3rd section and nervous

EmmaFTM

Reaction score
I was nervous about the birth and any adhesions etc but, after a meeting with my consultant during which he went on and on about preventing a fourth pregnancy, I’m more worried about uterine rupture now.

I’ve had two emergency c-sections, in 2011 and 2014, both very traumatic and so made the decision, after a failed VBAC with my second due to not progressing (my daughter was 10lbs 10oz at birth), to go for an elective this time around.

When I saw the consultant, he basically said that I need to be on high alert from now (I’m 26 weeks) until the birth, for signs of my uterus rupturing. I had read this could happen during an attempt at a VBAC but he was saying how I could start bleeding at any time or have significant pain in my scar area and have to rush to get to the nearest hospital- literally freaked me out!

I went home and looked it up, trying to make sense of it and I’m still struggling to understand just how much of a risk I’ve taken. I was scared and worried before but I’m literally on edge now and wanted to ask you ladies if anyone has had a similar experience or knows anything about uterine rupture- can I have a private scan to check for thinning of the uterus? I emailed my local scan centre and they said it would have showed up on my 20 week scan if there was an issue.

Can anyone offer advice/research links? Thank you. X

Oh wow, hun! I wish your Dr didn't scare you that much! I would take his advice about listening to your body and maybe ask some clarifying questions at your next appointment. My guess is that he doesn't want you to try for a vbac Or wants you to watch carefully for signs of labor? I will have my third c section this June and Drs are not worried at all.

Oh wow, hun! I wish your Dr didn't scare you that much! I would take his advice about listening to your body and maybe ask some clarifying questions at your next appointment. My guess is that he doesn't want you to try for a vbac Or wants you to watch carefully for signs of labor? I will have my third c section this June and Drs are not worried at all.

I will be doing that for sure, I did wonder, and have asked myself ever since the meeting, whether he had my notes and was saying these things for a reason as he was concerned but he didn’t even seem to know that he had been my consultant with my second daughter and so that doesn’t explain it.

I was one week over with my first and two weeks overdue with my second and so I don’t have a history of being early but you never know. I’m going to quiz my midwife at my next appointment and see if she can offer any support or be able to explain his concerns to me. Funny thing is, she was hopeful that I would go to the meeting and be made to feel more at ease about he whole thing but it’s done the opposite in fact!

Wishing you a happy and healthy nine months. Xx

I will be having c-section number 3 this March and the only thing my doctors have said to me is this time around baby will be delivered at 37 weeks because they do not want me going in to labor at all. There are risks with having so many c-sections, but nothing that you should be stressing daily over. There are also risks with delivering vaginally also. I just wouldn't try for a vbac since there are certain risks with it especially after have 2 sections. xoxoxox You will be fine.

I will be having c-section number 3 this March and the only thing my doctors have said to me is this time around baby will be delivered at 37 weeks because they do not want me going in to labor at all. There are risks with having so many c-sections, but nothing that you should be stressing daily over. There are also risks with delivering vaginally also. I just wouldn't try for a vbac since there are certain risks with it especially after have 2 sections. xoxoxox You will be fine.

Thank you for your reply. I don’t think my consultant put it in the best way and so I have been worrying daily, searching the internet for answers and getting myself worked up. I’ve been told it will be week 39 for my section but I have a growth scan booked for 34 weeks so they can check his size.

With two babies at home, I think it makes it difficult to get your head around someone telling you that you have put yourself at risk but I’m doing my best to work it through. Thanks again. Xx

Sounds like he over played it a bit! Yes the risks do increase with each pregnancy but they are still extremely small and you are very very unlikely to rupture. I would definitely step away from google too as it won't help you! Look out for anything that seems unusual but other than that really try not to worry, plenty of people have 3 sections but I expect he was trying to warn you off having a Vba2c and also about getting pregnant again as the risks of a 4th are actually quite increased as your uterus has already taken 3 incisions so personally I wouldn't risk another pregnancy.
Please do try not to worry and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, hopefully the midwife will be able to put your mind at rest a bit xx

I have had 4 c-sections, and a uterine rupture with my third baby.

I didn't even know I had one! There was pain, and sometimes it had me curled up on the floor, but my midwife always said it was my ligaments and scar tissue acting up.

Anyway, it comes to c-section day and the surgeon gasps and says I have a rupture. Nothing bad came of it, Emma did go to the SCBU but she was over a week early and just wanted ready to come out yet (had really 'wet' lungs and couldn't keep her oxygen levels up).

I got my tubes tied, but was going to do so anyway. I did have a lot of adhesions, so had a drain in and had my catheter in for 4 days, and a couple of ultrasounds to check on things.

The surgeon did say it was very unusual/rare for someone to present like that. It was scary, but not too bad and no one made a big deal out of it.

I have had 4 c-sections, and a uterine rupture with my third baby.

I didn't even know I had one! There was pain, and sometimes it had me curled up on the floor, but my midwife always said it was my ligaments and scar tissue acting up.

Anyway, it comes to c-section day and the surgeon gasps and says I have a rupture. Nothing bad came of it, Emma did go to the SCBU but she was over a week early and just wanted ready to come out yet (had really 'wet' lungs and couldn't keep her oxygen levels up).

I got my tubes tied, but was going to do so anyway. I did have a lot of adhesions, so had a drain in and had my catheter in for 4 days, and a couple of ultrasounds to check on things.

