! I wore a summer dress when my baby was born 1st apr - I just wanted something loose on.
Some nibbles and water.
LOTS of maternity pads - I only took 2 packs with me and soon went through them. (You might need to double up - ie 2 pads side by side)

The biggest thing (as my Hubby just pointed out - just asked him what he thought) is to be mentally prepared and ready for a long recovery. It took me a couple of weeks to get around the house normally, 4 weeks before I was out walking and 6 weeks before I was driving, hoovering and ironing. I think it really helped making myself as mobile as possible, not sitting too much and just doing light housework.

I would also take time to prepare the house for your homecoming - eg; can you set up a changing station downstairs that is high up? You will find it difficult to walk upstairs as you will getting on the floor. We used the kitchen trolley as a changing station until I could walk upstairs.

A high seat in your living room will be helpful at first, we used the computer chair for 4 or 5 days, then I graduated to the sofa but on LOTS of cushions.

Think about the shower too, do you have a shower over a bath? If so, I found it really difficult to step into the bath - lifting my legs so high. Not impossible, just would have been easier with a step.

Hope this doesn't scare you; these are just the things I wish people had told me before my section so I could be prepared. I like to be organised!! ha ha!!

And finally, keep checking your scar or get your partner to check it. The midwife will check but best to keep an eye on it yourself.

It might all sound scary, recovery etc, but its all worth it!!

Good luck, hope all goes well for you

xxx

when people say get big knickers...get REALLY BIG knickers!!!!! The type your nan would wear that come well above your belly button! Although the books say not to use normal 'period' sanitary towels after the cs, I did and would use the nighttime ones but wear them back to front so it came up really high at the front.

On the positive side I was out walking within 5 days of op - pushing pram and everything! I was virtually back to normal after a couple of weeks and totally normal after 4 wks. I had a very quick and lucky recovery so hopefully you will do too... I did keep a basket with nappies, wipes, bibs etc next to sofa so I didnt have to keep going upstairscand OH slept in spare room as I was worried he'd knock my tummy by accident in the night!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->