39 (40 in a month!) and TTC

mercedes2010

Mom of two girls!!
Reaction score
It's been eight long years since I was here and my last TTC efforts lasted a little less than six months with the conception at age 32 of my second daughter. She is now six years old and sadly her father passed almost two years ago. Last October, I reconnected with an old nursing school friend and he and I have been dating. We're at the beginning now of our own TTC journey. I know it seems rushed but we have known each other for years and we both want a baby. He has none of his own and with 40 looming for me I must admit the baby fever is strong.
So I'm on day 15 of my cycle and have had no LH surge. I waited to test on day 12 so I may have missed it but in the past my surge was always late in the cycle. Things may have changed. Any advice or help with this would e most appreciated!! We may be out for this month in which case I will be 40 next cycle.

Hi hope u dont mind me jumping in.
Me and my husband decided we wanted to ttc a 3rd baby. We had been discussing it for a few years and last summer we both decided to give it a go.
I was really worried because of my age. But here I am 39 years old and almost 17 weeks pregnant. It happened quite quickly which I was totally surprised about. Everything I was reading on line was indicating it can take much longer to get pregnant if u are over 35. Well in my case that was wrong.
So it can happen hon and it can happen fast.

I was told that my chances of losing this baby within the first 12 weeks was real high due to my age so I spent the whole first trimester stressing out.
I've spoken to my high risk pregnancy consultant about that dr had upsett mr and caused alot of anxiety and I was told that that doctor shud never of spooked me out so much and that many womon now are having babies in there late 30s and 40s.
Good luck hon sending lots of baby dust:dust:

Good luck to you! I had a baby boy 5 months ago at 40. He was a surprise since we thought we had a really low chance of conceiving naturally. His big brother was an IVF baby. My doctor never made me feel like I was at a higher risk due to my age. In fact, I had an easy pregnancy, a standard c-section, and a beautiful, healthy baby.
Just don't lose hope. Give it time, enjoy the intimacy, don't put crazy pressure on each other!
Good luck on your journey, both with your new love and your wish for a baby together!

Thanks ladies. I think we're really out this month but maybe for my birthday...:sex::yellow:

Hi, I'm 42 and noticed my O day is a bit earlier these days. I O'd CD11 this month, which is 3 days earlier than it has been for years. Hoping it doesn't affect things too much.

Anyway, if you have your period regularly you have a good chance of getting pregnant. Just enjoy the journey :) All the best, praying you get your BFP soon.

Keep that chin up! I’m 24 weeks pregnant - conceived at 40 and am now 41 yrs old. It’s my first child as it took a long while to find the right partner and I didn’t want to set off on the parenthood journey on my own.

I think it is helpful to start daily LH (ovulation) testing right after the end of your period, especially if you are older as it will get earlier and earlier in the years approaching menopause. I ovulate on day 10/11 usually and would have missed it every month testing later on. I used the cheap eBay purchased sticks so cost hardly anything, and the first few months before even trying seriously I tested this way to really know my own cycle. By the time we started trying seriously I knew when I would ovulate and only tested from days 8-11.

This is my second pregnancy - I got pregnant on the first proper attempt (we are using donor sperm) but had an early miscarriage, and this pregnancy began 5 months later.

Wow. This all makes perfect sense. We're out for this month but I'm on day 6 of my cycle so the testing will start again this week. Yes, I must be o'ing earlier these days. 7-8 years ago I usually got my surge around day 12 but when I tested I got no surge this month. Si I'm going to start testing on day 8 this cycle. Thanks so much for the kind words and wishes!!

Well it's day 8 of my cycle and we DTD this morning even though it's too soon (no surge yet) but we were just in the mood! And we're trying to not to make sex a chore even though at our age TTC can become that. Our official second month of TTC is underway...I'm expecting my surge to hit me this weekend if I ovulate at all [-o<.

Day 10 and still no surge. The lines aren't even getting darker. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting anxious. Early days so we'll see.

Just keep at it - maybe you don’t ovulate every month anymore. The medical advice is that having sex every 2-3 days during your fertile window is enough to work even without any OPK testing, as sperm can last up to 7 days so should be hanging around waiting for that precious egg whenever it makes an appearance.

I’m so pleased you are trying to keep enjoying the sex as well - it is all too easy for the whole thing of test, sex, test, disappointment, period, test......to become an unpleasant merry go round!

Just keep at it - maybe you don’t ovulate every month anymore. The medical advice is that having sex every 2-3 days during your fertile window is enough to work even without any OPK testing, as sperm can last up to 7 days so should be hanging around waiting for that precious egg whenever it makes an appearance.

I’m so pleased you are trying to keep enjoying the sex as well - it is all too easy for the whole thing of test, sex, test, disappointment, period, test......to become an unpleasant merry go round!

Thanks so much, especially the sweet words about the sperm waiting around for the egg! It gives me hope! I finally did get my surge the next day but it was brief and, yes, we took advantage of it!! Now I'm in the TWW and about to pull out my hair symptom spotting and reminding myself I'm not 20 or even 30 anymore. :shy: And this is only our second cycle TTC and my brain says it could take a year or more while my heart is wanting it NOW!!!

Really hope AF stays away and you get a BFP. Wishing you all the best of luck.
I dont if I said in my other post a few posts up but my aunty had my cousin when she was 41. I was also told my my Ob/gyn that 39/40 is not to old to have a baby. Good luck hon

Hang on in there......it is the only way to be in with a chance of pregnancy if you try! I don’t envy you though - the endless merry go round of stress of testing, counting, period waiting is certainly a rollercoaster.

Hope you will have BFP this cycle. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->