30.8 bmi

FlumpsMamma

4yo and preg 1st tri
Reaction score
I was weighed today and I'm obese! I'm only a UK size 12-14. This has knocked my confidence quite a lot. My OH who is a fitness instructor and dietician has told me to ignore it because they never take muscle into account with BMI and only the Wright and height and no other contributing factors. (Such as the 12lb of boobage as he put it) I was wondering if any other mothers with high BMI have put on loads of weight. Before my daughter I was 9st and a size 6-8 still had 36D chest though. I guess it's just made me sad to think I'm so overweight and embarrassed that a stranger weighed me. :blush:

I agree with your OH, BMI is a load of rubbish. According to the perfect world of BMI I should be 7st .... I was that once and I was always being told that I looked unhealthy and underweight. I'm currently just over 10st (size 10-12), 1st less than I was with DS BMI then was 28 (overweight), my appointment yesterday had me weighed with a BMI of 26 and the midwife said I looked perfect for my build.

Hubby has the same issue of being classed as morbidly obese, the ideal BMI for him is ridiculous. He had to get health cover when we bought our new place and only one company ignored his BMI and used his waist size deeming him perfectly healthy. With the way his BMI claims you'd think he was one of these giant people who struggle to fit through a door, rather than a 6'5 big build with a bit of muscle on top :S

I think it's a tad outdated. Pre-pregnancy I worked out quite intensively and now do floor work/weights and I weigh quite heavy based on the muscle I carry. I think it's just about being comfortable with yourself. If you eat healthy and workout or in fact if you don't do either you know if you're healthy or not.
Try not to worry too much :hugs:

Thank you :) I used to have a problem with my weight and eating becAuse of being bullied for being a chubby child and being told today that I should think about losing weight while pregnant just brought back horrible memories and feelings I thought I had overcome.

I used to play softball for my Division 1 college team and was working out like crazy. I had a ton of muscle and barely any fat, and I was still considered obese by BMI calculations. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

According to BMI I am deadly underweight which is inpossible because I am pregnant, always had regular menses, grow very long healthy hair...you get the picture :lol:

BMI does not take so many things into account. I was once diagnosed with having extremely small and slender bones. Think teenager. These don't weigh a lot. My chest is so small my heart is tilted so it can fit.
For people with a larger frame and muscles it is the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->