4+1 and positive tests aren't super dark yet. *Update pg 4*

Oh and I had HORRIFIC cramping and brown spotting at 4.5 weeks too, it was awful. And all is well!

Hi Isme!

I didn't realise that you had moved over as well! Congratulations! We are almost exactly the same date as well, I'm currently 4 plus 2. You were so supportive to me when I had given up hope at the beginning of the year.

I don't have much experience really, but with both this and my last pregnancy I only ever got faint lines that you could only see if you held the test up to the light. Last time was a FRER at 4 plus 1 and this time with a clear blue at 3 plus 4 (I have a short cycle). Both times however I have got a positive result on a Clear Blue digital on the same day. Normal line test just don't seem to work for me.

I hope that everything is ok. Cramping is always disconcerting on the early stages, but I think quite usual x

Congratulations to you too, schnoogles. I'm so, so happy to see you over here!

I'm still not sure what's going on with me, but thanks for the support. I hope things are going well for you. <3

My test at 4+1 was such a barely-there squinter (on a flat FRER too) that I assumed evap. At 4+2 it was still incredibly light, like some ladies get at 9-10 dpo. I'm now 18 weeks with a squirmy healthy baby.

Thank you for sharing! I'm so happy to read all these positive stories. Congratulations on your squirmy 18-weeker. :D

So I'm not sure how things are going at this point. I went to my regular doctor who confirmed the pregnancy, congratulated me, and said there was nothing to worry about. I continued to take tests, though, and was pleased to slowly watch them get darker. I'm 20dpo now and still cramping but my tests are much darker. I was finally starting to feel the tiniest bit hopeful.

Unfortunately, that changed when someone made an appointment for me with a midwife for this afternoon. I was a bit nervous, as I wasn't expecting to see them until I was further along... but I took a couple of tests about 2 hours before the appointment, and I was thrilled to see that the test and control line just about matched.

I knew this wasn't going to be a fun appointment s soon as the midwife walked in. She was not familiar (I'd delivered my youngest at that facility) and didn't look especially excited to see me. She asked me a couple questions and then started rambling about how she wished things were like they were 40 years ago. "Women couldn't test for pregnancy at home, and they weren't allowed to come in until they had missed at least TWO periods..." blah, blah, blah. I smiled and tried to politely listen to her rant, but my heart was sinking. She finally told me that my pregnancy test results were "very, very light". She said something like she "shouldn't have to squint to see line", or whatever. I told her that I'd been concerned about that in the beginning (especially since I was cramping), but my tests jab steadily been getting darker-- and I had even taken two tests right before coming, and the lines nearly matched! She didn't care. She said she wanted to get a blood test done to check HCG levels to see if it was even viable before she worried about finishing the first appointment. I guess I'd also had a bit of blood in my urine, which made her fairly confident that my period was on its way.

She also said that cramping can be normal, but since I'd mentioned pressure and fullness, she was concerned about an ectopic. She wanted to send me for an ultrasound right away but I was panicking. My DH had to go to work in a couple hours, and the only person who came to my appointment was my 13-year-old. I just wanted to have a good cry, and I needed to be home to do it.

I go back Wednesday to have another draw to see if the levels are doubling, but I feel so done already. It seems like the only question left is whether or not my fallopian tube is on its way to rupturing. :(

So that's that.

I'm so sorry, that midwive was horribly rude to you! There's no way their test was only a squinter if you got good lines just hours before!
And even if there is really something to worry about, this is no way to talk to a patient!

I'm sorry you had to go through this :hugs: i'm having my fingers crossed that all will be fine and your levels rise as they should. And an ectopic can be rules out

:hugs:

I agree with pp. If you had dark lines before the appointment and then lighter lines during the appoinent surely that's just urine concentration? I'm shocked a professional would behave like that. I've seen so many fertility doctors over the years and they all agreed that lines on a test are in no way an indicator of how a pregnancy is progressing. Too many factors can effect them. And surely blood in your urine would signal a urine infection rather than a failing pregnancy? Can you not arrange another scan to see what's going on? At this point it's probably your best option as there's only so much bloods can tell you. If there is even a chance you are going through an eptopic then you need urgent medical care.

So my first blood level came back at 664. That doesn't seem outrageously low to me? Not the highest I've seen, but certainly not th lowest either... Obviously doubling time matters more, but WTF? The nurse told me that the results indicated that I was pregnant (as if that was in question after 30+ clearly positive tests), but said I was very, very early. I was expecting to hear something below 100 when I asked her what the number was. I would have known then it wasn't viable, because I got a positive digital test at 14dpo. I was shocked when she told me 664. I find it hard to believe that amount of hcg only showed up super, super faint on their test. They must have the worst tests in the world!

I'm so sorry, that midwive was horribly rude to you! There's no way their test was only a squinter if you got good lines just hours before!
And even if there is really something to worry about, this is no way to talk to a patient!

