3 year contraceptive implant

citygirl1

Reaction score
Is it any good? I have never been on any hormonal contraception but thinking of getting this just for the ease of it. Bit worried about possible side effects tho like weight gain.

my best friend and i had it put in at the same time, 3 years ago. i hated the bloody thing, i had it put in( which is fine, local anaesthetic then it goes in a syringe and pops in your arm) then bled for NINE WEEKS! I wanted it out after 6 but they put me on the pill to control the bleeding (IMO, if i have to be on the pill i might as well just be on the pill lol) after nine weeks i put my foot down, after putting on 2 stone i'd had enough.
my best friend had about four periods the entire time she had it in, and she's only just taken it out as she wants a bubba. she loved it and will have it again after she has a baby. i think it depends on your body, i liked not having to remember my pill - i'm not very good at remembering it, hence lucas hehe but it does reallt suit some people

I have it and I think it's great - I've had 2 periods since I had it put in in December, they're quite light (although longer than they used to be), and I haven't gained weight or anything.
However I've heard very mixed reviews. My doctor said it's best if you keep it in for 6 months because a lot of the side effects change over that time period, but I can understand not wanting to bleed constantly for 6 months!

haha yes they asked me to wait six months, but after being on my period for that long i calmly (or not) said if she didn't take it out, i'd do it myself.

I had it put in 9 weeks ago and was put on the pill last week for 3 months as I bled every day since it was put in! At the moment I'd say don't do it, but if the pill manages to regulate the bleeding and it's all ok when I stop it after 3 months, then maybe I'll have a different opinion.

I have it in right now, getting it taken out in 2weeks time, after having it in for 9mths and 6mths of bleeding.

I had it and hated it, I put on 4 stone even though my eating habits hadn't changed, I bled constantly for 14 months, mood swings, lack of sex drive. It was awful, I was so happy when I had it removed. The only good thing about it I found was that my fertility returned straight away. x x x

My periods basically stopped for the 3 years I had it, I didnt have no weight gain at all, I will be going back onto it soon
___XO

I had them for 9 years in total, loved it. No periods at all and no other side effects. But on the other hand my friend had it and bled constantly for 4 months, she took it out in the end! Think you just can't tell how you react until you try it.

hey hun, it depends how your body reacts to it, everybody is different.
i had this but bled for over 6 months! so had to have it taken out, i had the same problem with coil. i did notice weight gain but my body just doesn't agree to contraception lol
i think this is the best type of contraception if you have no side effects :)
xxx

I have had 2 of these contraceptive implants, one for the full 3 years, and the 2nd one was removed after about a year because of wanting to conceive.

I had no period at all for a few months, then had them every other week or 2 after that. Mostly light though, but they were all over the place. Apparently, it's normal!

I'd tried various pills, but its so easy to forget them. At least with the implant you can just forget about it and get on with life.

I dont think any weight gain that i had was as a result of the implant and I did lose my sex drive, but i'm not sure if that was down to depression or the implant. Who knows.

As with any contraceptive though, it doesn't suit everyone.
I think as long as you have a healthy active lifestyle, and eat the right sort of food etc, i dont think weight gain would be an issue.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->