3 questions. Please help!

ColtonsMom

Reaction score
[ 1 ] when did you start baby with your dinners? I tried giving Colton a few little chopped up (tiny) pieces of spaghetti noodles one night and he kept gagging on them so I havent tried anything else. So, when did you start LO with the odd dinner?

[ 2 ] toast. this may sound silly, but how do you make toast for LO? I bought some for babies but it is hard and dry and colton hates it! I've seen some people on here giving their LOs toast and was wondering what you put on it/do to make it softer? :dohh:

[ 3 ] When did you start introducing Cows milk? When I do should I give him full fat, right?

The baby food always seemed so easy to me; but I'm so confused on the starting him on our food. :hissy:

Kaidenn REFUSED to take anything with lumps in it until he was about 8 + a half months...then i started giving him pasta dishes or rice and he eat them because the lumps were kind of mushy!! I gradually moved him up to more lumpy stuff..he seemed to preger it if it was coming off my plate when I was eating so i made my own dinner and kept a wee bit aside for him with no salt etc and eventually he was fine!! now when were out places I can get him stuff from the kids menus and just cut it up a bit for him!! :D x

[ 1 ] when did you start baby with your dinners?
From about 9 months. We would mash it up with a folk so there were not so many lumps. You can give him what your having but blend until smooth if he doesn't like the bits.
[ 2 ] toast. this may sound silly, but how do you make toast for LO? [/B]
We gave Grace normal bread and put it in the toaster until it went light brown. It was too hard for her when it was really cooked. We put butter on and cut off the crust.
[ 3 ] When did you start introducing Cows milk? When I do should I give him full fat, right?
Yes full fat and from 12 months

He can eat exactly what you eat (minus salt etc) just blend it until smooth and then gradually leave more and more lumps in it until he can eat it just cut up. It can take time for them to get used to lumps and can be a slow process.

Good luck xx

Thanks! He will stare SO hard at what I'm eating, but if I give him his own little bit (really mashed up pieces just sitting on his tray), he doesn't act like he knows what to do. But if I give his the tiniest piece on the end of my finger he will open his mouth and take it. But then he doesn't try and chew it up anymore. Although I do have these "feeders" which are mesh bags, and he loves eating stuff in those now that he has figured them out (he's had carrots & potatoes, and then mac & cheese in them). So I guess I will just give him those until he gets a bit older. I dont have a blender or anything :(
And thanks for the toast answer! I didn't know if I could put butter on it. I didn't know if he should be having butter or not, but didn't know what else you would put on it to make it mushy-ish. :)

[ 1 ] when did you start baby with your dinners? I tried giving Colton a few little chopped up (tiny) pieces of spaghetti noodles one night and he kept gagging on them so I havent tried anything else. So, when did you start LO with the odd dinner?

DD#1 was eating the same thing we were eating for supper by Colton's age. She got her first solids at 4 months and was well on her way to dinners by then. I used one of these:

https://www.kidco.com/img/products/feeding/lg2_f700.jpg

I'd just load the cylinder with 2 or 3 things from the adult table, and grind away. I fed her right from the reservoir at the top and everything ground into separate piles too.

With Sharlotte, I'm delaying things a bit more but will do the same with her until she can get cut up food chunks and chew them.

https://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erub...it.feedingproducts=1&kidco.step=1&kidco.bc=fd

[ 2 ] toast. this may sound silly, but how do you make toast for LO? I bought some for babies but it is hard and dry and colton hates it! I've seen some people on here giving their LOs toast and was wondering what you put on it/do to make it softer? :dohh:

Make the toast, and spread margarine on it. That makes it soft and then you can decrust it and cut it into strips/pieces that he can eat safely.

No cows milk till after one year. This is kinda important, and has been the norm for decades.

Cow's milk is more specific to a baby cow than a baby human. Cow's milk formula is based on cow's milk but has been engineered to be closer to human milk (still a ways off, but closer). Many infants still have problems with cow's milk formula (allergies, GI problems, etc.). Babies who are exposed to cow's milk before their first birthday are more likely to be anemic, have diarrhea or vomiting, and/or experience an allergic reaction (the proteins in milk are more numerous than those in other milk products, such as the yogurt). The excessive protein load in cow's milk can also overload a baby's kidneys. It is deficient in vitamins C, E, and copper. It is harder to digest as well, often causing intestinal blood loss. A number of studies have also indicated that early introduction of cow's milk may contribute to the development of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements.html

There has also been some studies to suggest that 2% milk is just as good for baby as whole milk. I'll see if I can find those studies for your review.

The baby food always seemed so easy to me; but I'm so confused on the starting him on our food. :hissy:

You're doing great! Hugs...

:hug:

Here ya go, I knew I saw this somewhere... American Academy of Pediatrics new recommendations is 2% milk from 12 -24 months rather than whole milk. As of JULY 2008.

https://www.healthnews.com/family-h...merican-academy-pediatrics-weighs-in-1429.htm

Recently, there has been a big change in nutrition advice for infants that has nearly gone unnoticed. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has revised its recommendation that babies that are weaned should be fed whole milk until they are 2 years of age. The new consensus is that reduced-fat 2% milk should be given to weaned infants between the ages of 12 months and 2 years, if they are at all at risk of being overweight, have a family history of high cholesterol, obesity or heart disease.

Whole milk was first considered essential for babies that are being weaned up to 2 years of age because the dietary fats are important for their early brain development. However, the recent studies have shown that kids that are given reduced-fat milk developed normally. According to an AAP and spokeswoman and MD, Tanya R. Altmann, "Children do need a certain amount of fat for brain development. But children now are getting too much fat from other sources. Dairy is very important for child development. Children and adults who consume low-fat dairy products are healthier. So we still recommend three servings a day of low-fat milk over age 2."

This advice came as part of the AAP's recent recommendations for cholesterol screenings for children. But somehow the advice about the milk got lost in the uproar over the advice to give cholesterol-lowering drugs to some kids that are as young as 8 years of age. (See "Cholesterol Medication for Children?") The controversy quickly faded as the parents realized that the AAP suggested using the medications only as a last resort for the less than 1% of kids that had disastrously high cholesterol levels.

The new AAP recommendations appear in the July 2008 issue of the journal Pediatrics and affect a lot more children than recent concerns about prescribing cholesterol for children that covered up the milk recommendations.

Thanks Margerle! I am definitally going to look for one of those grinders! :)

Edit: Just bought one! Now I just have to wait for it to arrive! :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"