I'm sorry you had to go through this :hugs: i'm having my fingers crossed that all will be fine and your levels rise as they should. And an ectopic can be rules out

:hugs:

It was just crazy. I came home and got a nice dark line on a cheap First Signal test. No squinting required. And that's exactly what I was thinking-- even if she is right, there are certainly better ways of getting her message across.

Thank you for the support and the crossed fingers. :hugs:
I agree with pp. If you had dark lines before the appointment and then lighter lines during the appoinent surely that's just urine concentration? I'm shocked a professional would behave like that. I've seen so many fertility doctors over the years and they all agreed that lines on a test are in no way an indicator of how a pregnancy is progressing. Too many factors can effect them. And surely blood in your urine would signal a urine infection rather than a failing pregnancy? Can you not arrange another scan to see what's going on? At this point it's probably your best option as there's only so much bloods can tell you. If there is even a chance you are going through an eptopic then you need urgent medical care.

I actually asked the nurse what blood in the urine might also indicate other than an impending period (already knowing the answer) and when she told me a UTI, I told her that I'm prone to them. (Which I am.) Neither her nor the midwife bothered to explore that possibility. I did actually call them back and tell them that I would go for a scan today if they wanted. I was just so upset yesterday, and I wasn't thinking clearly.

Sounds like you received very poor care from her. Totally understandable why you were so upset. I'd defo try and get a scan, check your blood levels and then go from there. Hopefully all is fine. But I'd put in a complaint agaisnt that midwife! Hope things go ok for you!

Sounds like you received very poor care from her. Totally understandable why you were so upset. I'd defo try and get a scan, check your blood levels and then go from there. Hopefully all is fine. But I'd put in a complaint agaisnt that midwife! Hope things go ok for you!

Thank you. :hugs: The midwife called me and said she would set up an ultrasound, but that everything was "probably fine". After that doom an gloom crap yesterday, she says things are probably fine today? I will not b going back to her. I'm going for an ultrasound today, and I will go back for my second blood draw... But I will be seeking an alternate provider if this pregnancy does turn out to be viable.

Doctor tests are notoriously shite. In fact where I am they won't even do a pregnancy test for you, once you tell them you had a positive at home they contact midwife and add onto her books then it's a case of waiting. They don't even do hcg betas unless you're in considerable pain or bleeding!

Doctor tests are notoriously shite. In fact where I am they won't even do a pregnancy test for you, once you tell them you had a positive at home they contact midwife and add onto her books then it's a case of waiting. They don't even do hcg betas unless you're in considerable pain or bleeding!

These have to be some absolutely crap tests. What kind of pee stick only shows up as a squinter when you have an HCG of over 600? I had been super excited right before my appointment because I'd dipped one of my most faded low-dye crappy internet strips, and the test line pretty much matched th control and was SO visible. To then turn around just a couple hours later and hear the midwife talk about the pregnancy being non-viable because the test line was EXTREMELY faint (which is exactly what she put in her notes), was like a punch to the gut.

I ended up getting all the way to the ultrasound table today, and decided not to have it done. This midwife is a wackadoo. The tech insisted it was impossible to see anything before my levels reached 1000-- whether I have a pregnancy in my womb or my fallopian tube. We were about to have a transvaginal scan for absolutely no reason. The tech said I was not the first person this midwife had done this to. She said the last lady left too. Just ridiculous! I ended up rescheduling for Monday, when I know they should be able to see something.

I'm so sorry! Early pregnancy is nerve wrecking enough without the additional trauma and abuse from medical personnel. You have endured so much already! I hope that you're going to have a healthy 9 months and that you never have to see that witch of a midwife again.

I'm so sorry! Early pregnancy is nerve wrecking enough without the additional trauma and abuse from medical personnel. You have endured so much already! I hope that you're going to have a healthy 9 months and that you never have to see that witch of a midwife again.
Thank you for the support. :hugs:

I just wanted to update for anyone Googling or using the search feature.

I had an ultrasound and beta draw exactly one week after the first beta came back at 664. My HCG levels were over 7600, which is right on track. My ultrasound also went well. The tech confirmed that it was not an ectopic pregnancy. She did only see a sac that was measuring 5w6d (only one day behind what I assumed I was, but it makes sense) but she said it was completely normal not to see a yolk or fetal pole yet. I'm going she was right and that I can breath easy since things seem to be on track.

I also want to say that my tests did get much darker. By the 5th week the lines pretty much matched, but even with an HCG in the thousands, my First Signal (88 cent Wal-Mart tests) didn't have tests lines darker than the control. My dollar tree tests were just barely darker when my HCG was over 7,000. So after all that, I feel safe saying that line darkeness does seem to matter, but only up to a certain point. Also I would say it only matters when comparing the same tests over a period of a few days. Not all tests are created equal, as I learned from this whole traumatizing experience with my midwife who had to "squint" to see a line on the clinic's test when my HCG was at 664. (Good grief!)

Good luck to anyone else dealing with a similar situation! :flower:

I'm so pleased that everything is looking good. Now you can start to relax abit and enjoy it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"