37 Weeks, Breech

Paxton

Mum + Wife-to-be
Reaction score
Had an ultrasound today. I was hoping she'd tell me the gender, but she said, "I know what it is, but I can't tell you". Hospital policy or something, but I sort of feel like she was taunting me.

Then she said that baby is 7lbs 11oz. Is that big for 37 weeks? DS was 7lbs 1oz when he was born.

THEN she said that baby was 'frank breech', which is - it's head and feet are up by my ribs and it's bum is down. Baby is sort of... folded...

I don't want another c-section! I was trying for a VBAC, does this mean that I can totally forget it, and I'll have to go for an elective section? My first section was because DS was transverse - he was head down, but his shoulders were at my stomach and back. I don't want another c-section :cry::cry::cry:

i really dont know hun, some people can deliver a breach baby, but i dont think many hosps are very happy about letting you and will prob try their hardest to get you to have a c-sec. you could always ask if they r willing to try to turn baby for you but have heard this is quite painful :-( xx

I'm 37+3 and had an ECV yesterday which successfully turned my footling breech baby. Explore all your options if you don't want a csection. I think anything is worth a shot because I really want a natural birth. I was trying acupuncture and moxibustion before yesterday's ECV also. I only found out a few days ago that baby was breech. Hopefully baby stays head down now.

I'm 37+3 and had an ECV yesterday which successfully turned my footling breech baby. Explore all your options if you don't want a csection. I think anything is worth a shot because I really want a natural birth. I was trying acupuncture and moxibustion before yesterday's ECV also. I only found out a few days ago that baby was breech. Hopefully baby stays head down now.

I've heard a little about ECV, just what I've found online, it's a 50/50 chance, most likely to work with frank breech (like mine), although I keep finding mixed answers for experience? Is it painful? Apparently some women had to have an epidural because it was that bad?

I safely delivered a frank breech, naturally with no pain meds. Frank breech is actually the safest to deliver vaginally of all the breeches. They will try to bully you into another c-section though if baby stays breech.

I safely delivered a frank breech, naturally with no pain meds. Frank breech is actually the safest to deliver vaginally of all the breeches. They will try to bully you into another c-section though if baby stays breech.

Is it safer than a c-section?

I'd be lying if I said that the idea of having another section pretty well traumatizes me, but I'll get over it (eventually). I don't want to put the baby's life or my life at risk.

Which brings another question. Is ECV even safe if you've had a previous c-section?

And I dunno if it helps, but baby is 7lbs 11oz right now.

Hey hun have they told you different positions to try to get him to turn?? My first dd turned breech at the last minute but after a few hours of work we got her turned so I could deliver natural. I was on all 4 rocking back and forth. The nurses were rubbing my belly to coax her to turn. Maybe talk to your Ob or MW and maybe they can help while there is still time. GOOD LUCK.XX

Hey hun have they told you different positions to try to get him to turn?? My first dd turned breech at the last minute but after a few hours of work we got her turned so I could deliver natural. I was on all 4 rocking back and forth. The nurses were rubbing my belly to coax her to turn. Maybe talk to your Ob or MW and maybe they can help while there is still time. GOOD LUCK.XX

I actually have a doctor appointment tomorrow (I guess today cause it's almost 2am), so I'll talk to him and see if he says anything...

Hope baby turns for you. I have a scan tomorrow to find this out too but my mw told me that the policy would be to do a C section here in BC. I hear that the ECV can be quite painful but its certainly worth trying, I dont think size of baby matters.

I actually have a doctor appointment tomorrow (I guess today cause it's almost 2am), so I'll talk to him and see if he says anything...

Good luck hun. Keep us updated.

I've heard a little about ECV, just what I've found online, it's a 50/50 chance, most likely to work with frank breech (like mine), although I keep finding mixed answers for experience? Is it painful? Apparently some women had to have an epidural because it was that bad?

It was painful at some parts, other times just a lot of pressure and very very uncomfortable, but it only lasts 2-3 mins so it's possible to persevere because you know it willfinish. THey stopped halfway to check on the ultrasound too. No way necessary for an epidural though, just have to remember to breathe throughout and I figured the pain and discomfort was worth it if it meant a natural birth might me possible.

So my doctor appointment today... Didn't happen :( Big old snow storm, the whole town has temporarily shut down so I'm stuck waiting for the reschedualed date of the appointment - Jan 31st. Monday.

Although I did get to talk to the receptionist at his office and she said they didn't get the ultrasound report yet. So HOPEFULLY, they'll have it by Monday and I'll get to know the gender :D

I had an ECV at 38+4 and it failed.

I was supposedly perfect candidate- tiny bump, tiny baby etc but nope - baby refused to budge with one doctor gripping her head and another doctor gripping her bum and them both trying to turn.

It was a horrible experience and I would never do it again.

I would happily have another section if need be.

Wish you luck:flower:

Go to spinning babies https://www.spinningbabies.com/baby-positions/breech-bottoms-up
It has ways you can try at home to get baby to move head down.
If you want to try a vaginal birth, then speak to your consultant. A frank breech is the best breech to deliver vaginally, but a lot of doctors are inexperienced, or simply make it easier on themselves and do a section, but ultimately it is up to you.

Hope all goes well for you! x
Do try the advice on the spinning babies site as it worked for me. I had a midwife appointment last week on tues and baby was transverse, he had been oblique breech the week before. I went home and did the exercises on all fours with my bum elevated and rocked and swayed alot, also tried some :sex: with as much movement as poss :blush:
I had a scan the next day and baby had turned head down :happydance: , which i was chuffed about as they were saying about trying to turn him and then inducing me after.

my baby is weighing in at 7.10 lbs already the doctor thinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"