37th percentile....is this a good or bad thing?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by brunette&bubs, Jan 31, 2011.

1. brunette&bubs

brunette&bubs Mommy to James

I had an appt. with my OB this morning and she measured the baby.

He is just under 6 lbs. and is in the 37th percentile.

Is this a good thing? Or does it mean he is too small?

2. alynn6758

alynn6758 Well-Known Member

Just remember when they measure its an estimate, they can be way off sometimes...as long as baby is at 5lbs8oz or more by birth they are considered to have a normal birth weight. You may see him have some more weight on him towards the end, could still come out at 7 or 8blbs by birth...I was told as long as baby isn't in the 10th percentile that its ok. My little girl is in the 51% at 30w4d and my boys were always in the 90th. A friend of mine they told her baby was going to be like 8lbs and she ended up being 6lbs. So as long as they monitor baby and he looks good I'm sure everything will be fine. :) :hugs:

3. brunette&bubs

brunette&bubs Mommy to James

LOL, actually I'm getting induced next wednesday for medical reasons...
    So I'm assuming he will be 6 lbs. and a few ounces at birth if the ultrasound is correct.

4. alynn6758

alynn6758 Well-Known Member

oh well, at least you will know he's about 6lbs, and that he'll be here soon :) I would bring a premie size outfit just in case he too small for newborn sizes...the friend I was telling you about, the newborn sizes swamped her baby, way to big, they had to run out and buy a few premie outfits and she was 6lbs3oz...I'm sure he will be fine hun...its got to be so exciting knowing exactly when you will have him :)

5. Sab4kids

Sab4kids Well-Known Member

Its unfortunate that they tell moms to be #'s like that when they are just guesses. My sister in law was told her baby was 11lbs!!! and that she needed a c-section. Her son was 6lbs! She was upset and angry that such a differrence was calculated and she ended up with a c/s. Don't worry and even if it was accurate all babies are unique and grow at there own pace.

6. Breezy

Breezy Mommy to one gorgeous boy

Mine is in the 44th percentile as of last Tuesday. 6 pounds 5 ounces! My little brother was born full term at 5 pounds 14 ounces and was perfect.

7. Lilly12

Lilly12 Mommy & #2 on board

I wouldn't cling on their charts too much.
    Every child is different, as long as your baby is growing I wouldn't worry.
    6 lbs is fine, my baby is "estimated" to be around 6-7lbs full term.

I was 7lbs and my husband was 6lbs at birth.

8. bethanchloe

bethanchloe Well-Known Member

Apparently my girl's up at the 92nd percentile and although I don't invest a lot of faith in the numbers the midwife assured me that all the lumps and bumps and heaviness I'm feeling are baby and not fluid - joy joy joy!