The surgeon did say it was very unusual/rare for someone to present like that. It was scary, but not too bad and no one made a big deal out of it.

Crikey! That does sound scary to me- exactly what I’ve been worrying about. Everything I’ve looked up says you have very little time to get the baby out once you rupture- how long do you think you had the pain before your c-section? X

Ages, it was there for weeks! I meant I had 3 c-sections up there too. Silly phone.

The surgeon said it might have been there a while. Bit it wasn't near my placenta and nothing bad came of it.

It never showed in any scans though, and I had a few late term ones, so who knows!

I'm going for my third c-section in 3 weeks! I'll be 39+4. I wasn't worried until after my appointment this week! I was looking at the notes and my "diagnosis" changed from normal pregnancy to "high risk". I'm not sure why, but I'll ask next week. I'm getting my tubes tied with this one because I'm scared of the risks of a 4th (they are much higher than the risks with a 3rd).

I'm going for my third c-section in 3 weeks! I'll be 39+4. I wasn't worried until after my appointment this week! I was looking at the notes and my "diagnosis" changed from normal pregnancy to "high risk". I'm not sure why, but I'll ask next week. I'm getting my tubes tied with this one because I'm scared of the risks of a 4th (they are much higher than the risks with a 3rd).

Is it because you need to see a consultant you are high risk- I’m not sure? Maybe because the risk of scar rupture is increased and so more of a risk?
I’m on at my hubby to have the snip but need to look in at which is most effective as I definitely know this will be our last baby.
I’m still worrying about the risks and what my consultant said, it’s on my mind all the time and has caused me some degree of anxiety which, with 11 weeks to go, I’m sure will not disappear. Going to see midwife next week and she will have lots of questions from me. Hope you get answers to your questions too. Xx

My husband is having a vasectomy after this one. It's a much easier and lower risk procedure than tube tying and means I can recover from my section more easily! Been to see the doctor already and op is in a few months, I wanted some time to get back on my feet after the section before I have him out of action moaning about how awful it is 🙄

And yeah I reckon you are high risk as it's your third section and they class anything over 2 as high risk as chances of rupture are higher, my consultant wanted to make sure we didn't want any more children before he signed off on my next section (not that I had much choice in the section!) but I think he was please when I said we weren't having any more! X

It makes sense they'd code me high risk, but they didn't tell me!
I tell the hospital at my pre-op about my anxiety so they know as soon as baby is out to give me a very small dose of anxiety medicine in my iv! (enough to calm me, but not enough that I forget or sleep so I can still do skin to skin)

Im scheduled for my third csection in 2 weeks time. However a lengthy discussion with consultant and extra scans I will be allowed a vba2c if I so wish. Though they do think im slightly crazy I have no issues with that and there is nothing to say I can't do it x I would definitely question the midwife and the consultant should not have scaremongered you like that!! Mine calmly explained that there was a risk but it was relatively unknown as no one really attempts natural after 2 sections and as far as she was concerned she could see no reason why I shouldnt be allowed if I so wished. However if I dont go naturally then my section is prebooked and will go ahead as normal.

I am also due to have my 3rd C section. I won't know the exact gestation until 36 weeks, but it will be between 38-39weeks. I was under the impression that the main risk was in labour, as my consultant wants me to avoid that. I do have a growth scan at 34 weeks, I guess if baby is on the large side that could cause a rupture so they may then go closer to 38 weeks. I am seeing my consultant next week after my scan I will ask him!

Saw the midwife and she was also upset with how I had been told about this risk. She said that consultants do it all the time as they just think about giving medical advice and not about who they are talking to and how they might be feeling about a c-section. She tried to reassure me but knows I will continue to worry until baby is here safe and sound.

She also suggested writing a birth plan for the day of the elective. She said that it would help me prepare and picture how I want things to go on the day. Has anyone else done this??

I really want to enjoy the next 9 weeks (well as much as one can enjoy the final few weeks of pregnancy) as this will be the last time I will be pregnant, and look forward to seeing bubba at our 34 week scan.

I suppose, at some point, you just have to come to terms with ‘what will be will be’. X

Saw the midwife and she was also upset with how I had been told about this risk. She said that consultants do it all the time as they just think about giving medical advice and not about who they are talking to and how they might be feeling about a c-section. She tried to reassure me but knows I will continue to worry until baby is here safe and sound.

She also suggested writing a birth plan for the day of the elective. She said that it would help me prepare and picture how I want things to go on the day. Has anyone else done this??

I really want to enjoy the next 9 weeks (well as much as one can enjoy the final few weeks of pregnancy) as this will be the last time I will be pregnant, and look forward to seeing bubba at our 34 week scan.

I suppose, at some point, you just have to come to terms with ‘what will be will be’. X

I have to say I think your consultant has been way OTT with you. My consutnant has been anything but that, he his very calm and reassuring, I do work in the medical field, not obstetrics however. From all I have read the main risk is in labour and after 2 c sections, that risk is about 1.7% so tiny. The only thing that can really increase that is if you have a vertical mid incision, which most of us don't. Most of us have a low transverse incision which rarely causes a rupture. When they do rupture in pregnancy and not labour it's often a very small tear and this is extremely rare and more likely in a large baby than anything else. Try and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and remember what your midwife said, your consultant should not have unnecessarily worried you like this :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->